Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Kylian Mbappé

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Don't need him. We have Keita.
    And Brewster. Don’t forget Brewster.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

The combo of Salah/Firmino/Mane can get even better with further coaching and the gelling of players behind them. They are basically undroppable. So unless we are selling one of them, you have to wonder where Mbappe, immensely gifted as he is, fits in.

Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Alisson and Van Dijk purchases cost us £185m or so pretty recently. Our best players have signed improved (expensive too) contracts.

I love the idea of having the next Messi/Ronaldo level talent at Anfield - but funding it without breaking our wage structure and our very sensible recruitment policy under Klopp looks very difficult and very high risk (can you imagine if he tore an ACL in his first 6 months of a very long and high-paying contract?) when we could intelligently recruit young, cheap, under-the-radar potential all over the place, choose our loan-locations shrewdly and either rake in the money of developed players or use them ourselves if they're good enough.

Realistically in the current market if Leicester are looking £90m for Harry bloody Maguire then Mbappe is a £250m player who'll want £400,000 a week. That sort of outlay simply isn't viable for us and we won't want to alter the market too much as we'd shoot ourselves in the foot long-term, as the Oil clubs, Juventus, United and Bayern will have the ability to out-spend us for the foreseeable.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

My concern is whether we can keep Salah/Firmino/Mane fit for a season, complete with an overseas tournament in December. Bearing in mind that all 3 of them are still playing football now, they’re not going to get a proper preseason. Origi will hopefully stay, but with all due respect to Brewster, we haven’t replaced Sturridge or Ings. I’m not suggesting we spend £200m on Mbappe (as nice as that would be), but there must be an attacking player out there that would strengthen our squad.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    The combo of Salah/Firmino/Mane can get even better with further coaching and the gelling of players behind them. They are basically undroppable. So unless we are selling one of them, you have to wonder where Mbappe, immensely gifted as he is, fits in.
    All 3 are 27 now, theres a possibility we'll lose/sell one in the coming years. Mbappe is the longer term future. Our front 3 play all the time, but even they need rest and miss games. Having 4 front 3 standard top players will not be a problem, they'll all have enough minutes to play.
    The competition in midfield really did wonders for Hendo & Gini imo. Same can happen up front and also allow the unit to be ever more aggressive a notable feature of the previous season to this last one.

Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Alisson and Van Dijk purchases cost us £185m or so pretty recently. Our best players have signed improved (expensive too) contracts.
    Our wage bill as a percentage of revenue was really low relatively and close to 50% at the end of the season. With wages off the books already we could add Mbappe and still be very low relatively on the wages to revenue ratio.
    Similarly our net spend under Klopp is a modern day pittance and theres plenty of wiggle room with FFP. You're looking at gross spend like all of Klopps detractors at jealous rival clubs.

I love the idea of having the next Messi/Ronaldo level talent at Anfield - but funding it without breaking our wage structure and our very sensible recruitment policy under Klopp looks very difficult and very high risk (can you imagine if he tore an ACL in his first 6 months of a very long and high-paying contract?) when we could intelligently recruit young, cheap, under-the-radar potential all over the place, choose our loan-locations shrewdly and either rake in the money of developed players or use them ourselves if they're good enough.
    Firstly any player can have a shitty injury. Mbappe like our front 3 has a good profile. If we started going down this route we wouldn't sign anyone good in case they got injured. Ox was a far bigger risk in terms of an injury profile. The same horrible injury you propose for Mbappe at lfc could (touch wood it won't) happen with one of our current attackers. Hence the calls to add another top attacker.

Realistically in the current market if Leicester are looking £90m for Harry bloody Maguire then Mbappe is a £250m player who'll want £400,000 a week. That sort of outlay simply isn't viable for us and we won't want to alter the market too much as we'd shoot ourselves in the foot long-term, as the Oil clubs, Juventus, United and Bayern will have the ability to out-spend us for the foreseeable.
    Think you seriously have this whole area wrong. Without N4C we lack expertise here.

We are looking at a new kit deal. Presently we earn a little over half of Uniteds deal, 60%. We will likely sign a new kit deal and be the most lucrative kit deal in the league, practically doubling a significant income stream.
    There's recent permissions granted for 6 concerts a year at Anfield another new income source.
    As per other commercial income from partners/sponsors they are for the most part linked to on field performance.
    Manu are at serious risk with respect to income having had such poor returns in recent years. Arsenal a good example also of this effect.
    We on the other end of the spectrum are increasingly getting more returns as we continually make top4 and later stages of the cl.
    As of 17/18 figures we were 7th richest club in the world. 18/19 figures to come out for revenue but I suspect we'll climb up that table again.
    While for 19/20 we can expected even more, then the new kit deal will kick in so more again.

Mbappe is aware that few clubs can match his present wage. The 2 clubs hes potentially looking at are us and Madrid. He'll likely accept some wage drop as hes more focused on winning things. Presently we are the best destination for him if he wants to win things.

He is a commercial cash cow though. Players realise that players who bring in huge money get paid accordingly. If hes the top earner it wont cause much chaos imo.
    We have top attackers who'll likely be getting wage increases anyway, signing contract extensions as we might see with VVD soon enough.

Our lads have tasted success and they want more. Mbappe signing for Liverpool would cause about as much disruption as Alisson and VVD have done.
    You can argue those 2 were first team additions, rightly, then look at Fabinho Keita..

There is no way we will sign him, he'll stay at PSG as nobody can afford him at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    There is no way we will sign him, he'll stay at PSG as nobody can afford him at the moment.
    Yep - definitely a whiff of Rapunzel about the ‘Mbappe Predicament’.

Good name for a political thriller that..

Expecting one of the worlds most sought after players who's not even reached his prime to take a wage cut is just silly.

Fwiw I think we will try to sign him.............next season when either Salah or Mané go.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    Expecting one of the worlds most sought after players who's not even reached his prime to take a wage cut is just silly.

Fwiw I think we will try to sign him.............next season when either Salah or Mané go.
    Not sure we will you kno. And anyway - we'd fail miserably.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

I think we'd try, I don't think we'd pull it off though as all the top clubs would want him and someone like City or Madrid would just slap £500k a week on the table and that would be that.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

IF you are going to suggest we spent £185 on Becker, Van Dijk and Chamberlain - it was closer to £178 to be precise - then you have to take £142 million out of that outlay from the sale of Coutinho.

Mbappe is going to cost a mind blowing amount but IF we are really determined the money should be there.

We haven’t spent much on the stadium - Even including the new Training facility it’s almost all in for Coutinho’s fee - we have sponsored just about everything shy of Henderson’s underpants and revenues are supposedly at record levels... We have run to the final of 2 consecutive Champions Leagues..As Tracey Chapman once said.. “If not now... then when...?”

I am not actually suggesting that we bust our balls over this but rather saying that right now - As Nineteenx has quite rightly pointed out over and over again - NOW is the time to ramp it up - not stand still and lose the advantage we have.

Klopp has taken us to near impossible heights with a squad IMO no other manager could get close with. Do we pat ourselves on the back and sing about number 6 for the next 15 years OR do we want to go after the bread and butter? Either we do OR we accept that we can’t compete with City etc.
    Last edited by Steveo; 3rd July 2019 at 12:52 PM.