Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Data Analytics article on Liverpool

Data Analytics article on Liverpool

Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Really can't recommend this article enough, particularly for those who question how/why we do things the way we do.

I know we can't "Moneyball" in the same way that the Oakland A's/Billy Beane/Red Sox/John Henry did in Baseball as they're different sports, but the analytics side of things is definitely fascinating.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

It is quite interesting. Don't know how I missed it when you first posted it. Just goes to highlight that football is starting to wake up to the obvious truth that stats are where it's at.

Illustrates how dependent we are on them too.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

83% of statistics are just made up.

Very interesting article, shows the value and limitations of stats, and shows our success is neither down to Klopp or the owners haha!

I was in USA for the 1994 World Cup, the American newspapers analyzed how many seconds each player was on the ball, number of passes etc, and I remember how the stone age British journalists made fun of them...

At Melwood, the clubís training complex in a residential Liverpool neighborhood, Graham works in a white-walled room, down a corridor from the coaches and the cafeteria. Tim Waskett, who studied astrophysics, sits to Grahamís left. Nearby is Dafydd Steele, a former junior chess champion with a graduate math degree who previously worked in the energy industry. The background of the most recent analyst to be hired, Will Spearman, is even less conventional. Spearman grew up in Texas, a professorís son. He completed a doctorate in high-energy physics at Harvard. Then he worked at CERN, in Geneva, where scientists verified the existence of the subatomic Higgs boson. His dissertation provided the first direct measurement of the particleís width, and one of the first of its mass. Another club might conceivably hire an analyst like Graham, or Steele, or Waskett, and maybe even Spearman. But itís almost impossible to imagine any but Liverpool hiring all of them.
    Oh, sorry guys - apparently I'm completely wrong when I say it's maths phds who are doing God's work and finding us players to buy. It's physics phds.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Oh, sorry guys - apparently I'm completely wrong when I say it's maths phds who are doing God's work and finding us players to buy. It's physics phds.
    Some of them majoring in being Welsh

Really good read for the most part, but I'm going to write it all of as Yank Shite because it refers to Virgil Van Dijk as a fullback! :-P

I was in Florence about 10 days ago and took my kids to the Leonardo Da Vinci Museum. Yes I know he was a paranoid nutter at times - wrote all his conceptual ideas backwards (mirror writing), he believed in all manner of conspiracies too BUT the point is this... Vision is worth all the data in the world. Data analysis can reveal almost everything that has happened and guide you in a direction that will likely help -it's the new wonder drug of the financial elite - vision meanwhile...means you already know.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I was in Florence about 10 days ago and took my kids to the Leonardo Da Vinci Museum. Yes I know he was a paranoid nutter at times - wrote all his conceptual ideas backwards (mirror writing), he believed in all manner of conspiracies too BUT the point is this... Vision is worth all the data in the world. Data analysis can reveal almost everything that has happened and guide you in a direction that will likely help -it's the new wonder drug of the financial elite - vision meanwhile...means you already know.
    What the heck are you talking about?

"vision meanwhile...means you already know." - know what? Could you be any more vague?

The way I see it, it usually means you've just managed to analyse the data your senses are feeding to your brain in you head. Not really all that different to doing it with a computer - just a bit less precise and a bit less powerful. As technology and our use of it improves, computers get better at analysing data. In numerous places they've already become better than humans at it, in some they're still working towards that, but make no mistake, if it can be quantified and analysed, computers will eventually become better at it than us.

Liverpool football club seems to be at the forefront of the computer/statistical revolution in the most popular sport in the world, which is exactly where it belongs.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non