Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
Personally I believe the health of society and the gap between rich and poor are two major factors affecting crime.
In today's society I don't think there are the opportunities available for self-enrichment.
The UK has had the majority of its heavy industry wiped out - mining, steel production, shipbuilding. These industries employed thousands, maybe even millions of the population. What are the biggest industries remaining in the UK, capable of employing such a large number of the population?
The government/establishment has appeared to substantially reduce the police force and their capability to prevent and deal with crime.
Another factor to be considered is the number of people living into old age - these people have their government pensions and/or take up hospital beds. This causes a drain on the economy and is probably the reason why tax rates are so high and people are expected to continue working to a higher age. Not forgetting the massed ranks of civil servants (including politicians?) with their huge index-linked pensions.
Globalisation and economic policy have played a part. Even with older people and their displaced children its an issue in elderly people going into homes.
I also think the post ww2 reaction that developed later was and is a little misguided. Say the actual nazi's were about today and you rallied against them, youd probably have a good section of the society call you a xenophobe or some shit.

In terms of laws i think the removal of the death penalty was a mistake and I'd also contend that abortion under choice say is another mistake.
Chappelle hits on a culture that develops where choice to abort is prevalent. I think this culture plays a part in the increased number of abortions and in the increased number of single parent families where we know the statistical disadvantage such children have to deal with. The pressure to abort and the expectation leads to changes in behaviours and so we see men not willing to be tied down by her selfishness and reverence for a clump of cells, when she could easily do it if she liked. Yet many victims of r@?€ refuse the choice as they see it as another trauma theyd have to suffer from the crime.
Think the rise in materialism is also tied into the abortion issue whereby potential children are weighed up against a cost/benefit analysis and as such we see the birth rate collapse. In my limited experience most women aborted due to Male threat, pressure or declared absent father status. Other factors play their part too.