Page 171 of 248 FirstFirst ... 71121161164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178181221 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2478

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Well said Taksin, the whole novel aspect has been pushed a bit too far. People who haven't been infected with the virus have been found to have t-cell immunity.
    I think this might explain the differing viewpoint between yourself and CD earlier.
    His 70-90% herd immunity figure around antibodies, whereas your iirc say 15-25% around antibodies would be coupled with those who have a t-cell reaction/immunity to the virus having had very little symptoms and those who had less again as their t-cells were able to act on the virus from the outset (preexisting immunity).

On top of the deaths expected from cancer services being withdrawn, heart disease etc, there'll be one hell of an economic legacy.
    Read a few pieces quoting the UN talking about a potential 250million death rate from famine associated with failing to harvest crops. This was an issue in italy and elsewhere, how without the systems in place farmers left or filled crops to rot as there was no means of processing them.
    I believe there have been active measures taken so hopefully that 250 million (largely black sub-saharans) can be revised down radically.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post

On top of the deaths expected from cancer services being withdrawn, heart disease etc, there'll be one hell of an economic legacy.
    Read a few pieces quoting the UN talking about a potential 250million death rate from famine associated with failing to harvest crops. This was an issue in italy and elsewhere, how without the systems in place farmers left or filled crops to rot as there was no means of processing them.
    Yes the same thing has been happening in the US with land fills of crops as distribution systems were down. This lead to farmers going bust. The economic people I listen to say we are going to see food prices going up rapidly this year and next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I think this might explain the differing viewpoint between yourself and CD earlier.
    His 70-90% herd immunity figure around antibodies, whereas your iirc say 15-25% around antibodies would be coupled with those who have a t-cell reaction/immunity to the virus having had very little symptoms and those who had less again as their t-cells were able to act on the virus from the outset (preexisting immunity).
    The Stanford study showed New York had a 20% immunity profile after the curve had descended. So that was considered enough to have created herd immunity by certain immunologists.

There are, as you say, problems with this as we know that the antibody tests often don't show up positives in those who have recovered. I mention the German study above that showed only 80% (if I recall) of 184 patients who had recovered from covid had antibodies (they were hospitalised and tested positive). Thats so far as the test was working. So yes, T cells is one explanation. I have had three patients who definitely had covid badly whose tests for antibodies were negative. In my opinion they are now immune almost certainly but the nurse who gave them the test said 'your life is still in danger', a very depressing thing to say as they all have high anxiety.

One explanation for the very wide ranging immunity to this virus is that we have pre-existing immunity to previous coronaviruses (again, undermining the 'new disease' idea). This corona virus contains about 80% of the footprint of the previous one. Its not all new. The way our immune system works is to learn from the last one.

The reason I am confident that our footballers are almost certainly safe, not to mention Donald Trump, is because the potency of this virus has been greatly exaggerated as far as I can tell. Most immune systems deal with it well, without even producing symptoms.
    Last edited by Taksin; 7th October 2020 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Yes the same thing has been happening in the US with land fills of crops as distribution systems were down. This lead to farmers going bust. The economic people I listen to say we are going to see food prices going up rapidly this year and next year.
    In the us seen them plowing through crops and leaving them to rot in the field, at least providing some nutrients for the soil, the US is a large provider of food aid.

Have seen measures being taken over here to try and save the harvests as much as possible. So hopefully elsewhere too and the projected death toll is reduced, as projection models seem to be generally overestimating negative outcomes and fears.

Trying to save things is the long and short of it. The problem is, we didn’t need to get into this situation and we are still in it!

I also think the government is about to lose its capacity to save things as they have made such a mess of some of their tools - like the currency and the treasury market. That’s what happens in an economic crisis and that’s when people lose faith in the government.

The Stanford study showed New York had a 20% immunity profile after the curve had descended. So that was considered enough to have created herd immunity by certain immunologists.

There are, as you say, problems with this as we know that the antibody tests often don't show up positives in those who have recovered. I mention the German study above that showed only 80% (if I recall) of 184 patients who had recovered from covid had antibodies (they were hospitalised and tested positive). Thats so far as the test was working. So yes, T cells is one explanation. I have had three patients who definitely had covid badly whose tests for antibodies were negative. In my opinion they are now immune almost certainly but the nurse who gave them the test said 'your life is still in danger', a very depressing thing to say as they all have high anxiety.

One explanation for the very wide ranging immunity to this virus is that we have pre-existing immunity to previous coronaviruses (again, undermining the 'new disease' idea). This corona virus contains about 80% of the footprint of the previous one. Its not all new. The way our immune system works is to learn from the last one.

The reason I am confident that our footballers are almost certainly safe, not to mention Donald Trump, is because the potency of this virus has been greatly exaggerated as far as I can tell. Most immune systems deal with it well, without even producing symptoms.
    Seen pieces where they tested peoples blood who hadn't contracted covid in labs and they found upto 50% of people have had pre-existing t-cell immunity/reactions. Lowest 20%.

Then in post covid folks the level was much higher.

The viral load where measured has shown a massive decrease in the viral load in people. Plus treatments have become more effective and less lethal.

I don't know about over in England, Scotland and Wales but over here is riddled with it. Unlike the first time Everyone now knows someone that's got Covid.
    Eating out to help out didn't help,but the biggest mistake was allowing students to go back to uni.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I don't know about over in England, Scotland and Wales but over here is riddled with it. Unlike the first time Everyone now knows someone that's got Covid.
    Eating out to help out didn't help,but the biggest mistake was allowing students to go back to uni.
    How many of them are ill, Ian?

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I don't believe government is panicking - they have never been so secure in modern times.

Big business OWNS the media. Big business owns government.. Remember that next time there are calls for a "Humanitarian" war to wage OR a global pandemic.

The media brought us Brexit - The media fuelled WMD claims and the media is spreading global panic over Covid 19. It is those who fund this shit show that need to be exposed
    Agree. It's the media way or reporting and how it influences people that is the issue.
    Make headlines that create hysteria and the objective is on it's way to being won. That's with anything,,brexit,covid or whatever.
    We have never lived in a time where the information we read or use is so mistrustful and it's really quite frightening as now younger generations have access to devices which are basically controlling them and the way they think.
    Everyone has their own agenda.

Most sane and rational people I would imagine are taking the right precautions in terms of covid. Theres a minority who arent but that would/will happen in any situation. I'd guess that we would all be happy to try and live our lives as normal, sacrificing the way we live for 1% seems ridiculous but unfortunately theres nothing we can do about it until some form of end point is agreed upon and reached. Unfortunately also that's down to BJ and his squad.

How many of them are ill, Ian?
    That's the thing mate, not too many .mostly just like a head cold or not showing symptoms at all. I guess the worry is passing it to the older generation. (Well thats what they want you too believe.)