Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: VAR justice

VAR justice

Let's keep a tab on how VAR affects the fortunes of our team and those of our main rivals for the title. These things are not always obvious to decide - a goal lost or gained at a certain point in the match can affect the game in many ways, but I'm interested in really telling contributions to the outcome of the match.

So that's

Manchester City - 2 points lost

Can't really argue with that. Any more so far this season?
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

Am I right in saying If the ball had hit the defenders arm in the City incident, it would NOT of been a penalty?

No idea, pal. I think what counts is that the ref wouldn't have disallowed the goal without VAR. It looked like a well worked goal that won the game.

That penalty that United got against PSG was a complete travesty to my mind. The hand ball rule has changed in a way that makes the game weirder. You want to see defenders throw themselves at shots without the worry that something they can't control will end up being a foul. I thought the hand raised above the elbow rule was about right - there is some control there and its an advantage to make more blocking space by raising your arms.
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

I don't think there was anything controversial last weekend

VAR in the Premier League: How did first weekend go for technology in top flight? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49307496

But a good idea to keep tabs on it, perhaps it'll "even itself out over the season"!

I dont have an issue with the handball being given and the goal being chalked off. Theres no grey area then, the sane should apply to offside. I dont care if a players at the corner flag, if hes offside hes offside. End of any disparity and nobody can complain.
    On a side note, the way they carried on after that decision was disgraceful. Jesus should be broughg to book for being in the refs face. A horrid pack of cunts they are and another example of their toys out of pram behaviour.
    And Peps nice guy routine pisses me off, hes far from it. Hes a calculating fuck. Even Pellegrini mentioned their tactical fouls last week.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Am I right in saying If the ball had hit the defenders arm in the City incident, it would NOT of been a penalty?
    Correct. I thought it was a harsh decision to disallow it. How many people who saw the game, said that was handball BEFORE VAR intervened? I'm guessing no-one did.
    Last edited by skyebo; 18th August 2019 at 10:08 AM.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

It was harsh - but it was the letter of the law. IF we have VAR and it is to be used then if we see an infringement - no matter how small - it has to be flagged.

However - why was it not used when a City player was hauled down in the box? This is the problem. When is VAR to be deployed. IF it is to be used on every decision it will become like American football...

I fear for the game

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Correct. I thought it was a harsh decision to disallow it.
    So did I.

By the way, is VAR automatic now in that kind of situation or did the referee suspect that an infringement may have taken place and call for it?

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Correct. I thought it was a harsh decision to disallow it. How many people who saw the game, said that was handball BEFORE VAR intervened? I'm guessing no-one did.
    For sure - the Spuds' players weren't even appealing.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    So did I.

By the way, is VAR automatic now in that kind of situation or did the referee suspect that an infringement may have taken place and call for it?
    It is for this as it's a rule change, don't think the ref is even involved unless he sees it, but I don't know how far back they have to go to see if any handball occurred in the build up to a goal.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."