Page 50 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4043444546474849505152535455565760100 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Manchester United

Loadsamoney needed.

Yet again

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Indeed

After seeing us always able to find a way to win in the premier league I was alarmed at how tough we found it v Napoli - Genk - Salzburg and then sadly Atletico. Lost 3 and drew 1 over those 8 games - yet we won the title with a near 20 point margin.
    We also found it hard against Watford and a number of other teams, even though we were European champions. It's not a linear process

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Loadsamoney needed.

Yet again
    'member coaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    'member coaching?
    Oh I member

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    'member coaching?
    Is that anything to do with mirror training?

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Indeed

After seeing us always able to find a way to win in the premier league I was alarmed at how tough we found it v Napoli - Genk - Salzburg and then sadly Atletico. Lost 3 and drew 1 over those 8 games - yet we won the title with a near 20 point margin.
    If we look at how each English team went out, it's not really that clear cut, just like it wasn't clear cut that the English teams were head and shoulders above all the others last year. Your media just wanted to tug itself silly.

Chelsea were clearly in transition and were demolished by Bayern. No shame in that really. United were comfortably the better side than Sevilla. Didn't watch the Wolves game, but after such a long season you can't say they'd be expected to beat Sevilla. Arsenal were pathetic, but that was before they got their new manager (we played them after). Man City were also comfortably the second best team in the CL after we went out, Pep just went bonkers with his team selection as usual. No shame in being worse than Bayern really.

We lost in a bizzarre match we should have won by 3 against a poor AM team courtesy of a goalkeeper howler.

Don't quite remember what happened to Spurs (besides Gnabry destroying them), but that was again before a manager switch. A team in transition that peaked a few years ago.

It happens.

As for our foray in Europe - I'd venture a guess and say we didn't really take all of those games as seriously as we should have. In the end we won our group and got a really tough draw.

As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle - the PL wasn't super strong last year and it's not super weak this year. Although probably weaker. I mean Leicester almost got CL footie - that's got to demonstrate a certain lack of quality down the table.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Agree Bali...

They have spent something like 800 million in that last 7 years.. How much more do they need?
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    They have spent something like 800 million in that last 7 years.. How much more do they need?
    Alot more, if they want to get back to where they were. I'd like to know how much we had spent, and wasted, in between titles.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Alot more, if they want to get back to where they were. I'd like to know how much we had spent, and wasted, in between titles.
    I often get slated for this, But i dont think the likes of Gerard Houllier was a geat manager for us.For the money he spent.. we only ever challenged for the league once and that was when Thommo was in charge..
    Same with Rodgers.he bought a lot of trash. It was really Suarez who was a kenny signing.. Gerrard who was a home grown and world class that season he was in DM. Sterling who was already here.. Our defence was shocking..and most Rodgers signings were the defenders ie Moreno and Mignolet.

The only 2 decent managers we have had in the last 30 years have been Rafa and Jurgen and you can tell by the standard of players they have purchased.
    Of course we had Dalglish for a year or so. But he never got the chance to prove himself over a longer period.. So we have wasted a of money over the years.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century