Page 25 of 248 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728293031323575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

It says in that rag that only a minority of club chiefs want that, the people/teams alleged to be infected are ones who have been in contact with sides in or from higher risk areas through Europa and Champions League action, so the Premier League's logical step should be to ask all those clubs to withdraw from those competitions for the protection of the majority of clubs who aren't involved in them and there seems little reason or justification to suspend all games when the alleged cases seem to be restricted to 1 or 2 Champions League and/or Europa League sides and UK Gov medical advice is making no such recommendations
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

"only a minority of teams" asking for the season to be made void.

Ok

1.There is no evidence to support that any club's player or staff member has contracted Coronavirus through participation in the Premier League

2. There is clear evidence that Arsenal staff and players have contracted Coronavirus through participation in European competition.

3.'If' City have players who have self isolated there is clear evidence with the same having happened at Real Madrid that any such players have also contracted Coronavirus through participation in European competition

4. UK Gov advice says there is no reason or need to cancel events or mass gatherings or to close schools etc

5.The clear action needed to be taken by The Premier League to protect all its clubs and the competition is to ask any of the competitions teams playing in European competition to cease their involvement with immediate effect. As their continued involvement in these competition presents a potential safety risk to their players and staff and other Premier League clubs players and staff, whereas playing in the Premier League without any involvement in European competition does not

Season will be suspended anytime. It’s not a matter of if but when. It’s happening everywhere and the pace is quickening.

Quote Originally Posted by 3underpar View Post
    Season will be suspended anytime. It’s not a matter of if but when. It’s happening everywhere and the pace is quickening.
    I agree...they will suspend for 4 weeks after trying playing games without spectators. They can't avoid the legal costs of voiding the PL - not just LFC but all the teams in the lower leagues looking for promotion.

We all know who the teams asking for a postponement of the league are

It is however entirely perverse, the only confirmed case in the premier League and the only cases of players 'allegedly' needing to self isolate have all stemmed from players and staff at those clubs involvement in the Europa League or Champions League, yet they are happy for those competitions to continue and to continue to put their players and staff at risk by continuing their participation in them because they are 'doing well' in those competitions

There are NO confirmed cases of players or staff from any Premier League club having contracted coronavirus or needing to self isolate as a result of participating in Premier League football - there are confirmed cases of this for teams involved in European competition - yet this minority of clubs want to stop the Premier League and continue in European competition - ridiculous and entirely disingenuous

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLFC View Post
    I agree...they will suspend for 4 weeks after trying playing games without spectators. They can't avoid the legal costs of voiding the PL - not just LFC but all the teams in the lower leagues looking for promotion.
    Yep, the lower leagues will have teams in the verge of bankruptcy in weeks without spectators. They don’t get the tv money like the big boys. Read that PL teams only get about a seventh of their revenue from match day spectators. Championship clubs it’s a third, and League One and Two are two thirds of their entire revenue.

I don’t know how they fit it all in with weeks/months of cancelled fixtures. Title is won but relegation and European spots are in play and clubs would rightfully sue if they just stopped the season early and they miss promotion or relegation or CL by a point. Complete mess.

Nineteen I agree with what you’re saying, but you’re missing the bigger picture. There is intensifying pressure behind the scenes politically in practically all countries to shut large crowd events down. In my state of 13 million people there are three confirmed cases. Today the governor shit down all schools for three weeks, college basketball March Madness (huge thing in the States) cancelled, all college sports cancelled, baseball season postponed, hockey postponed, etc., everything getting shut down. The money being lost right now is staggering. The fact that lots of people aren’t positive yet in the UK just means yet, not that it isn’t on the way or being discovered yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 3underpar View Post
    Nineteen I agree with what you’re saying, but you’re missing the bigger picture. There is intensifying pressure behind the scenes politically in practically all countries to shut large crowd events down. In my state of 13 million people there are three confirmed cases. Today the governor shit down all schools for three weeks, college basketball March Madness (huge thing in the States) cancelled, all college sports cancelled, baseball season postponed, hockey postponed, etc., everything getting shut down. The money being lost right now is staggering. The fact that lots of people aren’t positive yet in the UK just means yet, not that it isn’t on the way or being discovered yet.
    My issue is why is there a sudden emergency meeting to potentially suspend Premier League games because Arteta has tested positive for Coronavirus when it is well documented that he contracted it through contact with staff and players in the Europa League and why are we not talking instead about the risk Premier League teams continued participation in European competition poses to spreading the virus and stopping Premier League clubs further participation in European competition. It's just stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    My issue is why is there a sudden emergency meeting to potentially suspend Premier League games because Arteta has tested positive for Coronavirus when it is well documented that he contracted it through contact with staff and players in the Europa League and why are we not talking instead about the risk Premier League teams continued participation in European competition poses to spreading the virus and stopping Premier League clubs further participation in European competition. It's just stupid
    Yeah it’s crazy. At the start of the week there were rumors of everything shutting down over here and I said no way, complete over reaction. Three days later it’s happening and much further than I thought it would be with tons of confirmed cases which we don’t have. I think the League was waiting for a player or two or a head coach to get sick and they would call for a halt. Insurers have been calling all these clubs I’m sure and making them aware of liability issues too. It’s happening very fast.