Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long overdue UEFA rule change

Long overdue UEFA rule change

I'm not just knee jerking in this thread after last night's result, it is something that I have been complaining about for several years now and it involves away goals counting for double when scored in extra time.

Put short, to me it's always been a nonsense, if two teams play each other and only the second leg can go to extra time, it simply is not right or even that away goals count double when scored in extra time. If you get to extra time in a 2 legged Champions League or Europa League tie, both sides have had the same time and opportunity to score away goals at the end of 90 minutes in both games. So the end of 90 minutes in the second leg should be the end of away goals scored counting double.

That rule has bugged me for years, it's always seemed completely wrong and imbalanced
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Lol I did not realise, just watched Simeone's press conference, he was pretty decent to be fair, looked like a man who was more than a little shocked who knew he'd got away with one big time tonight to be honest and tried to talk it up a bit, but he knew alright.

He actually completely agreed with me, he said that even though it had benefited them tonight and might not in the future, he too has believed for a long time that the rule on away goals should be changed and the clubs and managers needs to discuss that with UEFA

He said "We had an extra 30 minutes to score an away goal that Liverpool didn't have and that isn't fair to Liverpool"
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

It's a funny one, plenty of people critique it.

But Atletico (not that they tried too hard to score) didn't get 120 mins of home advantage.

Perhaps the fairest resolution, is to scrap extra-time and go straight to penalties ?

Then no one has an extra 30 mins of home advantage, so no away goals counting in extra time naturally.

Whilst the home second leg side only get the advantage of having the shootout at their ground.
    Which isn't much of an advantage imo, the pressure seems equal enough in a penalty shootout.

Diego saying we they had an extra 30 minutes for away goals to count. ......even he's saying thats not fair....Respect to him for that........

As i've always said .....Klopp is not great at fixing things if the plan is going wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Diego saying we they had an extra 30 minutes for away goals to count. ......even he's saying thats not fair....Respect to him for that........

As i've always said .....Klopp is not great at fixing things if the plan is going wrong!
    Yeah and many teams are,. name a manager that would over come 2 goalkeeper errors? you do realize we completely bossed the game last time?. And you want to blame Klopp for it? what should he have done differently?
    Leader of all..master of none..

I don't understand how it works.. was it active last night? As far as I was aware, when they scored to make it 2-1, we would still go through with a single goal.
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

No we needed 2 after that.
    Agree with CC, extra time should be scrapped. Across the board too, there cant be many teams/managers who'd rather play another 30 mins, at this stage of the season too when fatigue and fixture congestion is also a factor.
    It would be an issue if it's one legged but over 2 legs both sides have 90 mins each at home so theres no need for the additional 30 mins.
    Last edited by teesred; 12th March 2020 at 11:00 AM.

It doesn’t make mathematical sense though. If they scored two would we have needed five?

May as well just walk off at that point

Sorry nineteen, knee jerking thread in my opinion. We had the opportunity to put the game to bed during the 90 minutes. We couldn’t capitalise on our decent overall performance.

We had an extra 30 minutes at home to win the tie too, even if they had an extra 30 minutes to score an away goal. Shit rule nonetheless.

You could say the same that if we draw in the first leg and either of the teams win in the second leg they go through. Unfair advantage for those playing at home in the second leg.

Make it that both legs have to be won outright rather than allowing a draw in the first. Go to penalties in the first leg if you draw and same with the second leg.

You could just scrap the whole leg system, but UEFA would miss out on revenue.