Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Thread: New contract for Matip

New contract for Matip

Get it sorted out, immense player and head and shoulders our best centre back after Virgil
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtainsĒ

It doesn’t seem that long ago that people were calling him Bambi on ice. What a turnaround. Obviously playing alongside VvD doesn’t do any harm, but all the same he seems to have made that position his own. Quite a bargain as well when you consider what people are spending on central defenders at the moment.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

He looked an absolute liability tbf - I donít think playing with Sakho and joke keepers had helped his game in all truth - but even in VVDís debut game v the BS January 5th 2018 in the Cup - Virgil spent half the game screaming at both him and Karius. He looked a real weak link. Lovren got back in beside Virgil and had a decent run but since Lovren lost his place Matip has been superb, truly like a different player - So good a fit Gomez canít get in.
    Last edited by Steveo; 31st August 2019 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    It doesn’t seem that long ago that people were calling him Bambi on ice. What a turnaround. Obviously playing alongside VvD doesn’t do any harm, but all the same he seems to have made that position his own. Quite a bargain as well when you consider what people are spending on central defenders at the moment.
    I was one of them, how wrong have I been. Even at the start of the season I had Gomez over him to start. But he's been outstanding these past couple of games, It's as if he's picked up from his performances from last season.
    On a side Gomez never looks too happy when we see him sat on the bench. Hopefully him and Manť weren't sat beside each other on the bus home 😂😂

It’s amazing what a run of games can do for a players confidence. You wonder if somebody like Shaqiri would turn into the real deal if he was in the first 11 every week.

Matip’s biggest strength is his reading of the game. He’s not blessed with amazing pace, but his awareness makes up for it. His passing is very good but he also knows when to hoof it. Physically he’s a bit lacking (compared to VvD for example), which means he gives away some clumsy looking free kicks in 50/50 tussles.

Keeping a whole squad happy is a massive challenge when most of the starting 11 are nailed on.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    I was one of those. He was so nervy at the begonning. But I also think his gangly gate also contributes to this. He is however I fantastic defender.

Overall i think playing with other clam heads has done the job for our entire defence and say of defending. You can trust the man next to you and this means less heroics, panic and nervousness. Mignolet, Moreno, Sakho and Dejan and Skrtel to an extent brought such nervous panic to the game and gave the opposition such confidence.

Now with van Dijk and Matip you literally see the opposition getting discouraged and ditching their game plan. Burnley knee that the hoof was getting nowhere against our CB and then tried to play around at the back and we scorched them.