Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Racism in football

Racism in football

Still a lot of work to be done, but the idea of points deductions for teams isn't a good one or workable one in my view and if such a system was put in place, it would have to be done with the utmost care. At many Premier League clubs, there are always a number of seats available to the general public for games, so were a points deduction system implemented in the future any such sanction would have to have a thorough investigation system in place as it would otherwise be open to abuse, as in any Joe Bloggs could get a seat in any ground among the home fans with the prior intent of racially abusing an opposition player in an attempt to bring a points deduction sanction on that club.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Agreed. Hefty fines in the millions though… I could see that working.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Rich clubs wouldn't miss the money,but points on the other hand is a different ball game.
    The only problem is theres some mad cunts amongst us who would have no problem going among the opposing team supporters and try and get points deducted.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Rich clubs wouldn't miss the money,but points on the other hand is a different ball game.
    The only problem is theres some mad cunts amongst us who would have no problem going among the opposing team supporters and try and get points deducted.
    There are a lot of 'mad cunts' like that out there, that's why points deduction would be unworkable
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I think a closed stadium penalty for a home game would be appropriate. Rob the team of their home ground support and match day revenue

I can't believe punishing clubs is even up for debate.

I believe clubs should be punished if they're not being proactive in tackling it. I agree though about planting of a mad cunt to cost other teams is a problem.

Surely though with the amount of money that goes into the sport they should be prioritising equality and inclusivity, especially based on the fact that to achieve success clubs need to buy from every corner of the globe.

Why can't they simply develop an app along with kick ig out that all fans are obliged to have to enter the stadium. As soon as they here racism, they report the seat number (or thereabouts) whereby it can be investigated by the club more easily? Find out which seat was responsible, interview those around that seat, ban whoever's was in that seat.
    I'm sure it wont be as cut and dried as that, but there are relatively easy steps to tackle the problem.
    You are essentially an oxygen thief.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Idk, if the fines are based on revenue they might start missing them pretty quickly. A 100m pound fine for a club like LFC or MUFC is still a lot of money. And it can be contested in courts later, let it drag on for years if it has to. You don't have that sort of temporal freedom with point deductions.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Racism will always exist, at least for the foreseeable future. It's not a "football problem", It's a sociatal, and even a human nature issue. If the authorities want to reduce or even eradicate it from football they need to target the cause/perpetrators i.e. the individuals who indulge in such behaviour. The only way you can do this is by handing out stiffer punishments and even criminalising such behaviour.

Why should the clubs be punished for something they really have little control over? The most they can do is ban those who cause trouble, but in terms of stopping it getting to that point it's not like they can conduct security checks where they look in people's bags for any signs of unsavoury behaviour. If people are determined to cause trouble (as in many other areas of life) they can and they will.

Not sure how I'd feel if we had pipped City to the title because they were docked points because a racist went to the Etihad in their last home game. Wonder how Raheem would feel?

Is it only racism from spectators in the ground or from one player to another?

There aren't many black managers in the Premier League and probably even fewer black chairmen and owners but what a stick to beat them with.