Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism in football

9 point deduction or a couple of million pound in fines !!
    That is hysterically over the top.

The issue for racism in football in the pl seems to be about managers getting jobs and the releasing of managers in what are perceived to be decisions that come quicker than if they were white.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Not sure how I'd feel if we had pipped City to the title because they were docked points because a racist went to the Etihad in their last home game. Wonder how Raheem would feel?

Is it only racism from spectators in the ground or from one player to another?

There aren't many black managers in the Premier League and probably even fewer black chairmen and owners but what a stick to beat them with.
    Sterling doesn't seem to be calling for FFP-related pl points deductions, or where players indulge in brawls on the pitch like city v cfc a while back, or where city players are mocking the injured Sean Cox via chants.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Sterling doesn't seem to be calling for FFP-related pl points deductions, or where players indulge in brawls on the pitch like city v cfc a while back, or where city players are mocking the injured Sean Cox via chants.
    I wouldn't expect him to. I don't really see your point. (Mine was about a black player who has stood up to racism being potentially robbed of a medal by an act of racism, and a naive attempt to address it)

I wouldn't expect him to. I don't really see your point. (Mine was about a black player who has stood up to racism being potentially robbed of a medal by an act of racism, and a naive attempt to address it)
    Sterling should be delighted to lose a medal from a 9 point deduction where one city fan committed an act of verbal racist abuse across an entire pl season. He deems this punishment of everyone else's effort on account of 1 offender as a reasonable means of tackling racism. However if sterling is less than fully rational, or just not very rational then he might not have this consistent opinion.
    Would be the same if one England fans behaviour meant he left the euros/WC in the groupstages.

I agree with you it's not a well thought out plan and also think that it is an absurdly heavy handed punishment.
    Let's assume the 9 point deduction has a 2 million impact on account of final league standings though it could be higher for the top and bottom of the table with relegation, el, top4 and the title, while in some cases it might have no financial effect - manu would still finish sixth on goal difference over wolves.

It seems the purported fine/punishment would be 40 times greater than the fine issued to Roma for the Anfield acts involving Sean Cox. I cite this for context in respect to the financial impact and precedence of fines for fans behaviour. 40 times the fine for beating a man to near death.

I'm not sure many people would deem it 40 times worse to be mocked verbally for being black/white or Islamic/Evangelical than to be beaten in such a manner.

Clubs cannot control fans and this is the purported punishment meted out to clubs for the least controllable aspect of their club of the examples given. It would surely follow clubs should be punished for things they have more control over.
    Ffp compliance is entirely within the control of the clubs administration. Transfer market dealings too.
    Similarly the club works with players every week say and they have far more influence on its players and their culture than it does on the fans.
    So punishments for both FFP breaches and the behaviour of its footballers are far more justifiable in the sense of responsibility of the club.
    How does one suggest punishing clubs for things less within their control that within their control, its not very sensible and beyond me.

Now with respect to man city players and the chants we see the fa saying it's not bringing forth any charges. While city have denied the lyrics have any reference to Cox or the victims of Hillsborough. This type of behaviour is deemed ok and not due for reprimand, it's not racist after all though that could be debatable in modern parlance.

So its deemed perfectly reasonable to taunt rival fans with a tune about its attacked on the street episode of 2018, or always the victims. Or it's reasonable to suggest the interpretation of the offended is wrong.

Would monkey chants being misinterpreted as racist when they are celebrating our shared evolutionary history and heritage be accepted. Doubt it.
    Would the spurs banana charge escape racist charges as he was concerned about the energy levels of player X.
    I somehow doubt it. This is why people get pissed off and move away from social justice when it is segregated from justice.

Is it reasonable to suggest that spurs should not be in the cl next year (final to come so just an example on the league) because a fan threw a banana on the pitch. I dont think so. Points deductions should imo be only used against clubs for their administrative actions, like match fixing and refusing to comply with regulations around transfer dealings and FFP.

