Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415161718192262 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

The Madrid 19 banner is the business. Fully deserves his place on the Kop.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    The Madrid 19 banner is the business. Fully deserves his place on the Kop.
    I saw that, I was made up for Hendo, thoroughly deserved
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Henderson

4 trophies in less than 12 months

European Cup
    Super cup
    World Club
    Premier league

Hands up who didnt believe in captain Henderson...

He's not won the PL just yet.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Henderson

4 trophies in less than 12 months

European Cup
    Super cup
    World Club
    Premier league

Hands up who didnt believe in captain Henderson...
    I totally didn’t.

I've always believed in Hendo, he's an incredible player, you have to recognise players in their own right and on their own merits based on where and how they play, Shankly would have had Hendo in any of his teams, all our lads fit the following of his conditions, but none moreso than our captain fantastic

“No football club is ever successful without hard work. If everyone thinks along these lines and does the small jobs to the best of their ability, then the world will be better.”

Shankly was the manager that installed the now-iconic ‘This is Anfield’ plaque at the Liverpool grounds during his tenure. The below sentence is one of those Bill Shankly quotes that perfectly sums up why Shankly strove for success at Anfield and who he dedicated it to:

“This is to remind our lads who they’re playing for, and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against.”

“For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting the other side.”

“I’ve drummed it into our players time and again that they are privileged to play for you.”

I’ve certainly had periods of doubt that he was good enough, in fact there were times when he wasn’t. Rafa was letting him go for the equivalent of lunch money but he refused to go.

He is a great example to all, of what you can do with total dedication, extreme hard work and never say die tenacity.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I’ve certainly had periods of doubt that he was good enough, in fact there were times when he wasn’t. Rafa was letting him go for the equivalent of lunch money but he refused to go.

He is a great example to all, of what you can do with total dedication, extreme hard work and never say die tenacity.
    Kenny signed Hendo, he wasn't even here under Rafa, he continually works hard to improve, but he is a far more talented player than people give him credit for, his goal and assist returns prior to being moved to No6 and our change of system were actually really good for a midfielder who was box to box and spent a lot of time doing the hard yards and a lot of defensive work and who didn't take penalties, free kicks or corners. He has a very high level of ability, people seem to think hard work is the only thing he offers

Let's take a look at a youtube of Fabinho being 'great' that perfectly illustrates a point I made earlier in this thread and why Hendo being at 6 has coincided with our run of clean sheets, knowledge, reading of the game, better positional sense and awareness. This Fabinho being great youtube is absolutely riddled with examples of Fabinho not having the same level of these qualities as Hendo, letting a player get played in behind him centrally, running at our defence with options and having to chase back to try and make a tackle and these are the examples of when he made the tackle, but there were plenty of times he didn't. I really rate Fabinho but don't think he's as good as Hendo and think he has a lot of developing to do in the No6 role

How often in any of our games since Hendo went back to No6 have you seen him having to chase back because he's allowed a player to beat our press which he plays a huge part in orchestrating? Once a game in the odd game at that? How often have you seen players get in those positions running at Hendo in our latest run of games? Most of the time they don't even get turned, he's on it, destroying everything, reading the game, playing off his team mates, snuffing out danger right across the pitch before it even gets to the point you see it at in most of Fabinho's being 'great' youtube, his distribution has also been better and understanding of when to press high, like for our goal v Spurs recently, he's not just been destroying everything, he's been making the play brilliantly and making vital contributions further forward

Last edited by Nineteenx; 22nd January 2020 at 12:10 PM.

Yep my bad, should have said Brendan.

The point stands, he has not always been the player he has become, one of THE first names on the team sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Yep my bad, should have said Brendan.

The point stands, he has not always been the player he has become, one of THE first names on the team sheet.
    I'm not knocking Fabinho in any way shape or form, that's what building a squad of top players with different attributes to all push each other, work really fucking hard to evolve and improve their individual games and the teams play is all about, players come in and perform better or change a dynamic helping the team perform better, then the other players watch, learn, work hard and develop and raise the bar again. I think Fabinho is a top top player, I still think when he plays we need Hendo in the line up with him as he doesn't orchestrate the press as well ,read it as well or make the play as well as Hendo does all those things and needs the support of Hendo and I'm sure Fabinho will have been watching Hendo's immense displays and he'll be made to watch videos of them and comparisons to his own game and he'll be pushing hard to raise the bar again.

It's a testament to all our players hard work and the evolution of the team also, better pressing from the team collectively, each player getting better at taking positions off each other in pressing and counter pressing, better movement and use of the pockets for Hendo to have options to make the play as he has been doing, when that wasn't anywhere near the level it is now when he was last at No6 last season, and he'd so often look up and not have an option and be forced to play sideways or backwards.

In some games, particularly those when the opposition are a top top side and have a top top class attacking threat on their left, and midfielders who like to try and sit and dictate play the combination of Hendo and Fabinho is essential, Hendo makes sure he's helping out on our right and covering that space in behind Fabinho while Fabinho's working further forward with Bobby absolutely destroying the CM's of the opposition.

I think Hendo at No6 helps all our other midfielders play better, it's going to be interesting when Fabinho comes back in, because it's a different dynamic and will be a different way of playing, the way I see it at present is the Hendo covers Gini and particularly our RCM to be more attacking and Gini or the RCM covers Hendo when he picks the right moment to press high anywhere across the line, when Fabinho plays, he plays a lot more central, it's very rare you see him helping out at either full back position in any game and he plays further forward, so Gini and Hendo are a bit more restricted to their fixed positions and aware they have to cover the hole Fabinho pressing so high leaves, so the midfield and our play is less fluid. That dynamic changes again when Matip plays, because he reads the game brilliantly and will often be looking to move into the space Fabinho leaves to tackle on opposition mid