Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England team/squad for the Euros

England team/squad for the Euros

Something of an injury crisis looming for Southgate with strikers and a real lack of quality centre backs other than our very own Joe Gomez

Kane isn't expected back to mid April, but it might be longer and he must be considered a doubt for the Euros. Rashford has a double back fracture which will take time and very careful management to help the promising young striker to recover fully and properly, so he must also be considered a doubt.

What other good strikers are there who Southgate could call on? Abrams needs a lot of work still and if Lampard's comments after Chelsea's latest defeat are anything to go by it seems certain Chelsea are looking to add a more seasoned striker to their ranks in the current transfer window, which could mean fewer starts and opportunities for Abrams to develop, with the London outfit allegedly interested in long term Klopp target Timo Werner and Dembele, the former not likely to be on the market in this window due to RB Leipzig's continuing involvement in this season's Champions League.

In fact there are issues in all areas for Southgate to solve, most neutrals would seemingly prefer Burnley's Pope in the England goal in place of the inconsistent Pickford of Everton

At centre back Liverpool's Gomez has been outstanding, but there is little other quality out there to choose from and Southgate favourite Maguire is flattering to deceive, could Tomori's continued playing time see him move ahead of United's limited captain? Ideally Southgate will surely be looking for a quick defender capable of front foot defending, of the possible Maguire replacements there aren't too many of those playing in the English league

Right back is surely nailed down by Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold, with Trippier possibly being in the squad too and Walker making up the numbers as an emergency CB and a RB to use as a sub to try and see games out, as though he's good defensively and very quick, he is sorely lacking the creative ability and distribution required for a top class full back in a 433

At LB Chilwell's form has dipped considerably of late and his defensive ability is highly questionable, so it is perhaps time for Southgate to give a call up to highly rated and sought after English left back Max Clark currently plying his trade with Vitesse Arnhem

Midfield too has it's own problems, beyond Henderson and Oxlade-Chamberlain England are desperately short of seasoned quality and experience of the very biggest games in that area, and after a recent string of brilliant performances Henderson is unquestionably the man to captain England and operate in the No6 role in Southgate's midfield three, with the improving, but very raw and inexperienced Rice likely included as back up for that role. Making a Liverpool quartet with great understanding of each other and the 433 system by employing Oxlade-Chamberlain as the No8 at RCM would seem to make a lot of sense, the question then is who to employ as the No8 at LCM? My pick if he recuperates well from his injury would be Chelsea's Loftus-Cheek, Barkley has performed well in that role for England, after those two the options are very sparse, there are quite a few talented players who are all very much square pegs for round holes, Grealish, Maddison and Mount to name three.

The team I've come up with so far has numerous questions marks still, some as a result of injuries, others as a result of the need for greater quality in the most recent performers position

Pope

TAA Gomez ?????? ??????

Oxlade Henderson(C) Loftus-Cheek

Sancho ????????? Sterling
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Realistically, as long as Harry Kane isn't in plaster then he'll be starting up front for England at the Euros.

I don't think England's options are nearly as paltry as you'd have us believe there Nineteen (although there are obvious areas of weakness in terms of what's available), he's my two-penneth:

Keepers
    Pickford
    Pope
    Dean Henderson

Right Backs
    Alexander-Arnold
    Wan-Bissaka
    Trippier
    James

Left Backs
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    Rose

Centre Backs
    Gomez
    Maguire
    Stones
    Mings
    Tomori
    Walker
    Tarkowski
    Keane

Centre Midfield
    Jordan Henderson
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Rice
    Winks
    Mount
    Alli
    Dier
    Barkley
    Mount
    Maddison
    Grealish
    Ward-Prowse
    Loftus-Cheek*

Outside Forwards
    Sterling
    Sancho
    Hudson-Odoi
    Rashford*
    Redmond
    McNeil
    Barnes
    Nelson

Strikers
    Kane*
    Abraham
    Ings
    Wilson
    Vardy(?)
    Brewster (if he bangs them in for the rest of the season at Swansea...)

*If fit

Quote Originally Posted by Clungeman View Post
    Realistically, as long as Harry Kane isn't in plaster then he'll be starting up front for England at the Euros.