Look at the resource/trade deficit the global south has with the global north, the victims of famine, these are severe issues. The plight of people in poverty irrespective of their skin colour. The real time gains to be made are incomparable.
    I've never racially abused anyone in person and I say that in case my online postings are deemed racist.

I gave credit to sterling for saying the walking off the pitch and ending matches is madness. Hes not willing to give into the racist taunts and lose his opportunity to play the game because of someone elses crassness.
    Now though he wants to empower or suggests racist verbal abuse to have a detrimental effect on the finances of clubs with possible knock ons for players to play football matches.

Hes also said he blames the media portrayal of young black footballers for the rise of racism. The racist British media or thereabouts. Hes gotten support off the same media who thrive on the car crash reporting of celebrity culture who targeted him and laps it up. I'd have respect for him if he stated his position on Mansour or told the football writers he was refusing the award on account of them not fixing his claim about the racism epidemic within journalism.
    Yet sterling does seem to be pretty much alone in having incurred the wrath of the racist media and much of that is down to his own behaviour. There are many black players who escape this treatment.

The laughing gas video, the br and lfc-exit media, issues with his former girlfriend...I know very little about his personal relationship and only really cite it as part of the media circus around sterling.
    Answering the why always me with racist media though is a bit thin when one can look at ones own personal conduct.

Fair publicity and race to discuss:
    Sterling, Ronaldo, Terry
    Kante, Messi, Lampard

Plenty of black and brown players do not have a media circus around them due to the content of their character and behaviour. Maybe their advisors played a part too.
    Last edited by CCTV; 24th May 2019 at 08:42 PM.

I didn't know Sterling had expressed an opinion on this idea to punish clubs for a spectator's racism.

My opinion is it is fking insane. I still can't believe it is even up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Sterling doesn't seem to be calling for FFP-related pl points deductions
    Well he wouldn't would he, be interesting for Sterling to explain why according to official (FFP) figures he took a pay cut when he last signed a new contract, where are the rest of his wages coming from? I think there should be points deductions for circumventing FFP and they should be applied historically over each season the offences were occurring, as in real terms it means teams circumventing FFP have been able to bring in players that have contributed to their campaigns they wouldn't have been able to, effectively cheating every team that were complying
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I didn't know Sterling had expressed an opinion on this idea to punish clubs for a spectator's racism.

My opinion is it is fking insane. I still can't believe it is even up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Well he wouldn't would he, be interesting for Sterling to explain why according to official (FFP) figures he took a pay cut when he last signed a new contract, where are the rest of his wages coming from? I think there should be points deductions for circumventing FFP and they should be applied historically over each season the offences were occurring, as in real terms it means teams circumventing FFP have been able to bring in players that have contributed to their campaigns they wouldn't have been able to, effectively cheating every team that were complying
    hypocrisy - there's a surprise.

I can't believe it's still going on in life, let alone football. As for the football side of things, most teams have at least one black player, so they may as well be hurling abuse at their own players. Some people have the iq of a carrot.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Given his actual improvements in terms of playing football and end product, his increased media value as a victim of the racist British media and his status as a human rights campaigner for Mansour's city coupled with his strong negotiation position given his contract was running down its amazing how poor his notorious agent did on contract negotiations... on paper

Sterling's opinion is valid but he should be aware of the cruelty and racism of the Manchester City's owners in their country. Maybe look at the meaning of 'sportswashing'. Nonetheless, racism is a problem and the clubs could do more. It's really not too difficult - recruit more and a better standard of steward and use them in combination with video surveillance. It is a societal problem not just a football problem. But more stewards with better training could easily solve the problem if they were trained adequately. Also, encouraging fans not to stand fo r any nonsense and reporting - confidentially any abuser is possible. It's a cost but it's within the means of almost all clubs (perhaps not some of the lower leagues). Why not try that first rather than going for any nuclear option?