Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Thread: Referees association to up their game ahead of next season?

Referees association to up their game ahead of next season?

I think it needs to be done, there is VAR being introduced, but that's only one element, under Wenger the deliberate tactical foul became prominent in the Premier League, but it took a number of seasons before the referee's association reacted to it and started to hand out mandatory yellow cards to curb it. It is well known and documented that City continually commit deliberate tactical fouls in the oppositions half to stop potential counter attacks, and these fouls are frequently missed as a result of a lack of awareness from match officials because these fouls take place in the opposition half well short of the half way line and so often aren't in the referee's 'picture of the game' and as a result go unpunished with the mandatory yellow card they are deserving of. The referee's association need to implement greater communication between the referee and the linesman in the other half of the pitch who does have a view of whether or not a counter was on and a foul was a deliberate tactical foul to prevent it.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I hate it when the linesman ( old school assistant referee) waits until the attacking player touches or goes towards the ball before raising his flag.
    Offside should mean if an attacking player is standing in a offside position then it Should be offside, end off.
    They've made it harder for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I hate it when the linesman ( old school assistant referee) waits until the attacking player touches or goes towards the ball before raising his flag.
    Offside should mean if an attacking player is standing in a offside position then it Should be offside, end off.
    I agree with that completely, if someone is offside then it should be given as offside. Regardless of whether they end up being involved in the move or not they are affecting play because the defense needs to be aware of them and account for them; so for me the whole 'Not Interfering With Play' bit is absolute horseshit - I think it was Danny Blanchflower that once pointed out "If he's not interfering with play, what's he doing on the pitch?"

Besides which, why does that part only apply to the attackers and not the defenders? If a full back on one side of the pitch is putting his boot back on or something, he's not affecting play, yet he could play someone onside on the other wing; how exactly is that fair?

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I don't think so ian. What if the attacker is on the floor after a previous collision and does not interfere with the play?
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I think it needs to be done, there is VAR being introduced, but that's only one element, under Wenger the deliberate tactical foul became prominent in the Premier League, but it took a number of seasons before the referee's association reacted to it and started to hand out mandatory yellow cards to curb it. It is well known and documented that City continually commit deliberate tactical fouls in the oppositions half to stop potential counter attacks, and these fouls are frequently missed as a result of a lack of awareness from match officials because these fouls take place in the opposition half well short of the half way line and so often aren't in the referee's 'picture of the game' and as a result go unpunished with the mandatory yellow card they are deserving of. The referee's association need to implement greater communication between the referee and the linesman in the other half of the pitch who does have a view of whether or not a counter was on and a foul was a deliberate tactical foul to prevent it.
    There is still going to be chaos, and "selective" refereeing.
    Nothing they introduce is going to change that.
    "If he's not interfering with play, what's he doing on the pitch?" - remember that well.

They should scrutinise the refereeing of Jon Moss. Continually makes wrong decisions that affect the outcome of games. He is overweight and can't keep up with the play, At first I thought he had a prejudice against us, but then I paid more attention to him in other games and he is just full of mistakes. Should be demoted for a season or two.