Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: VAR - ffs

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Handball is Handball for me. Who is going to admit that they handled on purpose? absolutely no-one. The rules of the game used to be so simple, some of the changes just complicate things.
    I don't think it can be that simple though, there is always going to be some element of interpretation on the referees part. Some are going to be cut and dried (Suarez in the World Cup against Ghana for example), but if the ball hits a defenders hand at speed (which never seems to be taken into account on VAR) is it still handball? If so, Barca get a penalty against us at the Nou Camp when it pinballs around a few feet and pops up against Matips hand.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    4,390
    My personal experience of VAR hasn't been positive so far (takes too long, lack of communication to supporters within the stadium, celebrating then pausing for 3 minutes before celebrating again).

    As a traditionalist I've been opposed to VAR from the start. (The game is already a circus courtesy of the media companies dictating when we play with complete disregard for home and travelling fans, and corporate sponsorship everywhere you look). The debate in the pub after a match about refereeing decisions is part of what makes the game great. However I've been around long enough to realise that you can't stand in the way of 'progress'. I'm sure that most of the problems will get ironed out and, in time, we'll struggle to remember life without it, and the debate will still be there because they'll still be questionable decisions.

    It'll be interesting in 12 months time to see some stats to show who the VAR winners and losers were.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    8,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Clungeman View Post
    I don't think it can be that simple though, there is always going to be some element of interpretation on the referees part. Some are going to be cut and dried (Suarez in the World Cup against Ghana for example), but if the ball hits a defenders hand at speed (which never seems to be taken into account on VAR) is it still handball? If so, Barca get a penalty against us at the Nou Camp when it pinballs around a few feet and pops up against Matips hand.
    I remember Suarez against United, he played it on to the defenders arm. Very clever trick as it worked, we got the penalty. No way in that instance was it deliberate as he couldn't have known what Suarez would do.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    8,394
    Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    My personal experience of VAR hasn't been positive so far (takes too long, lack of communication to supporters within the stadium, celebrating then pausing for 3 minutes before celebrating again).

    As a traditionalist I've been opposed to VAR from the start. (The game is already a circus courtesy of the media companies dictating when we play with complete disregard for home and travelling fans, and corporate sponsorship everywhere you look). The debate in the pub after a match about refereeing decisions is part of what makes the game great. However I've been around long enough to realise that you can't stand in the way of 'progress'. I'm sure that most of the problems will get ironed out and, in time, we'll struggle to remember life without it, and the debate will still be there because they'll still be questionable decisions.

    It'll be interesting in 12 months time to see some stats to show who the VAR winners and losers were.
    If VAR is progress, why are so many people either against it, or unsure of it?
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    4,390
    Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    If VAR is progress, why are so many people either against it, or unsure of it?
    Exactly. That’s why I put the word progress in quotes. I’m not sure it is.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    651
    Im looking forward to seeing it introduced, i get the interpretation concern but myself i cannot stand the injustice of losing a game by coning cheating the officials...Ramos's flying elbow on Karius still brings me out in a cold sweat...Hopefully over time it'll be speeded up and less intrusive...We'll see..
    You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?"

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,550
    Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    My personal experience of VAR hasn't been positive so far (takes too long, lack of communication to supporters within the stadium, celebrating then pausing for 3 minutes before celebrating again).

    As a traditionalist I've been opposed to VAR from the start. (The game is already a circus courtesy of the media companies dictating when we play with complete disregard for home and travelling fans, and corporate sponsorship everywhere you look). The debate in the pub after a match about refereeing decisions is part of what makes the game great. However I've been around long enough to realise that you can't stand in the way of 'progress'. I'm sure that most of the problems will get ironed out and, in time, we'll struggle to remember life without it, and the debate will still be there because they'll still be questionable decisions.

    It'll be interesting in 12 months time to see some stats to show who the VAR winners and losers were.
    But the discussion will still happen because the way you see the rules will probably be different to that of the ref.....only difference is now he will have been every opportunity to make the right decision on his opinion...

    And he can never get away with he didn't see it....

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12,566
    what will happen is the people on the side lines will ask the ref to review a decision and in 90%+ of the time he will feel obliged to change his original call. and even in them cases . a lot of the calls will be 50/50.. and a large amount of the time the ref will have got the call correct to begin with.
    Its just gonna open a can of worms. where most fans and pundits will say. Well he got it right no he didn't get it right, so in essence
    Nothing will be any different over all.
    Don't get me wrong am all for technology just not in football. am happy with it in Cricket and Tennis. Even though in cricket technology still has glitches.
    As a fan I want the right outcomes in games. I just don't think Var will make the slightest bit of difference.
    Leader of all..master of none..

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12,566
    And furthermore, I don't know how teams will react emotionally if they lose 3/4 games in a row because of VAR. it could ruin seasons for some teams.
    At least with refs making calls they are usually a spilt second and they honestly trying their best. saying that I think refs are bias. . who knows
    Leader of all..master of none..

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    14,959
    Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    But the discussion will still happen because the way you see the rules will probably be different to that of the ref.....only difference is now he will have been every opportunity to make the right decision on his opinion...

    And he can never get away with he didn't see it....
    It will eventually lead to more consisitent
    and uniform interpretations imo.

    The problems I see are with some of the rulings.

    1) the offside rule where defenders if they 'play' the ball the offside attacker no longer is offside. It gives an advantage to the offside attacker whose benefiting from breaking the rules. Think this should be limited to intentional back passes where an offside attacker can intercept the ball.
    The defender now has to be the linesman in effect and decide whether the player is offside or not, if they knew the attacker was offside they could leave it and rely on the linesman. But this is really unfair imo as we know the linesman needs to be on the side of the pitch to see the correct picture/angle.

    2) not sure if I have it right but the new handball rule seems to be a bit too extreme and probably needs clearing up.

    3) think they should look at it in slow mo for details and then in normal time for context.

    Overall it seems like they are just trying to get more goals into the game. Might work against the interests of the pl as teams might bus it even more now than beforehand.

    Will be interesting/controversial next season.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •