Page 22 of 113 FirstFirst ... 121516171819202122232425262728293272 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Manchester United

Just seen this ,here are some of my choices.

Man-united
    Man-city (their fans are toxic)
    Everton
    Chelsea
    West-ham.(they were ok at one point,but in the last 2/3 seasons I have hated they way they have acted)
    Barca
    Real Madrid
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    They are now doing the makers of Football Manager for using their clubs name, how embarrassing and what a horrible shithouse of a club.
    Sounds like a club with some thinly-veiled financial issues.

Diddums.

Hope they're stuck with the Glazers for a long while yet.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

I get what you are saying BUT under the Glazers 15 years they have managed to amass

5 League Titles
    1x FA Cup
    4x League Cup
    1x Champions League
    1x Europa League
    1x FiFA World Club
    6x Charity Shield

That’s around 19 trophies tbf.

They will have gone 8 years without the title. Easily be a decade as they are not winning it in the next 2 either. 10 years without a major trophy. Happy days and long may it continue.

Yes under normal, non covid, circumstances this close season would be telling for them in terms of how downward their trajectory is.

It sounds as though they will be spending big yet again in order to catch up. But if things don’t get going as they’d wish are they going to sack OGS and bring another big name manager in who wants to clear out the dead wood? That would be a pattern developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I get what you are saying BUT under the Glazers 15 years they have managed to amass

5 League Titles
    1x FA Cup
    4x League Cup
    1x Champions League
    1x Europa League
    1x FiFA World Club
    6x Charity Shield

That’s around 19 trophies tbf.
    I think this chap called Alex Ferguson might have something to do with that

Yes indeed - a clear indicator that team management is most often the biggest factor in success.

Just look at us and Klopp. But the scum still have taken...

1x FA Cup
    1x League Cup
    1x Europa League
    2x Charity Shield

... since Fergie left in 2013.

They have invested plenty of cash but haven’t found that elixir. Just like us In many ways after Kenny left and the magic formula was lost. Things can change for them fast though - even with the Glazers. They have the means

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    They have invested plenty of cash but haven’t found that elixir. Just like us In many ways after Kenny left and the magic formula was lost. Things can change for them fast though - even with the Glazers. They have the means
    Undoubtedly, they can and they do.

One top appointment (let's say they appointed Nagelsmann) and a couple of good bits of recruitment and they get a Top Four finish, which I always view as a springboard to better things. I can't stand "4th is nothing" talk as it opens your transfer window door that much wider and can help you "stay afloat" when it comes to being regarded as a respectable outfit. Two or three Top Four finishes in a row open the door a little more and so on. Hell, Chelsea slipped up / failed to pull away this season to the extent that United could nick 4th spot yet this season around, so they aren't "down and out".

However with the "Arms Race" always ongoing, I feel that if they had a few seasons on the spin outside the Top Four, it could become really difficult for them.

We're excellent, City are excellent, Leicester and Chelsea have the potential to be very good, Arsenal and Tottenham will try hard to claw back and Newcastle could be about to enter the party. Provided ourselves and City remain top sides for a couple more seasons yet, it becomes very hard for those sides around us (potentially 6 sides gunning for 3rd and 4th) to solidify a position.

Which would buy us time to match them / get ahead of them in the "Leagues won" stakes as well as reaching a stage where we are regularly raking in a comparable amount of money (or more) to solidify yet further.

They'll probably never become what Spurs were or what Everton are - but it's nice to dream
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Hoping Spurs can conjure up something in the first game back.

A lack of Champion's League football next season would have some impact, as would a 30% drop in sponsorship from Adidas if things pan out that way.

Combine those factors (if things "go to plan") with the huge wages they're paying and they're bound to begin to feel the squeeze a little bit.