Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123456789101353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Manchester United

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    If they don't make any significant signings this window, he's gone by the summer.
    Talking of signings, they are being linked with Ogalgo or Slimani on loan for the rest of the season . And we're linked with Mbappe! !

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Talking of signings, they are being linked with Ogalgo or Slimani on loan for the rest of the season . And we're linked with Mbappe! !
    Don’t think they’d trust Solskjaer with more money. Especially if they’re getting rid in the summer.

It would be great for them to return to where they were when I was a kid, when the commentators are talking about the great rivalry and as a kid you're sitting there thinking "What are they on about, they never challenge for anything, how are they a rival" when I was growing up Everton, Forest and Arsenal were our main rivals as far as I saw it, the filthy were nothing, as it should be
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I was only 11/12 when LFC last won the league. lets hope a 11 year old, man-united fan is 60 before they win a tea-cup.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

All the talk basically of Liverpool being shit for 30 year and Utd don't want any of that. Let's see how many European cups they win during their lean spell.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    All the talk basically of Liverpool being shit for 30 year and Utd don't want any of that. Let's see how many European cups they win during their lean spell.
    LFC are European royalty.

United are… not. One of the reasons I like the CL is that history and magic actually count for a lot more there. Ironically that money grabbing tournament is usually a bit more romantic than domestic leagues.

Let's hope this tough spell continues for them. When Fergie left I said it'd take 7-10 years of not winning the PL or CL for it to start impacting them negatively in any sort of sustainable way. It'll take another 7-10 for it to actually stick, if it every actually sticks.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    LFC are European royalty.

United are… not. One of the reasons I like the CL is that history and magic actually count for a lot more there. Ironically that money grabbing tournament is usually a bit more romantic than domestic leagues.

Let's hope this tough spell continues for them. When Fergie left I said it'd take 7-10 years of not winning the PL or CL for it to start impacting them negatively in any sort of sustainable way. It'll take another 7-10 for it to actually stick, if it every actually sticks.
    Well said Bali. Also they are absolutely shitting themselves 😂😂😂😂😂

Man Utd target Ighalo and Slimani

Think that sums it up.

Oh sorry ian darling just noticed you already said this

that sums me up
    Last edited by Kev0909; 25th January 2020 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Man Utd target Ighalo and Slimani

Think that sums it up.

Oh sorry ian darling just noticed you already said this
    You're ok hun 💋💋

I think a lot of their fans and other people in football try to rewrite history in football and conveniently overlook a lot of aspects to their success, but also make things up

Their Edwards, Martin Edwards and Peter Kenyon were a huge part of why they were able to be successful, with new stadiums, billionaire owners at 2 clubs, greater TV money for all teams and other teams having closed the gap on worldwide marketing their power has been greatly diminished, although they are still the most financially powerful club in the league as they can outspend City without breaching FFP. Edwards & Kenyon were light years ahead of the game and every other Premier League club in worldwide marketing deals and partnerships and struck numerous lucrative deals in which they were the only English club in the market at the time, while Moores and Parry were still running LFC like a corner shop. They also ensured they continually used profits to expand their stadium so they'd benefit from far greater match day revenues than any other club and also benefit from hospitality and corporate packages, all that had a massive influence on their ability to be successful.

From 1994 to Abramovich's arrival at Chelsea in 2003 they had a huge financial advantage of every single club in the league, even when Abramovich arrived, they had a huge financial advantage over every other club in the league bar Chelsea and that would continue until 2008 when Sheikh Mansour bought Man City. That advantage enabled them to constantly nick other Premier League teams best players and transfer targets and offer players more lucrative contracts, they still couldn't attract the very best players from around the globe though because of their brand of football and several spurned their advances for this reason and Chelsea for the same reason and neither were talked about or revered as a great team throughout Europe and just 4 Champions League finals and 2 wins in 26 years for the filthy confirms why. (That's the part where 'people' reinvent history, I think Staam and Van Nistlerooy were the only really highly rated players they landed, but not by Europe's other top top clubs at the time, they historically nicked a lot of their best players from other Prem clubs, that every other Prem club wanted but they could outspend.)

In short from 1994-2003 the league had one financial super power that every other team was miles away from being able to compete with financially for the best players - From 2003-2008 They and Chelsea battled it out for the very best available players who would be willing to join them and every other club was miles off being competitive financially, while these 2 escalated transfer fees and wages battling for players that compounded the effect, making it even more expensive for every other premier league team to sign players to build sides that could compete with them - From 2008-present that initially got even worse with Sheikh Mansour's arrival at City, although far greater TV money for all clubs and many belatedly expanding their own worldwide marketing and FFP has closed the gap somewhat as well as the emergence of a lot of more technically gifted players and players being far more professional in their approach to lifestyle and training, if they have a good system, manager and staff a lot of clubs are now able to find players there isn't a lot of competition for, they can develop into top players.

LFC were still miles behind a lot of other clubs but light years behind the filthy, Chelsea and City (and some others) when FSG arrived in 2010 and it took them 3 or 4 years to get that side moving a lot more positively and build thei model as it needed to be, we've achieved our current position by being very astute in the transfer market being only 29th on the net spend list for the past 5 years combined and FSG have closed the financial gap considerably doing all the things the filthy's board did 20 years earlier and we've still some way to go as we need to continue to expand our stadium without diluting the incredible atmosphere and continue making astute signings, including spending the big money on the right players when they are available, be that a proven talent of the right age and profile or a supremely gifted young player for our long term future who can be at the club for 10 years or more where the manager and scouting team believe they really warrant it, to make sure we compete for the very biggest honours with the best brand of football in world football each season to further increase our revenue streams.

If we can do that while the filthy keep floundering there is a very good chance we can become 'the market leader' in several markets the filthy dominated almost entirely in Premier League terms with barely any competition for 20 years and that WILL make a big hole in their finances and see us usurp them financially if we can sustain those things for the next 5-10 years while keeping them well out of it, our usurping them financially and dominating markets they had for themselves for 20 years is the next necessary step in their decline.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”