Thread: Congratulations to Mancini and italy

Congratulations to Mancini and italy

I think Mancini and Italy deserve enormous credit for how they have turned things around from missing out on the World Cup and how Mancini understood the need to implement a high quality pressing and counter pressing game and instilled one in his side over the past 3 years as a huge evolution of the way Italian sides have always traditionally played and perhaps their success will also spark a renaissance in the fortunes of Italian club sides in top European competition.

The comparison between the incredible evolution Mancini has initiated and the Italian national side, with the same evolution almost certain to follow in Italian club side is a very stark contrast between the devolution of how Southgate used the players at his disposal in how he had them play in the England team compared to how most play at their English club sides regularly competing for the biggest prizes in European football

Mancini's bravery in what he did is also incredibly admirable, totally and completely against the grain of decades of Italian national and club side football, forward thinking, progressive, his understanding of the value of and need to play a high quality pressing game and how if played correctly and well enough that prevents teams from countering you and employing Italy's best attacking full back Spinazzola in a very high pressing forward attacking role throughout also bears a stark contrast to Southgate's cowardice in dropping a player of even greater quality than Spinazzola from his England squad entirely earlier this season because he doesn't understand these values or aspire to them or have the spine to implement them

Italy and Mancini in particular thoroughly deserved every success their bravery and manager's innovation and understanding of what is required to win at the very highest level in modern football brought them.

Mancini should get special recognition for what he has done and achieved, he has completely rebuilt and innovated the way the Italian national side plays, he has also done something I have never seen any national manager achieve in my entire lifetime, he has taken players used to playing a dour defensive counter attacking game at their clubs and transformed them into players playing a high intensity pressing, counter pressing and passing game, far above the level at which they play for their clubs, again a stark contrast to Southgate who has done the exact opposite.

I cannot give Mancini and all his players who have bought into playing as he set out to have them do completely against the culture of their entire history of their national and club sides, it is an absolutely sensational achievement and story
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

The only criticism I can aim at Mancini, is persisting with the traditional Italian No9, when such a player does not fit or suit the style of play he has implemented. If he can find a player who is a false 9 No9 hybrid coming through the Italian ranks to play there or play Insigne there and find another players who can play left or right or left and right as Cheisa does, he is going to have a side well capable of repeating his success at the Euros in next years world cup

Had he not changed his No9 for a wide forward and moved Insigne to a false 9 position and Chiesa left, it might very well have turned out differently for him tonight, but he had the managerial ability and experience to do that and realise it was necessary, Southgate can't even realise playing a high quality pressing and counter pressing game in top level football against top level opposition and using the players at his disposal as they are used at their clubs who already challenge for top European honours every season playing that way is what's required

Worthy winners. Played decent football. Did have to go to ET to beat a lot of teams but hey ho
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

What outcome do think it may have been had Spain been in the final?

Think the Spaniards would have tore the England defence a new one.

Thought it was one of the worst games of the tourny by italy, didn't matter like still good enough to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post

Until the ball got to Morata and he put it into row Z

Never climbed onboard the Ingurland express, they weren’t good enough to win the World Cup and they weren’t good enough to win the Euros.

Never ceases to amaze me how every time England win a game, the bandwagon starts rolling again.
    The midfield that Southgate persisted with couldn’t pass water. Italy showed how to keep the ball and play football last night and they were nowhere near as good at it as Spain. It just highlighted the usual English deficiencies.

Well done Italy, overall probably the best team at the Tournament and deserved victors.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post

Maybe engalnd gets more joy on the break against Spain.
    Chiesa looked good last night, but I'd give my motm award to chiellini.
    Got caught out by Saka once but really was exceptional otherwise.
    Constantly pushing on down the left side and developing play.
    Their 2 cbs and verratti making the goal.

On paper England's CB pairing are statistically the best in the tournament, in reality that Italian pairing are absolute beasts in terms of ability and leadership.

Thought England looked more likely to score after southgate made some changes for a while. Overall the Italians dominated the game and deservedly won the match.

Lots made of the subbed on players by southgate, seemed to display his nerves around the shootout.
    A penalty is easier to score than miss in reality, his actions displayed a sense of terror.

I actually believe Mancini modelled how he wants his Italy side to play based more on Jurgen's Liverpool than any of the other top European club sides, right down to using his LBs and Spinazzola in particular as Jurgen likes to use Trent on our right