Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bayern Coach

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Agree with pretty much all of that and maybe youre right about them not liking him but I guess tolerating him if he brings them back. He'd need to have a pretty quick and effective impact I'd say. Its a tricky job for him if he took it, his stock has fallen and if he didnt turn round what is a big,big job he'd be on hard times in terms of big club management.
    Bayern would be a much safer bet but family rules and he still lives in London I believe?
    That's the thing with managers like Maureen.

He gets hired because he delivers.
    Not because people like him (if anything, quite the opposite. Chelsea was probably the last club he was "beloved" and that was only during his first stint there).
    Or his brand of football.
    He serves a purpose.

Does anyone here believe he'd be out of a job if it was at Arsenal that he'd gotten hired on his return to England and he returned them to 2nd in the league and won them the Europa League? Even with a less than satisfactory run of results in his second season?

The thing is, the Mancs have a deluded sense of their own self-importance and their place in history, so when he stumbled the 2nd season and them he brings their team to Anfield and we thrashed them, that was a bridge too far for them (Added to the fact that we're both heading in different directions as clubs). So naturally for them a 2nd place finish (to their hated City rivals) and a Europa League win, is "beneath" them and not up to their expectations. Or so they deluded themselves into thinking.

If he takes the Bayern job, it's ambition (wanting to win a title in a fourth country, and possibly a CL as well and being the only manager to do so).

If he takes the Arsenal job it would be for comfort, security and the ease of low expectations (of a club like Arsenal) and maybe a little bit of ego in trying to do something his former hated rival in Wenger couldn't do.
    To be precise it's only a portion of me downloaded via satellite.
    This Gynoid's E-brain lacks.........capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I must confess to bricking it for the final.. I couldn't enjoy it really ( pretty pathetic in all honesty but there it is ) until Origi put in the second..
    Most fans if they're being honest will be right there with you on that.

I personally wasn't that worried since we seemed to be managing the game well enough despite not playing that well, and Spurs just seemed to lack that cutting edge.
    UNTIL,....that brief 10-15 minute period before we scored the second when they were peppering our goal with shots, and even then, when Allisson made that diving save from the Son shot (I believe it was Son. could have been Erickson), then I calmed down again as I knew we had this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    It wasn't a purity test.
    Fair enough, I apologise.

I was just saying that if you don't believe our team is capable of winning the Champions League again this year (or even the league), then I can see how you would see the humour in Mourinho winning it instead.
    I can't see how I'd need to think we're incapable of winning the two competitions in order to find it funny if Bayern do win it with Mou in charge. Don't see a connection there at all. You can still be annoyed if they knock us out but see the funny side in them winning it.

It doesn't necessarily make you any lesser of a Liverpool fan.
    If anything it probably makes you more of one than one of the newly minted Johnny-come-latelys

I know of fans who thought we'd find a way to bollox it up against the Spuds last year in the Champion's League finals.

(almost) 30 years of heartbreak supporting this club will tend to do that to you.
    I didn't think the CL was done and dusted when we got Spurs in the final. They're a good team and can hurt you.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I can't see how I'd need to think we're incapable of winning the two competitions in order to find it funny if Bayern do win it with Mou in charge. Don't see a connection there at all. You can still be annoyed if they knock us out but see the funny side in them winning it.

....which isn't the perspective of most Liverpool fans or even the average Liverpool fan.
    Even you can admit that.

Most fans aren't going to be finding the funny side or the humourous irony of Bayern winning it with Mourinho - an admittedly hated figure where our club is concerned.

Maybe you're special and see things differently and are capable of finding the bright or funny side of things like that.
    But like I said, you have to be honest and admit that most are not going to see it that way, and not surprisingly so.

And again,....not a statement on whether or not your a better or "purer" fan than they are or less so.

Do you honestly think most fans wouldn't also be able to see the funny side if Mou went to Bayern and won the CL at our expense? I can't say I've given that particular issue much thought, but that would honestly surprise me. Though I don't maintain too many close and active relationships with other footie fans so I can't say I have much of an informed opinion.

I mean, it's not like we're expected to win the darn thing, right? We have a better chance than most, but it's not like we're nailed on. And even if we were, Mou foiling us again after 2014 would be rather ironic.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non