Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frankie L to Chelsea......

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Fuck him, let's give his Chelsea an ass kicking in both league meetings and in the Super Cup
    This!
    It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Right?!?!?!

Always find it cringeworthy when people want Stevie as the manager, but burst into fits of laughter at the thought of things like Giggs/Scholes/Solsjkaer managing United or Lampard/Terry managing Chelsea or Henry managing Arsenal.

I guess people see what Zidane did and think it's replicable?

I actually think (for Lampard) it's a relatively measured gamble - the Chelsea fans adore him, they know he'll be limited as to what he can do in the transfer market and he's coming to the club at a time when United and Arsenal are in transition, which gives them as reasonable a chance of finishing Top Four (enough not to be sacked immediately you'd think, for now, given who he is) as those 2 clubs.

With Zidane it was different.
    He was stepping into a winning situation and winning team that already had not just a winning identity and signature style, but one that was also just hitting their peak and also had one of the world's two best players playing for them, and he rode that crest for what it was worth right before leaving at just the right moment as the bubble was bursting and the winning generation were aging out.

I'm even willing to bet he's not going to be able to replicate that level of success even next season with all the new signings they'll bring in.

It was a bit similar to when Pep went back to manage Barca after having played for them.
    Same situation : winning team with all the pieces in place.
    Signature style and way of playing that was ingrained in both the players and coaching staff.
    World's best (or 2nd best player) at his peak powers along with some veterans still in their primes (Iniesta, Puyol, Xavi...).
    Everything was in place for him to just carry it on without messing about.

With both Spuds and the Mancs it's different.
    Former players joining teams that have significant problems and issues all around the pitch - teams that also look completely different from the ones they played in both in terms of personnel and the playing style and identity - and essentially two clubs in desperate search of an identity of who they are post- venerated and great winning managers (Maureen and SAF).

Granted Chelsea are better set up than the Mancs in terms of what Lampard will have to deal with and the pieces he has in place despite the transfer ban.
    But they've just lost their best player, and the same problems that Sarri had (a defense marshalled by Luiz for crying out loud, and a lack of width further exacerbated by the long term achilles injuries of both Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek),....all of which leads up to lots of questions they'll have and be facing that a Pulisic bandaid won't be able to hide or cover.

But you're also right in that he'll get more grace and patience from their fans because of his stature there and maybe that's a large reason for which he was hired as there's no one else to blame as there usually is - especially when you can't blame the owner for not spending when he literally,.....can't.

It'll be an interesting sight to watch.
    I'm just happy it's not our club.

I'm actually glad that Sarri is gone because despite all the theatrics and behind the scenes (and in front of the scenes) issues, he was and is a really good manager who with an extra year could have molded a title-challenging team which would have made it more difficult for us.
    To be precise it's only a portion of me downloaded via satellite.
    This Gynoid's E-brain lacks.........capacity.

Always respected Lampard as a player - his achievements speak for themselves and he's the sort of player who, because he seems like a decent lad, you wouldn't mind playing for us, unlike his mate Terry.

I'd like to see him be a success at Chelsea but with a caveat: I want his teams to be just good enough to take points off Citeh but not quite good enough to take any off us.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool's Knee View Post
    Always respected Lampard as a player - his achievements speak for themselves and he's the sort of player who, because he seems like a decent lad, you wouldn't mind playing for us, unlike his mate Terry.

I'd like to see him be a success at Chelsea but with a caveat: I want his teams to be just good enough to take points off Citeh but not quite good enough to take any off us.
    To be honest, I look at footballers achievements from that era in balance with how the league was at the time, that there was no FFP and that Chelsea had a far superior squad to any other team except United at the time, with Chelsea's being marginally better and how they got that squad together.

In comparison to the current league, it would be like City having their money without any financial restrictions at all and none of the other sides having anywhere like as much apart from United with the infrastructure in place to continually generate a lot of money and the other sides being without the significantly greater TV revenues they now receive.

Lampard was successful in a team that had such a financial advantage they should have won every trophy going, pretty much every year, had they had a better manager who developed a better playing style and not a Mourinho who assembled a team based on having the attributes to regularly roll over/bully the lesser sides who were at a far greater disadvantage than they are now both in terms of revenue and managers. Should have been a one team league, if anything given their situation, Chelsea drastically underachieved
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    To be honest, I look at footballers achievements from that era in balance with how the league was at the time, that there was no FFP and that Chelsea had a far superior squad to any other team except United at the time, with Chelsea's being marginally better and how they got that squad together.

In comparison to the current league, it would be like City having their money without any financial restrictions at all and none of the other sides having anywhere like as much apart from United with the infrastructure in place to continually generate a lot of money and the other sides being without the significantly greater TV revenues they now receive.

Lampard was successful in a team that had such a financial advantage they should have won every trophy going, pretty much every year, had they had a better manager who developed a better playing style and not a Mourinho who assembled a team based on having the attributes to regularly roll over/bully the lesser sides who were at a far greater disadvantage than they are now both in terms of revenue and managers. Should have been a one team league, if anything given their situation, Chelsea drastically underachieved
    I wished we could have underachieved by the same amount.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)