Page 146 of 248 FirstFirst ... 4696136139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153156196246 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 2478

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Enjoy your graphs.
    Hopefully none of your friends or family die and are just recorded as a seasonal statistic.
    This is the worst kind of sarcastic dialogue around Covid. It's happening all the time and is a sad reflection of the new moralising that surrounds this disease. In any other bad flu season you might say the same thing to me genuinely, with good wishes, but now it indicates you think I may be one of these terrible people who doesn't care about people dying. And it ducks the issue - this lockdown policy is tragic in itself and we know it is causing death for other reasons. It is also obviously destroying the economy, which will bring other suffering on a scale that we have yet to face up to. We can have a meaningful discussion about that without insinuating I care about my or anyone else's family less than other people do.

All seasonal respiratory viruses are new. by the way. And this one is probably 80% the same as previous coronaviruses, which explains some of the immunity that has already been displayed, including by the elderly population.

And our football season is already abated. Empty stadiums are a farce. If a young person has the sense, once the hospitals are empty, to realise they are almost entirely safe and the fear they are overcoming is part of deliberate propaganda, they have my full support. I understand that people disagree with me about this - usually its two camps; those who are more nervous about the disease and those who think we need to behave a certain way to achieve a bigger goal. Those views are fine to hold as far as I'm concerned but, in the absence of any scientific proof that what we are doing is making any difference, they are not morally superior positions to take. Everyone is guessing about theoretical risk but talking as if they understand. And they are taking away our basic rights as they do so, an act that justifies resistance in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    This is the worst kind of sarcastic dialogue around Covid. It's happening all the time and is a sad reflection of the new moralising that surrounds this disease. In any other bad flu season you might say the same thing to me genuinely, with good wishes, but now it indicates you think I may be one of these terrible people who doesn't care about people dying. And it ducks the issue - this lockdown policy is tragic in itself and we know it is causing death for other reasons. It is also obviously destroying the economy, which will bring other suffering on a scale that we have yet to face up to. We can have a meaningful discussion about that without insinuating I care about my or anyone else's family less than other people do.

All seasonal respiratory viruses are new. by the way. And this one is probably 80% the same as previous coronaviruses, which explains some of the immunity that has already been displayed, including by the elderly population.

And our football season is already abated. Empty stadiums are a farce. If a young person has the sense, once the hospitals are empty, to realise they are almost entirely safe and the fear they are overcoming is part of deliberate propaganda, they have my full support. I understand that people disagree with me about this - usually its two camps; those who are more nervous about the disease and those who think we need to behave a certain way to achieve a bigger goal. Those views are fine to hold as far as I'm concerned but, in the absence of any scientific proof that what we are doing is making any difference, they are not morally superior positions to take. Everyone is guessing about theoretical risk but talking as if they understand. And they are taking away our basic rights as they do so, an act that justifies resistance in my opinion.
    Dear Taksin,
    I hate sarcasm.
    It was not meant as such and I am sorry if it came across that way.
    I am not trying to moralise.
    My point was more at your 'data analysis world' and not the realism that we are dealing with.
    I notice that you are not in either of the usual 2 camps you mention so there is at least a 3rd camp for yourself.
    I think there are many more.
    My camp is one in which I need to trust the government and the world health experts but am struggling.
    Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post

My camp is one in which I need to trust the government and the world health experts but am struggling.
    That’s the second camp. You are not personally anxious about dying but you think the advice needs to be followed for the greater good.

I just saw a couple shout at their 3 yr old child in Sainsbury’s because ‘she’s touching everything’. It’s now hard to know what exactly they were anxious about - camp one or camp two - but I think their reaction is insane. So much happening now seems insane to me. I have a choice to go along with it - which I mostly do - or point out what I see.

Best wishes SR

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    That’s the second camp. You are not personally anxious about dying but you think the advice needs to be followed for the greater good.

I just saw a couple shout at their 3 yr old child in Sainsbury’s because ‘she’s touching everything’. It’s now hard to know what exactly they were anxious about - camp one or camp two - but I think their reaction is insane. So much happening now seems insane to me. I have a choice to go along with it - which I mostly do - or point out what I see.

Best wishes SR
    Not going to get in a big argument over this Taksin
    two camps; those who are more nervous about the disease and those who think we need to behave a certain way to achieve a bigger goal.
    I do not belong in your 2nd camp, I do not belong in any of your camps but if I take your definitions on and had to reside in either then probably closer to the 1st and you definitely belong in your 2nd camp.

No mate, you miss the point. I think this whole policy is insane and should be ended.

What I said was there are two kinds of respectable views who oppose me. I’m sorry if you feel pigeonholed by the word ‘camp’. But most people want to respect and keep to these measures, which I believe give us the illusion of control without changing anything positively, and are motivated by two main concerns. You are one of those people as far as I can see.

I’ve talked to many people about this and asked them what they believe and why they support the government. It doesn’t take much insight to realise that many people are personally terrified of dying from Covid, and that many other people aren’t personally anxious but still think we need to keep up the measures to protect others.

So by definition I don’t belong in either camp. I’m with the other people who think this is mad or at least think it’s time to move on.

2nd wave inc

It's ok, no more groups of 6 will fix things

right?

Ha-

Ha

HA

i'm glad wearing masks are working init

An expert explains how scientists don't believe Ferguson's model is not credible, why there almost certainly won't be a second wave, why the rise in cases is bogus, and how the government being wedded to these false beliefs is causing a huge amount of damage.
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

The shit will hit the fan at the end of October, when the furlough scheme ends. Pubs, travel and entertainment industry will be well and truly fucked .
    And anyone not asked to go back to work yet, should be very worried.
    Football was always a release for the working man but even that has been taken away.

Speaking as someone in their 60s, who's seen a very close friend suffer VERY BADLY from this in March, I don't have a clue what to think.
    I and my family always wear masks around people, try to keep 2 metres away.
    We go shopping rarely, aiming to visit any shops when they're near enough empty.
    It's a shambles, people don't know what to expect.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief