Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ashes, England (etc.) versus Australia

WOW fucking Knight him now, that's the best innings ever, surely.

Take a fucking bow son.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

fucking hell I cant believe this!!
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Fantastic final innings. Stokes bringing back memories of Botham. Great stuff.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Who said test cricket was boring !!!

fair play to leach too, lasted longer than our openers..

99 times out of a 100 Australia win that when Leach walks in to bat.

That was ridiculous.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

That was incredible, it was like the second leg v Barcelona at Anfield, the cricket world cup super over all over again, edge of the seat, heart thumping out of your chest action, awe inspiring, a brilliant come back together with some incredible play.

Leach not getting nearly enough credit for his role, not scoring except for the crucial 1, but coming in as last man and showing our top and middle order how to defend and hold down an end and leave the ball really well when it's tough to score, which is what all our one day players need to learn to do early in each innings instead of trying to come out blasting wafting the bat at things as soon as they're in like they have to start scoring instantly, it's test match cricket, not a 50 over game.

Stokes was simply awe inspiring, and on the flip side, in that situation his one day play and shots were absolutely necessary and exactly the time to turn it on and use it. He needed to be though, because his woeful call to Butler is what got him run out and had he not done that, there wouldn't have been so much onus on him.

England still have a lot of problems to solve, it should be pretty straight forward to drill the one day players in the art of leaving and when and when not to play and occupying the crease and letting the bowlers wear themselves down until their accuracy starts to wain. Roy's a problem, what to do with him? I think for a start, given how he's got out most of the time, trying to have him take a starting position slightly further forward, just on the edge/outside of his crease like Warner does for Australia should stop the Aussies bowling the length to him he constantly gets out from and potentially make it easier for him to score.

They need to develop better plans for getting the Aussies right handers out, Smith and Labuschagne in particular and Root needs to be a lot more aggressive with the field at times, especially when they're just in with a couple of wickets down early. Archer has a great bouncer that the batsmen can't see coming because his action doesn't change, but he gets it too high, it is nice to see the Aussies get battered around the head and imagining it's Rupert Murdoch granted, but when Smith and Labuschagne are just in he should get Archer on, get men around the bat and catchers close in either side and get him to bowl that inswinging bouncer that follows them, but around sternum so they can't get out of the way, it's too low to duck and they struggle to get their hands out of the way and it could well nick off the gloves or the shoulder of the bat. Couple of outswingers or balls bowled just outside of the stumps, them BANG inswinging bouncer right in there
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Need to be looking favourites to win throughout to get the crowd behind them at Old Trafford in the next test, we all know what these fair weather glory hunting Mancs are like, get behind the team that's winning, I've heard given their fickle nature there's even talk of the sale of a special reversible shirt ahead of the next test, with England on one side and the Aussies on the other, so the locals can quickly switch their allegiances depending on who's winning, just as so many swapped red for blue

Tremendous win for England. I hope they can move on from this - middle order and tail-enders showing the openers how to handle test cricket.
    Jofra Archer could be our ace IF the batsmen have learned how to play test cricket.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Thank you Sky for changing the 10pm highlights programme to an hour of Willis and Stewart talking bollocks.
    Arseholes.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Tremendous win for England. I hope they can move on from this - middle order and tail-enders showing the openers how to handle test cricket.
    Jofra Archer could be our ace IF the batsmen have learned how to play test cricket.
    I hope so too, there's been a huge lack of test match savvy from England's players, I think due to all the emphasis England have put into the one day game. A lot of them really don't know what to leave, when to leave or especially how to defend really well for sustained periods, they've been playing test match cricket like it's one day, the balls completely different and gives all sorts of movement you don't get in the white ball game.

I'd like to see the players 'get in' when they first arrive at the crease, you really need to do that in test match cricket, you can't just come in and start trying to blast away and waft your bat at every ball, really need to cut out playing ridiculous shots, they've got out so many times all series playing at stupid things that they should be leaving all day long

Look at Labuschagne for the Aussies, he's not spectacular, he scores really slowly, but he is a very good disciplined and organised test match player, very disciplined, the amount of balls outside the stumps he leaves and the high stuff that England's batsmen keep getting out wafting a bat at is unreal and a good example for them to follow, Stop playing at shit outside the line, stop playing at stuff up around your head, unless you are very good at playing those sort of deliveries and are already very well in and set