Page 34 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2427282930313233343536373839404144 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain

Well done Hendo, personally think Mane deserved it but cant begrudge Hendo whose been superb.

Trent another good shout imo, this seaso he broke his/the pl assist record he set for assists from a defender in a single season last year. Chipped in with a few goals too.

Dear Trent/Sadio theres always next year hope the pl medals offer some consolation

They were talking about the awards on the radio yesterday. They mentioned that a fair few 'journalists' had voted for Henderson.
    He's had a great season and is a worthy winner, though like CCTV I personally would have voted for Mane, with Trent also being there or thereabouts.

I think KDB will win the PFA award, even though I personally think the praise he's getting is a bit OTT. Yes he's obviously a great player, but whenever I've watched him he never really seems to 'boss' games, namely 'big' games. Yes his numbers are very good, but he plays for a club who have the most expensive squad in history, whilst his team is almost solely attack focused. Given the praise he has been getting, he really should be 'bossing' games on a regular basis, especially 'big' games, and he should also be posting absolutely insane numbers.

I think what sets Hendo aside from so many other more flashy midfielders we've had, during our title drought who all tried and failed to land No19where Hendo succeeded is his incredible resilience and selflessness, every thing Hendo does and all the hard work he puts in that has seen him develop his game to heights many of us did not expect him to reach is driven by his desire to be the very best player he possibly can for the team,his team mates, his manager, the club and the fans it's not about Jordan Henderson and never has been.

A true club legend and a shining example to every aspiring player
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Maybe but none of the others have had the quality of this squad around them or THIS manager.

We've got genuine world class or top premier league talent across the pitch. Multiple captains.

Make Henderson the captain of one of Rafa's teams and we still don't win the league. We just didn't have the quality or depth. We have a very good team.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Maybe but none of the others have had the quality of this squad around them or THIS manager.

We've got genuine world class or top premier league talent across the pitch. Multiple captains.

Make Henderson the captain of one of Rafa's teams and we still don't win the league. We just didn't have the quality or depth. We have a very good team.
    Agree and disagree, we have to ask how this squad became so good, in Rafa's squad we were still in the era of the superstar player, a few of them looking for their next big move after Liverpool and a lot of egos, the humility and no room for egos and everything being about the team and rather than looking elsewhere every players drive to be to constantly improve to make sure they were at the best team on the planet, which they now are as a result of that hard work, comes from the manager AND having the right captain who absolutely epitomises that and there can't be any arguments at all that Hendo absolutely does
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Happy to be wrong; thought Hendo was going to lose the armband in Van Dijk's first full season.

No captain gonna win the league under Rafa's era, we were going to bankrupt and which players were not looking for a move ?

Henderson works really hard .

But he isn't world class , won't ever get to the heights of Gerrard or Souness. Or be in 99% of people's liverpool best ever.

Yet he was won pretty much everything in his career with LFC. And the last 12 months wow.

What was it about Carra, a team if Carras. Pretty much the same for Hendo. A team of Hendos.

Many never ever thought he would do what he has done (me included) , and especially after taking over from Gerrard.

Perhaps sometimes a player leaving allows others to step up their game.

Well done Jordan Henderson and fully deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Joetan991 View Post
    No captain gonna win the league under Rafa's era, we were going to bankrupt and which players were not looking for a move ?
    We also must begrudgingly admit that Man United were also extremely strong back then - particularly 07/08 and the following couple of seasons - three Champion's League finals in 4 years and had Pep's Barca not been around they might have 4 or even 5 European Cups - much as I dislike Guardiola these days there's still a part of me that's very thankful that he and Messi and co peaked when they did - Fergie didn't beat Paisley's record for European Cups won and there is distance between us and them in Europe.

One of the best United sides ever and one of the best Chelsea sides ever were both around during Rafa's tenure. It was always an uphill battle, but some of our European nights under Rafa are my fondest footballing memories. We basically went on a 6-year European tour, beating historically strong sides on their own soil and added so much weight to the idea that Anfield was an almost impossible place for sides to come and win in Europe.

The small chip Atletico left in that "Armour" of ours annoyed me almost as much as being knocked out of the tournament itself. Anfield felt like an impossible task in Europe for a while and I hope we can remind everyone that we won't be pushed about on Home soil very soon. 20/21 will be a challenge as we're unlikely to have full capacity crowds but hopefully in 21/22 the cacophony of noise gets to be in full swing again.

Henderson’s positive affect on the team when he starts is absolutely undeniable.

Over the last two seasons he has played 62 games and missed 13.
    Our win percentage with him in the team is an incredible 85.5% as opposed to a decent 61.5%.
    We have lost only 2 of the 62 games he has started and average goals against is 0.6 versus 1.3 when he’s missing, more than double.
    What a player he has evolved into, captain of a team who are current English, European, Super Cup and World Champions.
    Never been done before. Not by Real or Barca or Juve, not by Fergie or even the great Milan side.
    Never ever been done.

Well deserved award, what a man, proud to have him as Captain of our club.

Well in la.