Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ashes, England (etc.) versus Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Martyboy View Post
    Pretty predictable 4th test result with Smith back in the Aussies' line-up....Despite the Stokes heroics in the last test England were pretty much 2nd best all series,it'll probably continue in the same vein at the Oval.....
    I dunno, the 2nd test would have probably gone England's way if it hadn't been interrupted by the weather!

In good news for England Mitch Marsh will play the 5th test

Australia win the toss and bowl which is a strange decision. Think England will win this one and square the series

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    Australia win the toss and bowl which is a strange decision. Think England will win this one and square the series
    "Australia on top in final Ashes test despite Buttler's battling half-century"
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    "Australia on top in final Ashes test despite Buttler's battling half-century"
    BBC Sport 14/09/19 15:45 "Stokes' half-century puts England in control"
    "Tea - England lead Australia by 262 runs with 8 wickets remaining"

Wow, England could win this.
    Pull their fingers out and get a lead of 400+.
    Declare with a 400+ lead and have a day to day and a half to bowl Australia out.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

England comfortably win the final test, in truth the Aussies were marginally better over the series, but they had the pick of all their bowlers and were able to rotate, England sorely missed Anderson, but England's bowlers were equally as good as it was only Smith and later Labuschagne they couldn't get out cheaply, FINALLY worked out very good plans for both that worked well in the final test, too late though. Despite Australia being marginally better in 3 of the tests, England likely would have won the ashes had it not been for the rain delays at Lords enabling Australia to hang on for a draw when England had been much the better side.

England still have problems to solve, they belatedly worked out Labuschagne and got Smith with a well exectued plan, but they need better plans for Smith when they next contest the Ashes, having a fit Jimmy Anderson who does to right handers whats Broad does to left handers would be massive.

Personally I think they weren't anything like aggressive enough in trying to remove Smith when he first came to the crease, he settles relatively quickly, but he is very twitchy in his first few overs, he has all these superstitions and his spotting and watching the ball so brilliantly is massive for him, so when he's first in they really need to have a padded up catcher either side of him to distract him and make it harder for him to settle and spot the deliveries, a man where Stokes caught him today and for Archer and Broad to attack him with balls coming up into his ribs going across him that he can only try and defend, hook or turn around the corner, just don't let him get settled and get his eye in or ever get comfortable, he is vulnerable in those first few overs

Curran bowled well, but isn't suitable for Aussie pitches and I didn't rate him with the bat at all, he lashed at far too many that were leaves and got out way too cheaply twice flashing hit bat at anything and everything, I think they should bring Pope in as an opener and move Denly back to four

My main complaint about England in the field throughout the series is they took far too many innings to make good plans for Smith and Labuschagne, didn't try what in my opinion is a decent plan to try to Smith once and in general were nowhere near aggressive enough with their field settings and plans to 3 and 4 when they got 2 very early wickets in every innings and the Ausiies were under pressure
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Curran was brilliant considering he's only 21, give the lad a chance.

He's going to be amazing if he keeps it up, with the ball at least.

Not sure if he's any worse than archer with the bat, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Curran was brilliant considering he's only 21, give the lad a chance.

He's going to be amazing if he keeps it up, with the ball at least.

Not sure if he's any worse than archer with the bat, lol.
    He will be suitable for a lot of test match cricket, his bowling won't suit or be effective on Aussie pitches though (or South African or New Zealand ones), they're very hard and flat as a rule and you don't get a lot of movement for the out and out seamers. Needs to learn very quickly not to waft his bat at every ball wherever it is, was very disappointed the senior batsman Butler didn't hard a word with him when he first came in both times, particularly as one of England's key problems in the first 4 test was getting out cheaply playing like it was one day cricket when they should have been leaving a lot more.

Took them to the last test of a 5 match series to learn not to take on the hook against the Aussie attack because of the accuracy of their bowlers and the ball always being too close to their bodies and never really being there for the hook and as soon as they did that and started ducking them all and making sure they got their hands out of the way the Aussies attack found it far more difficult to get them out

England really could and should have won the Ashes on home turf even without Anderson if they'd started out not doing any of the silly things above AND actually won the toss a few more times as that was key

I think for any relatively new young batsman the opposition don't have very much experience of Labuschagne is the perfecgt example of how they should set out, very solid defence, really good at leaving on line and length, let the ball come on to you, and when it is loose and well there to be hit capitalise. Starting out like that and not trying to let rip with or reveal your full repetoire of shots and preferred shots means it takes the opposition a lot longer to figure you out