Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Keita

He definitely needs game time to get back to his peak but not sure he looked quite at the level required for a game v Atletico - but then again Klopp does love him to bits so he might well get the nod.

His forward forays would be welcome IF he is up to it - I guess we will know in 48 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    He definitely needs game time to get back to his peak but not sure he looked quite at the level required for a game v Atletico - but then again Klopp does love him to bits so he might well get the nod.

His forward forays would be welcome IF he is up to it - I guess we will know in 48 hours
    He won't start v Atletico, the team Sid and I both picked in the your team thread will start
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I don't agree with that at all, he needs game time and rhythm and hopefully the 'follow on' injuries from his playing at AFCON when injured have worked their way through his body now.

The midfield for the very biggest games is

Henderson Fabinho Wijanldum

Keita Henderson Wijnaldum

Henderson Fabinho Keita

For me

If we were chasing a game last 15-20 minutes having started with the first midfield, I think Fabinho or Gini would be the midfielder hooked to bring on Keita depending whether Jurgen though we'd get most joy from the change on our left or right
    Hes been at Liverpool a year and a half. If he hasn't got a regular place by now hes not going to get one.
    How much time does he get? He must have spent 50 percent of his time out inured. That's not suddenly going to change.
    He had a few games prior to that last injury where he did reasonably well but still nowhere near a 50m midfielder. He wouldn't get a game for any other top side. He can get away with it at Liverpool because he has plenty of quality around him. I feel the same about Ox. Neither are top level, not in the same class as Gini,Hendo and Fab. We could upgrade on both of them in the summer in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Hes been at Liverpool a year and a half. If he hasn't got a regular place by now hes not going to get one.
    How much time does he get? He must have spent 50 percent of his time out inured. That's not suddenly going to change.
    He had a few games prior to that last injury where he did reasonably well but still nowhere near a 50m midfielder. He wouldn't get a game for any other top side. He can get away with it at Liverpool because he has plenty of quality around him. I feel the same about Ox. Neither are top level, not in the same class as Gini,Hendo and Fab. We could upgrade on both of them in the summer in my opinion.
    I'll agree to strongly disagree, I think you're being incredibly harsh on both players, both have come in and scored vital goal for us this season when we were without Fabinho and then Mane

It's no big deal for me Keita having injuries in his first season, he really shouldn't have gone to AFCON, not like Guinea had any chance of winning it either and that's the cause of his set backs this season. It's not uncommon for players to come to the more physically demanding Premier League and suffer tweaks and be in and out in their first season, Pires had a season and a half of that at Arsenal and being very shit before he got going and became incredible, you can't just write players off after a season and a half.

He looks to have developed a VERY good understanding with all our front 3 and had an incredible understanding with Werner at Leipzig who we might be signing this summer. As for nailing down a starting position, I think we'll always have games in which we play 2 more holding No8's and games in which we play one more holding No8 and one more attacking No8, we very clearly switch between doing those 2 things depending on the opposition.

Keita's going to be a fantastic player for us, if we do sign Fabian Ruiz or a similar type of player who's naturally left footed to play in games at LCM to be more of a KDB type but who's better defensively and without the ball, that will be of huge benefit to Naby too. Gini is absolutely brilliant at what he does, but him not being naturally left footed means the RCM, Trent and Salah don't get much from him, whereas, Hendo, Keita, Oxlade and Trent all regularly get Gini involved with right to left switches and centre to left from Hendo too. Keita links particularly well with Mo.

With Oxlade again I think you're being very harsh, he was out for a very long time, during the time he was out the team went through massive evolution, it's hard enough for a player to come back from injuries like that and get back to the level they were at before, but Oxlade's been faced with the incredible task of coming back from that injury and having to be A LOT better than he was prior to it, with the other players all continually working incredibly hard to raise their levels still further and for me he's been making considerable stride towards that and has contributed very well when we've needed him. He is our first player to enable to the team functioning as it does with all our front three present without one of them in 3 years and scored 2 goals in 2 and a half games in Mane's position doing that.

Just as a side note, most people here drastically underrated Hendo for almost the entirety of his Liverpool career to date, numerous people here wanted him moved on last summer even after he was the catalyst for our incredible run in the league and Champions League after the Southampton game. Just have some faith in the players all working together with Jurgen and the staff, Keita WILL be an absolutely superb player for us

I just don't think they are starting 11 players. Fully agree they did a job and contributed but thats what squad players do- come in and do a job for when the player ahead is out for whatever reason.
    Keita wont be moved on as Klopp will give him time, I personally wouldn't.
    I'd keep Ox but would be looking for another midfielder in the summer who's better than both.

I just don't think they are starting 11 players. Fully agree they did a job and contributed but thats what squad players do- come in and do a job for when the player ahead is out for whatever reason.
    I'd keep Ox but would be looking for another midfielder in the summer who's better than both.
    I'm quite sure both will prove you wrong, I hope we're looking for another couple of midfielders in the summer to contribute immediately and build for long term sustainability, but not to replace Keita or Oxlade. A player for LCM who can be employed as a sitting No8 or an attacking No8 and is naturally left footed and has greater playmaking ability from different areas and different skills sets than Naby or Oxlade is what I hope we're looking for most of all, I think that would be a very evolutionary step for us

...and be happy playing 2nd fiddle?.....that won't be easy, as has been proved already.

The problem (a great one) is our first 11 doesn't have a weakness, we haven't be able to say that for well over 20 years. Could we buy better players for certain positions? probably, but we don't need to, just like we didn't need to last summer.

Best case scenario for this summer is a couple of additions that are a season or 2 away from a regular starting spot, maybe Werner and that fella 19's got a semi for.

On Keita, that monster that played in Germany is in there somewhere, if he can stay fit for a run of games I'm sure we'll see it.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

I’ve seen enough of Keita since he arrived to know that there’s a very good player there “if” he can stay fit. He’s never going to make it if he’s missing 75% of the season injured. Fitness and rhythm are the key... neither of which he’s had.

I don’t think it’s the intensity of the premier league that’s to blame, he’s last injury was sustained in the warm up.

Unless we can recoup a hefty proportion of what we paid for him, I’d give him another season.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Unless Klopp changes to 4-4-2 which I doubt very much, I can't see him getting a run of games unless someone gets injured and is out for a lengthy spell. A midfield of Henderson Fabinho and Wijnaldum seems to be his first choice, with the others on the bench or not in squad.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)