Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ashes, England (etc.) versus Australia

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    couldn't find the "sarcasm" emoji, then?
    No sarcasm here - it's genuinely fun to hear comments like "England have bottled it again", which can so easily be applied to footie.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    No sarcasm here - it's genuinely fun to hear comments like "England have bottled it again", which can so easily be applied to footie.
    glad you're enjoying it - England cricket supporters don't!
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Lol wasn't a case of bottling it, main strike bowler injured and only bowled 4 overs, Ali didn't bottle it, he's always blown hot and cold and his performance against the Aussies in their second innings was woeful, England need to find a spinner who can be relied on to always be at least a 7 out of 10, if any of the seamers or fast bowlers were as inconsistent as Ali, they wouldn't be in the team.

There's also a hell of a lot of luck involved in cricket, Australia massively benefitted from the ball going 'dead' for 30-40 overs of their first and second innings, it's where and why they amassed most of their runs, when the ball reached that stage in England's first innings, it went a bit out of shape, so the Aussies managed to get it changed by the umpire. When this happens the umpire brings a box of old balls that have been used for the same number of overs in other tests for them to pick one, I actually think the rule should be changed on this and it should be the umpire who selects the ball, IE, selecting a ball that is in the same or similar condition but not mishapen. As the ball the Aussies selected looked a lot newer and in better condition than the others and it behaved like a new ball and got them crucial wickets at a time England would have been piling the runs on with little risk of getting out otherwise, which would have made it a VERY different game.

The thing with the box of balls that have been used for the same amount of overs in previous tests is really stupid imo, as the condition of the ball depends on the conditions it has been used in and how it has been used, so just having a ball of balls previously used in a test for the same number of overs is massively inconsistent. For example, had rain come today and rained play off, with today's ball having been used for say 40 overs, and that ball had gone into a box, it would have been in very good condition, because Australia were consistently bowling spin with it at one end, and because of the circumstances they could have 6 men around the bat, making scoring more difficult, so wouldn't have been bashed about a lot by the bat either
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed watching Lyon rip through England. Its a big bonus for the Australian batsmen to not have to face Anderson for the next couple of tests too

England folded like a pack of cards in the end.....Have to agree with Michael Vaughan's post match assessment on Channel 5...'I fear for this England team this summer'...'The Aussies look to have the better bowlers AND Steve Smith'....

Quote Originally Posted by Martyboy View Post
    England folded like a pack of cards in the end.....Have to agree with Michael Vaughan's post match assessment on Channel 5...'I fear for this England team this summer'...'The Aussies look to have the better bowlers AND Steve Smith'....
    Don't agree they have the better bowlers, they've got a more consistent spinner, they just benefitted from having the ball changed in England's first innings and despite having been previously used for the same number of overs in a test, the ball they picked was in far better condition than the one replaced and behaved like a new ball and that changed the game as England would have piled on A LOT more runs in that period otherwise, it was that period when the ball 'went dead' after 35-40 overs in which Australia got the vast majority of their runs in both innings. The ball change was the biggest game changer for Australia in that first test, had that not happened, England pile on 450 plus, Aussies under the cosh second innings, England can have 5 or 6 around the bat on every delivery, completely different game

Not hard bowling a team out when you have an lead you know is unassailable and can put 5 or 6 men around the bat for every delivery, it wasn't the bowlers that were the difference, that was the situation, if any test team found themselves in a position like that and could have 5 or 6 men around the bat for every delivery their bowlers would have a field day

WHY DOES ROY KEEP STARTING!!!!!!!

out for 0 this time, normally lasts at least 10 mins

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    WHY DOES ROY KEEP STARTING!!!!!!!

out for 0 this time, normally lasts at least 10 mins
    oh dear, took me back to Roy Hodgson's spell here at Anfield
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    oh dear, took me back to Roy Hodgson's spell here at Anfield
    Ditto.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Lol Aussies enjoying the British weather in the second test, think the Aussies are going to win the series, lady luck isn't just smiling on them throughout so far, she's giving them a golden shower