Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop advice needed/More crud to deal with

Laptop advice needed/More crud to deal with

Whilst in the middle of trying to help someone else, my already nearly dead laptop decided to give up the ghost. This is on the back of all my usual woes (health is getting worse) and my phone also dying a couple of weeks ago.

I was looking at getting a decent laptop but I don't have the money at the moment, so I'm looking to get something dirt cheap that will allow me to surf the net, do some word processing, stream stuff such as the footy and transfer my laptop files onto an external hard drive.

Does anyone have any reccomendation for a dirt cheap laptop that will tide me over until I can get/afford something decent?

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Whilst in the middle of trying to help someone else, my already nearly dead laptop decided to give up the ghost. This is on the back of all my usual woes (health is getting worse) and my phone also dying a couple of weeks ago.

I was looking at getting a decent laptop but I don't have the money at the moment, so I'm looking to get something dirt cheap that will allow me to surf the net, do some word processing, stream stuff such as the footy and transfer my laptop files onto an external hard drive.

Does anyone have any reccomendation for a dirt cheap laptop that will tide me over until I can get/afford something decent?

what do you call dirt cheap?

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk

sells laptops from £150 - £170 (refurbished)

used to know of places that were around that price, or less, but not these days.
    Ebay might be worth a look.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

https://www.encore-pc.co.uk/lenovo-thinkpad-x230-i5-3320m-2-60ghz?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItPiG2sz74gIVC_lRCh0gLAqeEA YYByABEgJm3fD_BwE

12.5" Lenovo ThinkPad X230 250GB HDD 4GB RAM £100, 90 day Return to Base Warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    what do you call dirt cheap?

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk

sells laptops from £150 - £170 (refurbished)

used to know of places that were around that price, or less, but not these days.
    Ebay might be worth a look.
    I'm looking at around the £100 - £200 mark, though obviously the cheaper the better. My laptop is completely fk'd. First the p.poor HP hinges went, then the screen went as a result of those hinges (I've currently got it plugged into an external tv/monitor), and then it just completely fell apart bit by bit. I completely took it apart and I somehow managed to temporarily get it working again, including reconnecting the network/wireless card. If you saw a picture of it you'd laugh as it looks like something a child has tried to cobble together and then smashed in anger because it's a pile of crud.

I've never used Ebay as I don't entirely trust it. The way my 'luck' is I'm bound to have some kind of trouble if I bought something from there. Like I said, I do eventually want something decent, namely a good all rounder with a good processor, dual channel ram (I want to try my hand at music production) and a 4 lane thunderbolt 3 port in case I decide to use it for a bit of gaming, however the company I was looking at (Huawei) are having grief with the US and Google in particular, so it's not a good time to buy one of their products. I'm not sure what to eventually get as nothing fits the bill and I don't want to spend big bucks on something I'm not almost entirely satisfied with.

On top of that I also need a load of other new bits of tech. My phone decided to boot-loop for the second time (both times when at or in hospital) so I need a cheap as chips phone that's not laggy as hell and will let me surf the net decently, listen to some tunes and send/receive calls/messages. My Fired HD 8 tablet has also started playing up by turning on every few minutes whilst in sleep mode and I don't really want to pay around £300 for a Samsung tablet that doesn't even have a 'mid range' CPU/GPU. My tv also needs replacing (thin black lines across it from top to bottom. Slow as hell etc), as well as my earphones which went kaput a couple of days back. So as you can see, my 'luck' extends to other areas of my life other than my health.

Thanks for the help/recommendations.

This is the second time I've typed this as when I tried to post it the first time LFC online's computer/server wasn't having it and when I tried to go back my message was gone.

Hiya mate,my Windows 7(tried Win.10 can't stand it) laptop cost me the princely sum of £37(inc.p&p) on Ebay 3 years ago. Bought it simply to surf the net and play Championship Manager 01-02(March '19 players and data) when playing away from home at the GF's house....It's a HP compaq 6710b..I've upgraded the CPU to 2.4Ghz,maxed out the RAM to 4GB(it's 12 yr old spec.) and crucially of all cloned the hard drive to a Solid state drive....I reguarly take the piss out of the Missus's Windows 10 i5 lappy coz it boots up faster than hers!!....The Solid State drive makes all the difference....You can definitely get a decent one for under a £100 easily.....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=HP+compaq+6710b&client=opera&hs=GtX&sourc e=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTlO_qxoDjAhXVPsAK HVkCCCQQ_AUIESgC&biw=1240&bih=658#imgrc=NRSUjZNZxJ b3VM:
    Last edited by Martyboy; 23rd June 2019 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks for the info Marty. I'm still looking around, namely for a new laptop. I just can't find something that fits all of my needs for the money I'm willing to pay. In the interim I've bought an external HDD so I can back up my data in case my laptop finally bites the dust. I've just got to find the energy to get off my backside and do it. You really think I'd have learnt not to put it off after my phone died a few weeks back and I'm going to struggle to retreive my data, if it's even possible of course.

I bet your missus loves you going round to her gaff only for you to play a bit of CM. I can imagine her sitting there thinking "I wish he'd get as excited to see me as he does to see Gerrard score a last minute winner against the Mancs or Hyypia put in a MOTM performance against Real Madrid in the CL final! + "

You get what you pay for in this life
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

My internet connection went down for 30 minutes this morning (see the COPA thread) and now my laptop won't connect to the net, though my tablet still does. I really am having f-all luck (good luck) with tech at the moment, not that I have any luck when it comes to anything else. +

Thanks for the info Marty. I'm still looking around, namely for a new laptop. I just can't find something that fits all of my needs for the money I'm willing to pay. In the interim I've bought an external HDD so I can back up my data in case my laptop finally bites the dust. I've just got to find the energy to get off my backside and do it. You really think I'd have learnt not to put it off after my phone died a few weeks back and I'm going to struggle to retreive my data, if it's even possible of course.

I bet your missus loves you going round to her gaff only for you to play a bit of CM. I can imagine her sitting there thinking "I wish he'd get as excited to see me as he does to see Gerrard score a last minute winner against the Mancs or Hyypia put in a MOTM performance against Real Madrid in the CL final! + "
    Me on CM is simply me trying to ignore the bollocks she likes to watch on her TV....e.g....Deadenders,Craponation Street and Britain's got Talent and the like with that prick Cowell!!.......

Quote Originally Posted by Martyboy View Post
    Me on CM is simply me trying to ignore the bollocks she likes to watch on her TV....e.g....Deadenders,Craponation Street and Britain's got Talent and the like with that prick Cowell!!.......
    If you play the long game, as I have, she'll forget about that crap.