Page 23 of 113 FirstFirst ... 131617181920212223242526272829303373 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Manchester United

It's vital they don't make it into the CL.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    It's vital they don't make it into the CL.
    7th
    4th
    5th
    6th
    2nd
    6th
    ....?

They got seriously let off the hook the year they won the Europa League, this getting Champion's League football again.

Just want a spell of 3-5 seasons of them not having it. Would hurt them so much.

If City gets banned does the PL give up a place or does everyone shuffle up a spot?
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    If City gets banned does the PL give up a place or does everyone shuffle up a spot?
    Article 4.08 of the UEFA rulebook states: “A club which is not admitted to the competition is replaced by the next best-placed club in the top domestic championship of the same association, provided the new club fulfils the admission criteria.

So presumably 5th spot would get Champion's League football.

Hopefully Wolves - Sheffield United have a horrendous fixture list so probably too big an ask.

Utd have a pretty easy run in. I guess them getting in instead of City would be the slightly lesser of 2 evils at the moment.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Not for me. City have a bottomless pit of wealth anyway, Utd will start to feel the pinch if they can’t get back in to the Champions League for another two or three years. Would rather keep my foot on the throat of the red side of Manchester as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Not for me. City have a bottomless pit of wealth anyway, Utd will start to feel the pinch if they can’t get back in to the Champions League for another two or three years. Would rather keep my foot on the throat of the red side of Manchester as long as possible.
    This.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Exactly. Plus its not as if Pep will ever manage Utd either and if we can stay on top in the league and win/knock them out of the domestic cups/CL then he will be away to PSG or back to Barca. Chelsea to a lesser extent have enough money not to need CL as a revenue stream.

Spurs could be financially in a.bad way too without CL. Might.as well have us, City, Chelsea and a Leicester/Wolves in it every yr with us going furthest obviously.

Of course I'd rather both out but if it was a choice of Utd getting CL or City getting away with a serious ffp breach I'd choose Utd all day long, plus City trying to spend that bottomless pit of money is what's got them in the shit they're in now so they're not likely to spend £300m in a window after this.

Would Pep really stay with a 2 season CL ban?, I'm not sure. De Bruyne has already said he'd have to think about it if the decision is upheld, doubt he'd be the only one. It's clear that's the jewel in the crown for the players as well as the manager, it'll cause all sorts of disruption.

Utd don't seem to miss out on many players due to lack of CL, Sancho will have a decision to make it they do miss out on CL again though, but wouldn't be surprised if they just offer him ridiculous money.

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    Utd have a pretty easy run in. I guess them getting in instead of City would be the slightly lesser of 2 evils at the moment.
    To each their own.

In a World where FFP is properly applied and adhered to (I know, I know....) Man United are the one side that have the potential to become to our League what Bayern Munich is to the Bundesliga, once they get their act together and get their "club culture" into a more stream-lined, intelligent Modus Operandi.

That could take time however and the longer they go without success (of ANY sort, people are quick to belittle 4th-placed finishes but they can be a platform) the better for us, especially given the financial potential they have (in the right circumstances) coupled with the size of their stadium and their close proximity to us in terms of total trophies won.

They are very much bottom of my (subjective, admittedly) list of Clubs I am content with seeing do remotely well.

The words "and STAY down" summate my feelings about them rather accurately and I can only hope they eventually become a permanent mid-table club.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay