Page 31 of 248 FirstFirst ... 212425262728293031323334353637384181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    UEFA competitions all suspended...!

All Uefa competitions, including Champions League and Europa League matches due to be played on 17 and 18 March, have been postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Uefa has announced that the competition draws scheduled for 20 March have also been postponed.
    They do need to scrap the Champions League and Europa League for this season, it's been the greatest risk of infection to Premier League teams
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

With due respect 19 you dont know that for sure. They could have picked it up anywhere.
    If they cancel the CL then we cant whinge if domestic leagues are cancelled too.
    Cancelling the euros is the best option as it obviously hasn't begun yet.

They didn't ban Cheltenham because horses can't get it.

They've cancelled the Six Nations now, Wales v Scotland, an hour ago it was definitely going ahead.

This thing changes with the wind. All the forecasts and numbers and projections are just guesswork.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    With due respect 19 you dont know that for sure. They could have picked it up anywhere.
    If they cancel the CL then we cant whinge if domestic leagues are cancelled too.
    Cancelling the euros is the best option as it obviously hasn't begun yet.
    The Euros can't go ahead, that would be ridiculous

whilst we can't know for sure, Arteta and his staff and players feared they may have contracted it through contact with the Olympiacos owner, they were in contact with the Olympiacos players and staff who had been in contact with him earlier, so he is the only person known to have contracted Coronavirus they have been in contact with

Of teams who also have issues, Leicester, Everton and UAE FC, if you trace who played who from Arsenal's first game v Olympiakos, there's a chain that involves all those teams and the filthy, Chelsea and Villa as well

Arsenal played Everton immediately after their first game v Olympiakos

Everton played the filthy and Chelsea

The filthy played UAE FC

UAE FC played Villa

Leicester played Villa

Looking at who has issues there appears to be a very clear link between them all, all of them having played each other or teams who had played Arsenal following their first game v Olympiacos

I said at the time the Olympiacos owner tested positive that all teams who had come into contact with each other who had been in contact with Arsenal or a team who had played Arsenal after their first game v Olympiacos needed to be tested
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    The date given for the restart is most likely to be when the peak infections are so it may not go ahead even then. It's all just guessing from now on.
    There's no chance it starts up again in April. Doubt we'll see anything until June, if at all.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    They do need to scrap the Champions League and Europa League for this season, it's been the greatest risk of infection to Premier League teams
    I would say a greater risk of infection is if you're a millionaire foreign footballer who can fly in your friends and family from anywhere, anytime you want.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by trueandred View Post
    How come Cheltenham wasn’t called off.
    Quote Originally Posted by TorresGoalGoal View Post
    Because it's for the rich
    The cream of these lands.
    Rich and.....

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    There's no chance it starts up again in April. Doubt we'll see anything until June, if at all.
    I hate to say it but this was my initial fear. Let's hope once the 3 weeks pass that games can resume behind closed doors at least, but the wheels are in motion now and a void season is very much on the cards.
    Last edited by Steveo; 13th March 2020 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I hate to say it but this was my initial fear. Let's hope once the 3 weeks pass that game scan resume behind closed dors at leat, but the wheels are in motion now and a void season is very much on the cards.
    I'd like to think voiding the season is the absolute last resort, imagine the repercussions throughout the football league, it's massive.

Common sense says finish the season even if it takes until September. The Euro's won't be happening this year, that's a certainty now, so even if next season doesn't start until October/November it doesnt matter.

Absolute farce of a decision.

Why are shopping malls with their air conditioning units and supermarkets all staying open as there’ll be more people through those doors than most stadiums.

Lower end football suffer the most from this.