Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Thread: Sorting out the VAR issues

Great post CD, he should be getting a League 1 game at the weekend given his standard lately. I used to, like you think he was just a terrible ref but it's moved beyond that this season. Was it him that sent mane off for the high foot at city 2 yes back? Funny I don't think there has been a red card since for anything remotely similar.

I think an English ref was selected for the WC - that guy who went to the Middle East. I forgot his name.

But since he switched federation he couldn't represent England. Or something. I don't remember the exact excuse.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by sydenham red View Post
    Great post CD, he should be getting a League 1 game at the weekend given his standard lately. I used to, like you think he was just a terrible ref but it's moved beyond that this season. Was it him that sent mane off for the high foot at city 2 yes back? Funny I don't think there has been a red card since for anything remotely similar.
    Yep, that was him too.

That as when the "Twatkinson" nickname really caught on.

It used to be him and Clattenburg that used to ref our games like complete pricks, but Clattenburg retired so now it's just this clown.
    But no, I think he's just generally awful and not up to the task at this level.
    To be precise it's only a portion of me downloaded via satellite.
    This Gynoid's E-brain lacks.........capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I think an English ref was selected for the WC - that guy who went to the Middle East. I forgot his name.

But since he switched federation he couldn't represent England. Or something. I don't remember the exact excuse.
    That's Mark Clattenburg you're thinking about and whom I mentioned.

He "retired" from the Premier League since he took up a position in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia) where he now lives and works, and as a result of that (and being registered to work there and not in the UK) he could not officiate in the World Cup.
    And FIFA also denied the English FA any chance to replace him with another British referee (they had a list of about 10 including Atkinson)

Th UK had officially had no officials officiating the World Cup,....HOWEVER,....there was a (born and raised) Englishman who worked as a linesman.
    That was Leicester born and raised Simon Lount who has since his 20's been a citizen of New Zealand where he lives with his family.
    (he might have still retained his British citizenship and passport, but officially he's a Kiwi)

He was registered as a New Zealand referee.

If goal-line technology works perfectly well, why can't some form of offside VAR technology be developed along the same lines?

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    If goal-line technology works perfectly well, why can't some form of offside VAR technology be developed along the same lines?
    It wouldn't be practical (or even technologically feasible at this point in time, at least) with offside, because with players it involves a moving "goal line" or moving plane as manifest by the last defender.

Goal line technology works primarily in one of two main ways

1) Cameras:-

You have high speed cameras at the goal posts and bar (typically 7 for each goal) that simultaneously record and track the ball's motion past the line and they work in tandem such that even if any one is blocked the others can still get the necessary information.

2) Magnetic field.

A sensor attached to the ball, which triggers a notification when the whole ball crosses the goal line which has a strip of thin wires that run underneath the goal line and project a magnetic field that can only be broken by the sensor on the ball when it completely breaks that plane.

Both of these technologies are obviously reliant on detecting a fixed (stationary or non-moving) plane which is the goal line.
    You can see where the problem in trying either of these systems would be with players.

Either attach magnetic sensors to every player (which would be a nightmare for even the world's fastest computer to track) and a moving magnetic field generator from the opposing defenders), or high speed cameras lining up the entire opposing team's half of the field or at least their penalty box.
    Both of these are impractical and would just never work - never mind the insane amount of money that would need to be involved even in a large tournament like the World Cup.

There are just some things in football and sports in general where technology will never completely replace human capacity and ability.
    At least not in any of our lifetimes.

They're apparently trying to come up with an automatic system for offsides, though I can't imagine it being easy.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    They're apparently trying to come up with an automatic system for offsides, though I can't imagine it being easy.
    That would be impressive if they did.

Though I can't imagine how difficult it would be to implement on a worldwide scale or at least for official tournaments (FIFA and the various confederations) everywhere given all the variables in technology and economics.

Offside has been the biggest talking point in football ever since I can remember. They have made it even harder to officiated as they now let attacking players stand in an offside position. If they had left it alone there wouldn't be the need for VAR as linesmen would be able far more times than not to get it right.
    As for the Firmino no goal , how do we know if he was on or off when the ball was first passed ? All we have is pictures of the two players in the box.
    It needs binned but I very much doubt they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    That would be impressive if they did.

Though I can't imagine how difficult it would be to implement on a worldwide scale or at least for official tournaments (FIFA and the various confederations) everywhere given all the variables in technology and economics.
    I don't think it'll need super impressive new hardware - as far as I heard it'll be something to do with image processing. A few half decent PCs you can buy at your local vendor should be able to handle that. Think here the challenge might be more in implementing a working algorithm. There's just so many variables! And doing it frame by frame will be a nightmare, even with modern high performance image recognition software.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non