Page 163 of 248 FirstFirst ... 63113153156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170173213 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 2478

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Seems like the appropriate thread to post this in.

So Thiago tested positive for COVID, it seems, as the club has just confirmed.
    Hence the reason why he was missing for the game against the Gunners and will likely not feature until mid-October after the international break while he self-isolates.

It doesn't sound like he has any (serious) symptoms such as other afflicted have had, but I suppose in the interest of preventing any spread this was the step they have to take.

Not great news and hopefully no one else tests positive as they've been training together with the other lads.
    The last thing we need is a(n even more) extensive injury list this early in the season with the likes of Hendo and Matip already not available.
    Could be a good thing.....As long as its not seriously affecting his or his Families health........if he can train in isolation maybe it gives him an opportunity to get himself up to Klopp fitness levels?

I doubt whether Thiago is even infectious. The PCR tests have proven to be too sensitive and are causing unwarranted alarm.

For anyone interested, here’s a decent NY Times article explaining why, following the research from I think Oxford university that showed false positives due to the calibration of the test. The PCR test was shown to amplify the presence of pathogen to the extent that dormant fragments of the pathogen appear to be infectious.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.amp.html

Tsimikas tested positive while away on international duty but none of the other Greek players did. Now Thiago.

It seems just as likely to be from dodgy tests as any other explanation.

Premier league positions and title to be decided by points per game if season ends early due to Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Premier league positions and title to be decided by points per game if season ends early due to Covid.
    Pathetic if that happens

"who has the best run of games wins"

even if we won it say after 16 games, it would still feel fake as fuck

Everton fans will be exploding with excitement, up until the point when it looks like we might win it and then they’ll revert to bitter once again.

It would surely have to be played up until Christmas at least? So that all the teams will have played each other once....
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    It would surely have to be played up until Christmas at least? So that all the teams will have played each other once....
    Number of games has yet to be decided
    https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/09/premier-league-to-be-decided-on-points-per-game-if-2020-21-season-ends-early/

Given this scenario that the Premier League will be decided by points per game if season ends early due to Covid it will be interesting to see how clubs now approach every game and perhaps moreso keep an eye on their goal difference.
    I can foresee at least another suspension of the league programme and the chances of the league completing are maybe 50:50.
    Lower league teams as far as I know do not have the same rigorous testing system as the PL and my perception of PL players testing positive seems to emanate from foreign travel.
    Could this mean that all cup competitions may be cancelled? Could international matches be cancelled ?

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Could be a good thing.....As long as its not seriously affecting his or his Families health........if he can train in isolation maybe it gives him an opportunity to get himself up to Klopp fitness levels?
    According to the club he's not symptomatic or is mildly symptomatic.

Which means for all intents and purposes he's as fit as you or I and can probably still train, even though the club would understandably be against it for the time being for fear of making it worse.

I get the sense that he's got the more 'lighter' case of it which means he'll likely be out of the woods sooner rather than later (as opposed to the more serious bouts that people get where you have to go to hospital into a ventilator and get intubated).

The major concern right now as you rightly point out is the risk of infecting his family (if they're not infected yet) or infecting teammates and risking a wider team-wide contamination.

I don't think fitness was ever an issue with him since he had already been playing in Bayern Munich's opening season games and the Internationals with Spain. It was more a case of getting up to speed with our system (which isn't too dissimilar to Bayern's high press style, to be fair).
    It think it's more a case of frustration for him now, because as a new player you really want to hit the ground running and get in sync with your new teammates and get on the same wavelength like Jota seems to be doing.
    That's usually the hardest part of joining a new team - especially from a league abroad as we also saw with Keita and Minamino (to a lesser extent) and probably also explains why Jota settled so quickly.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!