Page 141 of 248 FirstFirst ... 4191131134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148151191241 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 2478

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Sounds like it might be coming down to Money again. What a fecking surprise.
    Just as a matter of interest, a very close friend of ours has only recently been released from hospital after contracting the virus in March. Spent months in intensive care on a ventilator. Doctors at one stage gave him a 20% chance of survival. He's in his late 50s but very fit, hardly missed a day off work for decades, cycles every day.
    Anyone says there's nothing to this virus is talking out of their arse.
    Redebrek, my friend died of the flu about six years ago. He was a surfer, about 35 yrs old, fit as a fiddle, and he went into hospital in South Africa for a routine operation on his knee. The doctors apologised and said there was a strong flu going round.

No one is saying there is nothing to this flu. What is out of proportion is the response. The other thing about your friend is that he got the disease in March, when it was doing most damage. It's now September and it is no longer doing damage in that way. It's doing no more damage that flu viruses do every year during summer. The same thing will be happening next summer, with or without coronavirus. When are we going to return to normal life?

By the way, my prediction is that within the next two or three years, a significantly worse disease is going to come along. There are cycles to these things and we are due a bad one.

So, what will we do if that happens? I will argue that we carry on and do our best without lockdown, as we have always done throughout history. There are two reasons for me having this opinion, which I will hold despite emotional arguments like redebrek's above;

1) Because its better that heathy people keep going about their business, keeping healthy, taking in sunshine and interacting with other humans.

2) Because I don't believe lockdown has made any difference to the outcome. It may have made things worse, especially for nursing home residents. The whole argument of the lockdown enthusiasts just assumes it has been effective.

As we are on a football forum, I believe we should be able to attend football matches. The hospitals are empty, the disease is absent. The virus is circulating as they always do every year. We need football for all kinds of good reasons. Stop trying to control what we cannot control.

As of October, 12000 fans will be allowed in the stadium..then it will be monitored on a match by match basis. that is great for us, since we miss the fans more than other clubs (I know other clubs will disagree with that, but we know). first match I think is Sheffield Utd, but not 100% sure it's that one.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    As of October, 12000 fans will be allowed in the stadium..then it will be monitored on a match by match basis. that is great for us, since we miss the fans more than other clubs (I know other clubs will disagree with that, but we know). first match I think is Sheffield Utd, but not 100% sure it's that one.
    All season tickets are on hold for this season, as are fan cards with credits which will be carried over until next season.
    It could be a free for all for tickets this season if it gets the go ahead for full Studiums towards the end of the season.
    Apparently the club is losing £3 million for every home game without fans.

Nearly 3k new cases recorded in a day in UK

shooting backup, get in the pubs quick before they close

I thought the numbers lagged at the weekend too?

Deaths still only down at 2 though

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Deaths still only down at 2 though
    This is the big crux now. Is it a second wave but not as deadly? It certainly seems so to me.
    I saw this thing on Facebook recently where a guy was asking what are we actually waiting for? Zero cases? Zero deaths? What's the end point for a return to normal life? There doesn't seem to be an answer.

I have family in Melbourne. They've had 6 weeks of strict lockdown, curfew etc. 6 weeks! (when standard quarantine is 10-14 days) and now they've just extended it by another 2 weeks because cases aren't dropping.

Because if you do something and it doesn't work just keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    I have family in Melbourne. They've had 6 weeks of strict lockdown, curfew etc. 6 weeks! (when standard quarantine is 10-14 days) and now they've just extended it by another 2 weeks because cases aren't dropping.

Because if you do something and it doesn't work just keep doing it.
    The Man City Modus Operandi for the full-back position.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    This is the big crux now. Is it a second wave but not as deadly? It certainly seems so to me.
    I saw this thing on Facebook recently where a guy was asking what are we actually waiting for? Zero cases? Zero deaths? What's the end point for a return to normal life? There doesn't seem to be an answer.
    Alexander has got it all worked out with his roadmaps/slides on the go.

A strong leader not much chance he will u turn on anything he has shown us all this 🤣