Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 17 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: New Balance or Nike? (The decision is made today)

New Balance or Nike? (The decision is made today)

Today a ruling will be made over whether our club will be allowed to sign a deal with Nike when our contract with New Balance ends in 2020. The initial deal with Nike is supposedly worth 15m p.a. less than our existing deal, but due to royalties and Nike having a larger/wider distribution network it's possible we'd end up getting more in the long run.

My problem with Nike is that they are repeatedly/currently in the news, often for the wrong and some would say self serving reasons. They have been in the news over their involvement with Colin Kaepernick in what some see as nothing more than a cynical marketing ploy. Then you have the recent drugs scandal involving the 'Nike Oregon project' and Alberto Salazar, and the current scandal involving the NBA and China where the Houston Rockets owner was forced to remove a tweet of his supporting the demonstrations in Hong Kong, and 'Nike' removing Houston Rockets merchandise from their China stores.

All that is before you factor in how/where their products are made, and them having celebs likes Drake who get involved with players.

Personally I'd rather forgo a few million quid a year (especially as I expect any extra money to go into our owners back pockets rather than towards any transfers) and either stick with New Balance or go with a kit supplier who don't leave their conscience at the front door when doing so means there is money to be made.

Who would you rather we signed a new kit deal with out of the two?

I'd stay with NB. I've really liked their kits and have a general dislike for Nike. If we had to switch, I'd rather go for a German brand.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Don't like the Nike spray on kits, and didn't realise they are offering less up front.

I'd stick with NB and wait for Adidas.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Nike for me.

Those thinking we'll stick with NB are mad, gone through a big court case for a reason.

It's going to be nike, deal with it !

The club has already said that the relationship is so soured at this point to continue working together iirc.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

The structure of the deal must have the potential for huge money though i assume despite the initial lower payment. Plus exposure wise the difference will be night and day.

N.b did a decent job though kit wise it must be said

We get 75m whoever we use, and I'll never buy a shirt so I'm not arsed. That said, I can't imagine a deal with NB being very harmonious after these shenanigans.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

I'd like to stay with NB because of they style of kits we've had but can't see it happening now. Let's just hope whoever we get, we get as much cash out of them as possible.

The club has won the case. We're free to sign with whomever we like.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non