I don't think England's options are nearly as paltry as you'd have us believe there Nineteen (although there are obvious areas of weakness in terms of what's available), he's my two-penneth:

Keepers
    Pickford
    Pope
    Dean Henderson

Right Backs
    Alexander-Arnold
    Wan-Bissaka
    Trippier
    James

Left Backs
    Chilwell
    Shaw
    Rose

Centre Backs
    Gomez
    Maguire
    Stones
    Mings
    Tomori
    Walker
    Tarkowski
    Keane

Centre Midfield
    Jordan Henderson
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Rice

Winks
    Mount
    Alli
    Dier
    Barkley
    Mount
    Maddison
    Grealish
    Ward-Prowse
    Loftus-Cheek*

Outside Forwards
    Sterling
    Sancho
    Hudson-Odoi
    Rashford*

Redmond
    McNeil
    Barnes
    Nelson

Strikers
    Kane*
    Abraham
    Ings

Wilson
    Vardy(?)
    Brewster (if he bangs them in for the rest of the season at Swansea...)

*If fit
    In terms of who is a really good fit or good enough in a 433 in a team with aspirations of winning the tournament in bold

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    In terms of who is a really good fit or good enough in a 433 in a team with aspirations of winning the tournament in bold
    I'd be interested to know which nations (aside from France) that you think have a better / deeper / more balanced squad than England at the moment.

England have a few issues imo

Who partners Gomez tarko/dunk maybe ?
    Maguires move hasnt really cost Leicester nor done a whole lot for manu.

Who partners Hendo in cm? A real problem imo for ye and maybe a case of putting Trent in midfield and playing another rb at rb.

Sterling & Kane whilst great little players in their own right dont strike me as having the mentality for the big pressure on the big stage. But there's no way Garth is gonna drop either as they are big brand players in the pl. I'd have Rashford & Ings/Vardy.
    Then again I'd have fooked sterling off indefinitely after the Gomez debacle.

Who gives a fuck, it's England, leave the cockneys worry about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    Exactly. A shit show media circus.
    It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    + 1
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    England have a few issues imo

Who partners Gomez tarko/dunk maybe ?
    Maguires move hasnt really cost Leicester nor done a whole lot for manu.

Who partners Hendo in cm? A real problem imo for ye and maybe a case of putting Trent in midfield and playing another rb at rb.

Sterling & Kane whilst great little players in their own right dont strike me as having the mentality for the big pressure on the big stage. But there's no way Garth is gonna drop either as they are big brand players in the pl. I'd have Rashford & Ings/Vardy.
    Then again I'd have fooked sterling off indefinitely after the Gomez debacle.
    Lol you're absolutely obsessed with 4231, England have been playing 433 for quite a while now so it's Hendo at No6 Ox as No8 at RCM Loftus-Cheek as No8 at LCM if fit

Apart from Gomez they don't have great quality at CB, I think Maguire's a decent player, but I don't think he's great on the deck against top players or quick enough or a great leader or organiser, but none of the potentials to replace him are any better. RB is strong with Trent, James and Trippier, LB ok with Rose if fit, not the best going forward, but then we are really spoilt in that respect , maybe he'll be a bit deeper and give Fathead more protection so Trent can bomb on loads, Maguire's not that bad as long as he always has help either side of him

Lots of square pegs in midfield, Mount, Grealish, Maddison, Winks, Smelly Fanny etc, none of them are No8's for me and Dier I don't rate at all at No6, too slow, too ponderous, incredibly limited range and variety of passes and no drive or combative edge to him he's the new Geoff Thomas who only got anywhere near an England shirt because he's at Spurs

Wat u on about !!!

433 or 4231 either way (pick any formation you like) you need someone to play alongside Hendo.

Ox is a good attacking option and does his bit defensively - injuries aside. But otherwise it looks a pretty poorly balanced midfield. Whose going to sort it out ?
    Trents a top defender, makes good decisions and hes kdb quality with the ball and a better engine and mentality. The boy wonder never strops.

Pope/Hendo2- I like Pope
    Wanbiss/James Gomez LCD Chilwell/Rose
    Trent Hendo Ox
    Vardy Ings Rashford
    LCD is Dunk

You trying to build a fookin team of MEN !! MMMMMEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNN to represent the country ffs not a whose who of sky hyped media darlings.
    Wanbiss has a dirty streak. A lfc midfield and a similar ish setup in attack albeit with lesser excellence players. If rashford ain't up to the task of being a dog he can fuck off too
    Last edited by CCTV; 20th January 2020 at 05:38 PM.