Page 150 of 248 FirstFirst ... 50100140143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157160200 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 2478

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Taksin mate, you're a breath of fresh air. Well done, I love reading your posts.
    Roll on the Christmas LFC Online awards. XXxX
    Thank fuck he's not foreign! Wouldn't want more competition in that category...
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    He is forn..... He's English!
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Haha... fair dinkum..

Either way - and as you say - breath of fresh air... the points are all valid. This pandemic has been used as a tool by most governments to grab back powers they have lost and to gain others they never had.

Fernackin wernackers
    Last edited by Steveo; 15th September 2020 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks for the compliments, pal, but I’m half Scottish so don’t appreciate being called a Sassenach

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Thanks for the compliments, pal, but I’m half Scottish so don’t appreciate being called a Sassenach

Duilich mo chara. XXxX
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Joe Public is not allowed to do what he wants to do. Things like watch football. And now even gather in a group of seven people.

I have my own conspiracy theories as to why this is happening but it is a decision of our government that is based at least on a portion of false science. Dr Mike Yeadon says that proper scientists don't take the Ferguson model seriously and yet we have crafted our policy around it. I believe he and Fauci belong in jail for what they've done - look at Fauci's vested interests. These figures (chosen scientific advisors to government) always have vested interests as they become priest-like figures who can secure enormous grants to save the world and hand down decrees. We should be suspicious of them rather than 'listen to the scientists'. In the mean time the world has been trashed by their policies. Have you seen footage of New York recently?

The disease came and went. It did that despite lockdown. It may have been made worse by lockdown - see the nursing homes. Many other things were made worse by lockdown. It may come again this winter but I'm expecting that it won't. Another respiratory disease will kill tens of thousands though - they always do, but lockdown has made us more unhealthy so less resistant this year.

It will take an enquiry to judge (if a fair judgement could ever be made now) whether the figures for deaths have been manipulated. Thailand reported 58 deaths from Covid and they were one of the only countries not to financially incentivise hospitals for taking in Covid patients. Many hospitals were going bankrupt this year (in countries with private healthcare) as they couldn't see other patients. They were sending staff home. There was a report from Germany that hospitals were putting patients on ventilators for Covid funding pathways, patients who would never be treated that way normally - it meant that doctors were put in the position of having to commit homicide. There are all kinds of distortions like these that could go down as 'fake news' as you put it.

I think we should be free to function as a society. If we are scared, we can isolate. But almost no one is dying so I am no longer scared for my vulnerable friends and family. We need to lower the anxiety, not crank it up to make people comply. Lord Sumption has been making the case for being free to choose and take risks. I agree with him fully. I think the big story from this year will not be the disease so much as it is the governmental tyranny that the disease has created an excuse for. I think it's going to get worse.
    Indonesia going in lockdown again .

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    "comin' over 'ere, making sensible and polite posts on our forums"
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

and in a late reply to dicko, Brazil still has a lower death rate per million of population than Britain, and that is without a lockdown.
    Hi Taksin,
    Sweden appears to have a very similar death rate per million of population v England/UK. (1 in about 1500)
    One had lockdown the other did not.
    Sweden death rate in this regard also seems higher than its neighbouring countries.
    What do you predict will happen to this comparison over the next year for example.
    You mention Dr Mike Yeadon - why should we listen to him above others.
    My favourite trusted virologist is Dr Chris Smith who appears on BBC fairly regularly. Do you discount his views?

(*sigh*)
    sometimes.....some things in life are just needlessly so sooo painful....

Information that is otherwise easy to get from the internet with a simple Google search:-
    (.....and equally easy to distort and misrepresent for anyone who doesn't know any better)

As of September 16th, 2020 :-

Brazil Coronavirus death rates per million - 635.51
    United Kingdom deaths per million - 626.63

Brazil total confirmed deaths - 133,119 deaths
    United Kingdom total confirmed deaths - 41,664 deaths

Also pertinent - Population of Brazil :- 209.47 Million
    Population of the United Kingdom :- 66.49 Million

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

I don't know...

Attempting to unfavorably compare one's country's (admittedly mismanaged and bungled in large parts) own COVID-19 situation to another country that has otherwise unquestionably and objectively horridly mismanaged their own COVID-19 situation (to the extent that they have the 2nd only to the United States in terms of total confirmed COVID-19 deaths and have the 3rd highest daily increase as of yesterday (after the US and India)), doesn't seem, to me anyway,...to be the most adept or prudent way of making a case for one's argument in favour of doing what they (Brazil) did to deal with it....

But what do I know?
    I'm not a medical expert.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

I actually did check the Brazil statistics at the time, CD, and the number was still below the UK at that point. They are still similar, roughly equivalent and that fact is relevant to the question Dicko asked quite some time before you entered the debate. I tried at the time to post the graph, which was indeed easily available but this website wouldn't accept the format.

The rest of your post I don't understand - I have no interest in painting the UK as favourable or unfavourable in the way you seem to imagine I'm inclined to do. The Swedish policy, strategy, philosophy, scientific expertise and decision making makes it hard to argue that the lockdown we had here in Britain made any positive difference to the death rate. I don't believe the claims of success made by the British government or by Imperial college are scientifically valid.

I'm not sure if you think the Brazil strategy was bungled or the UK one, but Brazil is described as having no lockdown, which is interesting as Dicko was under the impression that things were very bad there when they are actually comparable to the UK experience in terms of deaths.

Germany on the other hand has had a death rate comparable to a 'mild flu season', as have many other places. I am very interested in the reasons for these differences but very few in the media are capable of looking beyond 'testing' and 'distancing', which I believe to be minor variables.