Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Man City - Top 4 Battle Team Discussion

Man City - Top 4 Battle Team Discussion

In a stronger position than their rivals man United presently for a top4 finish.

Causes for concern -

Kompany has left and hes their best CB. Stones and Laporte prone to errors in a lovrenesque way so this is an area of weakness for them now imo. Kompany missed a lot of games in this last season. All of their loses occurred when he didnt play, Lyon in the group stages and Spurs in their annual champions league quarter final exit. He didnt play in their 4 pl loses either to Chelsea palace Leicester and the toon.
    They've really wasted a lot of money on centrebacks in recent years and now that theres some focus on their allegedly dodgy financing they might rue those years of poor spending.

Other ageing key players.
    Fernandinho - a pivotal player in their tactical fouling strategy and one of those blessed dms that rarely gets the bookings they deserve.
    Like Kompany hes an ageing player and has had injury issues this last season.
    Played in the loses to Lyon and spurs in the cl and also in the loses to Chelsea and the toon in the pl.
    Looks like their hoping to sign rodrigo from athleti for about 80 million as a replacement.

David Silva - a cracking player really and it's a pity he never got a chance at a big club. For the player he is ageing is likely less detrimental than with the previous 2 above. With kdb out he was an important player for them and missed few games.

Other players: KDB back fit and healthy would boost any sides quality so city should be stronger with him in the team. This would alleviate the pressure on D.Silva too.

Disaffected young players - Sane and Jesus - both not happy with the last season and their participation. Jesus can have no complaints imo as the ageing aguero is a more valuable player presently. He'll just have to bide his time if hes patient enough.
    Sane on the other hand is their best wideforward and while he has attitude problems allegedly I think he could move on this summer should a non-pl team stump up the cash. Bayern have been mooted as suitors might make more sense for Barca to try and get him for the reported 90 mill fee. Sane leaving would be a big blow but seemingly pep has decided hed rather have Silva and sterling in the team. Sterling is probably as good/valuable overall and I can see why pep likes him, but in raw attacking talent think Sane is the better of the 2.

Pep, think hes starting to crack a little tbh. With a possible exit if they win the cl, maybe this could be his last season either way. He seems to have gotten very miffed about journalists asking him fair questions given the football leaks and alleged shenanigans going on there.
    Undoubtedly a great coach but my senses tell me hes not the best at signing defensive line players. So he might balls up the dm and Cb signings. The offset to this is he might have coached an academy player to come through at city - dont laugh it could happen.

Last season teams seemed defeated before their games ,think this coming season teams might have more belief in taking points off them. They still have good options at the top end of the pitch and that is a big benefit over their rivals at United.

Prospects:
    A solid second in the pl, likely retaining their fa cup and maybe a cl semi-final.

Any thoughts ?

Same as last season, us and them fighting for the title. The rest just aren't good enough.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

City's incredible run of back to back wins to clinch last season's title wouldn't have been possible or happened without Konpany's leadership, defensive skills at the back and although never highly rated for it, his intelligent forward passes, he's gone now and Pep doesn't have a good record at all when it comes to signings CB's and I expect they will concede more goals on the counter as a result, meaning they could well drop more points in a few of the games they just managed to win last season.

Another crucial part in their not conceding as many goals as they really should have on the counter was Ederson making several one v one saves. What seems very apparent, despite the plaudits he received for this, is that Emerson has quite a gaping hole in his one v one technique, as he rushes towards the player he's always very square with his feet splayed wide apart. As everything is analysed in football in the modern game I expect this to be pointed out to all opposition strikers and him to be 'megged' quite a number of times rushing out, knocking his confidence and ability in one v one situations. The other is that he starts his rush out very early when the opposition player's head is momentarily down and often isn't in a great position in the goal, poking it through his legs or taking an early strike to either corner as soon as they have space to would see most of these positions result in goals.

At present nothing else has really changed, except that their ageing players are a year older and they'd hope to keep De Bruyne fit for more of the season. Teams got A LOT better at defending and countering against them in the last third of last season and making them have to really work for their points to make me believe they will find ammassing as many points this season incredibly difficult. To be as effective as last season, they really need to much better attacking full backs than they have at the club or are available on the market, as like us, their full backs are frequently their 4th and 5th attackers, but theirs aren't anywhere near the quality of ours.

Sterling was incredibly successful last season, but I expect him to be less successful this season, he benefitted from the absence of VAR on numerous occassions last season as he isn't as good as our forwards and making the continual runs in behind and timing it right. He also benefitted from 3 or 4 penalties that were later shown to be clear dives, which he won't get away with this season either, so I think he's going to find this season a lot tougher also. Aguerro was often offside having timed his runs wrong a few times and benefitted from the absence of VAR.

Sane was often a breakthrough player for City, either helping them get a goal after his introduction to take the lead, or helping them get a second goal to clinch a game. He alters the dynamic they play with when he is introduced, and rather than continue the 'tappy tappy' runs to connect with balls through the channel approach, he is asked to be direct and drive towards the box and have shots and go wide and try and stretch already tired defences further and get low balls into the box or cut them back for one of their midfield playmakers to make the pass or have a shot. He could prove crucial in this role to them this season, most teams will be aware of the change of approach his introduction brings by now and will likely have better plans in place to defend against it, so his introduction may prove less successful than it was last season.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

No top 4 battle

It's whether they will achieve 100 points

How they will manage January games

Then the Champions League last 16 and quarter finals

Laporte is high quality worldclass, the other 3 in the back 4 not such level

City don't need the full backs so high up

The front 5 dictate the play. Possession of the ball, slick movement, that ball in between the opposition full backs and centre back , to the side of of the 6 yard box.

Intricate football, to finish with a goal 2nd post , just inside the 6 yard box.

True there are key players ageing.

Goals all over the team. The only player perhaps who had a bad season was Mahrez, who realised that now he needs to be consistent in a top team.

I see them to be clear winners of the league. Whoever else wins it will need some luck. Fine decisions, or 2cm.

Looks like they're about to sign Rodri from Atletico for €70m.......any good?
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    No top 4 battle

The front 5 dictate the play. Possession of the ball, slick movement, that ball in between the opposition full backs and centre back , to the side of of the 6 yard box.

Intricate football, to finish with a goal 2nd post , just inside the 6 yard box.

Goals all over the team. The only player perhaps who had a bad season was Mahrez, who realised that now he needs to be consistent in a top team.

I see them to be clear winners of the league. Whoever else wins it will need some luck. Fine decisions, or 2cm.
    Most City games I saw last season had both full backs regularly further advanced than their midfielders the vast majority of the time, you mgith not 'think' they need their full backs that advanced Dicko, but that's how they played most of the time, they do need them that high because teams got a lot better at blocking the lines for them to make the ball through the channels. They use their full backs to try and rework the position their midfielders have the ball in to try and make the ball through the channels and keep moving the opposition defensive line probing for an opening.

A normal passage of play is the pass won't be on, they'll go wide to either full back, when it goes wide the inside forward that side will make a short run and both midfielders, then it will go back or across to one of the midfielders, or to the inside forward who'll try and get half a yard for a shot or cross or cut it back to either midfielder or go back to the full back.

When teams park the bus v City that's the normal way they play, 2 midfielder playmakers sitting deeper than the full backs, doing what they want under no pressure, continually repeating the cycle of play I described above looking for the ball through any of the channels

The variation in what they do and how they try to open the channel is they'll have both full backs further forward than their midfielders, one will be wide, one will be in an inside left or right position with the corresponding inside forward wide or as an inside forward, what they look to do is play the ball to the full back in the inside forward position, he will play it back to the midfielder (under no pressure as usual) then immediately go wide trying to take a defender across with him, opening the channel for the midfielder to then play the ball through the channel for the forward coming in from the wide position, who'll then play it square across the six yard box or just outside it for the other inside forward or Aguerro

Keeper

Sterling Full back CB Aguerro CB Bernado Full back

Midfielder Mendy Midfielder Midfielder Midfielder Walker

Gundogan________De Bruyne

Keeper

Full back Sterling CB Aguerro CB Full back Bernado

Mendy Midfielder Midfielder Midfielder Walker Midfielder

Gundogan________De Bruyne

Pretty standard City shifting from side to side, midfielders trying to block the lines affording Gundogan and De Bruyne too much time and space. Forwards camping out in the box, making little runs to make these 2 patterns each time the ball is moved between full back wide or inside forward and midfield playmakers, continually trying to open the channels, doesn't need much, they only have to move either full back a couple of feet sideways or forward, a goal they often score is from a ball through the channel for the forward occupying the inside forward position to get half a yard and score or play it square across the line with the player occupying the wide forward position making a darting run to inside the far post and Aguerro looking to connect in the centre, with either one of them finishing the centre

Teams have got A LOT better at defending this in the last 12 games of last season, getting to Gundogan or De Bruyne quicker to actually put some pressure on them or quickly moving to a position to block the line for a pass through the channel and that's my point about their full backs, as teams have got a lot better at defending City's side to side movement trying to open up the channels, they're going to need more quality, a lot more quality from their full backs to actually be able to put quality deliveries or shots in
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 18th June 2019 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    No top 4 battle

Luck, they had more luck than us. If var was in place theyd have lost the league more than likely.

Laporte is probably their best defender now with Kompany gone, but world class is a bit of a stretch. 2 howlers in the cl exit to spurs and hes not made a his senior debut for France yet, admittedly they've good options at centreback. Think you're stretching the world class status a bit.

Fernandinho if hes injured hes kicking on, and Kompany gone that's a key weak area they have now. Depth in attack is there but we could match up nicely in all departments come the end of the summer including depth and have a clear advantage in the back 4.

Don't worry they'll throw about £150m to replace Kompany and getting cover for Fernandinho.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."