Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Anfield Expansion: Peter Moore

I rarely venture to the Anfield Road End, but did on Sunday for the blues in the family. It's not going to be easy to reroute Anfield Road around the proposed new stand. There's not much room at the 'corners'. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, but cutting the road in two was never an option.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    I rarely venture to the Anfield Road End, but did on Sunday for the blues in the family. It's not going to be easy to reroute Anfield Road around the proposed new stand. There's not much room at the 'corners'. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, but cutting the road in two was never an option.
    I don't think they're rerouting, sb. Think it's just going to be snapped in the middle and turn into two dead end streets either side of the expanded stand.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Need to continuing expanding Anfield and get it up to at least 70k capacity as soon as possible
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Need to continuing expanding Anfield and get it up to at least 70k capacity as soon as possible
    100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Off the top of my head, I believe our highest ever attendance was around 60 - 61,000 when it was mostly terracing. This was back in the 1950s or 1960s I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I don't think they're rerouting, sb. Think it's just going to be snapped in the middle and turn into two dead end streets either side of the expanded stand.
    After the first consultation, the locals have objected to dead end idea. The club have agreed to reroute it. From the article on the offal:

A small number of local residents raised concerns about the proposed closure of a section of Anfield Road. The revised plans, which will be available to the public in early February, will include a new proposal for Anfield Road to remain open with the road realigned around the footprint of the proposed expanded stand.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

I’m not sure we’d get planning for 70,000, we would have to massively upgrade the whole transport infrastructure. Getting that many people in and out of the area would place real pressure on local roads, it’s bad enough now.

The area is desperate for public transport - this is the real issue. Once again it is the Liverpool city council making it almost impossible for the city to move forward. I have moaned at FSG over a lack of will to expand in the past and I was pointing the finger in the wrong direction - it’s about time the procrastinators at city hall saw fit to bring - fit for purpose - public transport to the Anfield area.. it’s a crying shame that in 2020 there is STILL no passenger train service within miles of Anfield or Goodison.

In my best Victor Meldrew voice - Unbelievable
    Last edited by Steveo; 7th January 2020 at 07:33 PM.

Why stop at 70,000? Here’s some historical attendance records..

HAMPDEN PARK - GLASGOW, SCOTLAND (OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE: 136,505)
    Celtic v Leeds, European Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg, 1970

HAMPDEN PARK - GLASGOW, SCOTLAND (OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE: 149,547)
    Scotland v England, Home International Championship, 1937

HAMPDEN PARK - GLASGOW, SCOTLAND (OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE: 147,365)
    Celtic v Aberdeen, Scottish Cup Final, 1937

MARACANA STADIUM - RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE: 199,854)
    Brazil v Uruguay, World Cup Final, 1950

WEMBLEY STADIUM - LONDON, ENGLAND (OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE: 126,047)
    Bolton Wanderers v West Ham United, FA Cup Final, 1923

There used to be massive numbers attending big games many decades ago. Things have changed. There’s no real reason to favour 70,000 over 65,000 other than the pride of the competitive statistician. We need to have an amazing stadium with as good an atmosphere as possible. It has to work within the cramped setting that makes Anfield so special and it has to allow the turf to grow as it currently does, creating a small slice of heaven that flourishes right through the winter.

I was in Scotland for the old firm clash last week and Celtic have introduced standing sections for the ultras. They work really well. They looked like they can be expanded to
    me too. I’d favour that kind of change if possible but not sure whether it’d ever happen for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    The area is desperate for public transport - this is the real issue. Once again it is the Liverpool city council making it almost impossible for the city to move forward. I have moaned at FSG over a lack of will to expand in the past and I was pointing the finger in the wrong direction - it’s about time the procrastinators at city hall saw fit to bring - fit for purpose - public transport to the Anfield area.. it’s a crying shame that in 2020 there is STILL no passenger train service within miles of Anfield or Goodison.

In my best Victor Meldrew voice - Unbelievable
    I think the club should work with the council and help develop the City's relevant transport system as part of it
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”