Page 138 of 248 FirstFirst ... 3888128131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145148188238 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2478

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

BBC reporting 55 job cuts at Arsenal saving £2m in wages (about 1% of annual wage bill)… Alternatively it is about 6 weeks of Ozil's wages who hasn't kicked a ball for them since about March.
    Quite worrying if a club like Arsenal feel it necessary to take such actions.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    BBC reporting 55 job cuts at Arsenal saving £2m in wages (about 1% of annual wage bill)… Alternatively it is about 6 weeks of Ozil's wages who hasn't kicked a ball for them since about March.
    Quite worrying if a club like Arsenal feel it necessary to take such actions.
    It's a very worrying time for the Sport. If you're not bank-rolled by a Government or an Oil-associated owner, you're at risk. City, PSG, Chelsea, Real Madrid will all be fine, but it's probably fair to say that almost every other club faces challenges of some sort or other. Some clubs will roll the dice on the back of the idea that everything will eventually be fine so they can hopefully be in a good position (United for example happy to sanction a large bid and big wages for Sancho) while others will try to sell players to reduce the wage bill to try and ensure their club still can function in the future.

Clubs like ourselves with a huge fanbase should ultimately be alright, but the likes of a Brentford or Coventry City or Swindon Town and so on - worrying times without fans.

Larger clubs with big project investments such as Tottenham with their stadium need to play things very, very carefully.

[QUOTE=Insidious;2641939]It's a very worrying time for the Sport. If you're not bank-rolled by a Government or an Oil-associated owner, you're at risk. City, PSG, Chelsea, Real Madrid will all be fine, but it's probably fair to say that almost every other club faces challenges of some sort or other. Some clubs will roll the dice on the back of the idea that everything will eventually be fine so they can hopefully be in a good position (United for example happy to sanction a large bid and big wages for Sancho) while others will try to sell players to reduce the wage bill to try and ensure their club still can function in the future.

Clubs like ourselves with a huge fanbase should ultimately be alright, but the likes of a Brentford or Coventry City or Swindon Town and so on - worrying times without fans.

Larger clubs with big project investments such as Tottenham with their stadium need to play things very, very carefully.[/QU
    Daniel Levy will not spend a penny and will look to offset the debt with selling players. While not taking a pay cut and still remaining the highest paid director in England
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

There are so many shops shut round my way. People begging on the streets more than ever.
    And yet...
    there was that Celtic guy jetting off for a weekend, Pogba testing positive, Usain Bolt also - rich parties!
    Do these people think they are immune or money can save them?
    Other football clubs reporting positive tests.
    Harry Maguire apparently not minding being close to some strangers on a video.
    Just the icing on a CoVid cake.
    Do these people have no sense of responsibility.
    Most people are trying so hard to get there life and livelihoods back to some semblance of normality.
    They only dream of earning in a year (or perhaps a lifetime) what certain footballers earn in a week, and then perhaps relax at a weekend (time permitting) to watch their stars.
    If the stars continue to mess up they are in danger of cancelling the next season - I guess they will not be bothered on their big bucks. Shucks!

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    There are so many shops shut round my way. People begging on the streets more than ever.
    And yet...
    there was that Celtic guy jetting off for a weekend, Pogba testing positive, Usain Bolt also - rich parties!
    Do these people think they are immune or money can save them?
    Other football clubs reporting positive tests.
    Harry Maguire apparently not minding being close to some strangers on a video.
    Just the icing on a CoVid cake.
    Do these people have no sense of responsibility.
    Most people are trying so hard to get there life and livelihoods back to some semblance of normality.
    They only dream of earning in a year (or perhaps a lifetime) what certain footballers earn in a week, and then perhaps relax at a weekend (time permitting) to watch their stars.
    If the stars continue to mess up they are in danger of cancelling the next season - I guess they will not be bothered on their big bucks. Shucks!
    +1

I have completely the opposite view. This lockdown is a disgrace, unnecessary and an imposition by a government that doesn’t know what it’s doing. I’m with the protestors all across Europe and the World today demanding the freedom to live our lives. There is so much scientific opinion against these lockdowns but something strange is going on with global governance, not to mention the absence of enquiry in the media.

For football it is a tragedy that we are going Into the season without fans, playing weird friendlies with piped in sound. People under 65 have more chance of dying in a car accident and should be free to choose if they want to take the risk. People over 65 should also be free to take their own risks too.

They have destroyed the economy, the education of a generation and also the main distraction from Life’s daily misery we have - football. A match isn’t real without the fans. It is a measure of almost nothing. A surreal tribute to what might have been.

Please put pressure on your friends and family to see that Covid is over and we desperately need normal life to return.

If you are convinced by all the noise about the increases in ‘cases’ that we keep getting bombarded with, look at the chart for deaths, which is usually a little bit further down the page. It’s over. This is a farce. We need to move on.

I would have to agree with you Taksin..

All I know is I'm sick to fuck of it. Its ruined 2020, the only good thing this year being our title win was marred by the fucking thing too.
    No gigs,no public events,no holidays (not that I could afford one anyway but hey ho I'll still say it). Deaths are in single figures. It could come again but it does seem( touch wood ) to have had it's fun for now.
    Last edited by teesred; 29th August 2020 at 07:29 PM.

The whole working from home is becoming ridiculous too. Why cant atleast half go back? Footfall on the high street was on its knees anyway but this has compounded it for many local, big and small businesses.
    Its being used as an excuse for some firms to cut costs.

Don't know what it's like in the UK, but things are generally getting back to normal over here. Yes, there are still lockdown rules for some things (restaurants can't let people sit on tables inside yet I think) and you can't sit next to someone in the cinema, but the situation seems to be normalising. For what its worth, a bunch of people even in non-essential jobs are already working in their offices - my landlords are in the software business and they've been at the office for weeks now.

My company is still insisting we keep working from home for a while longer, but they're just being careful.

Schools and kindergartens are open and you're (kind of?) free to travel abroad as well. Cases have spiked since they loosened the noose, but it's not out of control from what I can tell.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non