Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ashes, England (etc.) versus Australia

In fact, just stop hooking altogether, leave the short stuff and practice getting out of the way of it, even Smith, when he's well in and the ball's dead doesn't attempt to hook anymore, the quality and speed of deliveries in test match cricket are just too good now, all our players should be banned from hooking in test match cricket, it's rapidly disappearing from the test match game for a reason

AND somewhat embarrassingly, we're in England for fucks sake, our bowling in the last test was pretty awful, it's Headingley! Every single test we play at Headingley we always bowl a little too short, it's a pitch where you have to bowl a bit fuller and it gets the results, it's all the Aussies did, bit fuller, bit of seam making the batsmen play, and yes, we need to make them play more too.

I don't know what the pitch does at OT, what the right length is, but we're in England, the coaches and players should bloody well know and have the bowlers practicing what the perfect length and line is ahead of the next test
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Personally I'd move Denly up to open with Burns and let Roy bat in the middle order or bring in someone more capable of playing test match cricket in the middle order. I'm pretty up for giving Roy more time to adapt

If England can strike the right balance between test match play and switching to one day mode when the ball's old and has gone dead they could yet become a truly awesome test side. Imagine, the required sensible 'grinding' batting in the early overs against the new ball when it's moving a fair bit and then having seen that off, quickly taking the game away from the opposition in the 30-40 overs when the ball's gone dead and really isn't doing much at all

needing to last final day, ausy's got chance to bowl at us today for 30 mins

already 0-2 lmao

Well, the Aussies deservedly retain the Ashes outstanding bowling and Smith outstanding and with Jimmy missing through injury England sorely lacked any sort of plan to get Australia's right handers out throughout the series.

You have to remember that Jimmy has had the same devastating bowling and performance to right handers that Archer and Broad have enjoyed to the left handers. Jimmy does what all the Aussie bowlers do so well, put it's on the same spot with the right line and length aiming for the top of off stump off the seam and going the other way extremely consistently and England really missed that, with their inability to trouble and get the right handers out ultimately ending in defeat to Australia.

Poor bowling and fielding by England in Australia's first innings, very sloppy, missed and dropped chances and really should have had Australia out for no more than 350

I think England need a change of captain, for me Root simply isn't attacking enough, every test was the same, England got 2 or 3 very early wickets and instead of getting short leg and silly point in and 3 slips bowling at the wickets or short to nip up into the batsmans body rather than over their heads when they can easily duck and really applying the pressure and going after the new batsman Root relaxed the field and let them get a start and get settled every single time, whereas the Aussies and Paine kept the pressure right on.

Moving forward it has to be a worry for England on the bowling front, I don't really know about who's good or up and coming in county cricket who can do the job or something near it that Jimmy did and judging by the players tried in Jimmy's absence it would appear there isn't anyone.

Archer's still young so maybe the option is to develop and practice that line and length bowling inswingers at the top of off stump to right handers with the odd ball nipping the other way or vice versa as I'm sure it's well within his capabilities to develop that, I also really want to see him work on that bouncer to be nipping the odd one back in to the batsman's ribs at pace where they can't duck it and struggle to get bat and gloves out of the way of it, I think Archer doing that would be absolutely devastating, although you'd need a captain other than Root who actually has balls for that to work

One issue for England is, how much longer can James Anderson continue to bowl effectively?

James Anderson and Jofra Archer as opening bowlers could be devastating.

Let's hope Jimmy has a few more years in him.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Pretty predictable 4th test result with Smith back in the Aussies' line-up....Despite the Stokes heroics in the last test England were pretty much 2nd best all series,it'll probably continue in the same vein at the Oval.....

2-1 job done. The difference has been Smith's batting and the collective bowling attack of Australia.

Losing Anderson was a huge blow for England as a pace attack of him, Broad and Archer would be quite daunting.

One wonders if Anderson has played his last ashes test...

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    2-1 job done. The difference has been Smith's batting and the collective bowling attack of Australia.

Losing Anderson was a huge blow for England as a pace attack of him, Broad and Archer would be quite daunting.

One wonders if Anderson has played his last ashes test...
    One wonder if roy has played his last ashes test, lols.

Root 3 ducks is unacceptable, a great show of leadership, time for someone else to take the reigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    One wonder if roy has played his last ashes test, lols.

Root 3 ducks is unacceptable, a great show of leadership, time for someone else to take the reigns.
    "Ashes 2019: England unchanged for final Test against Australia"

link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49634736

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

It's almost as if cricket was a sport dominated by the middle-upper classes and as a result who you know/who you are'in' with matters more than how you actually perform when it matters. Colour me shocked!!!