Page 38 of 248 FirstFirst ... 283132333435363738394041424344454888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    That sounds about the right time frame, give anyone whose infected but not at detection level yet the chance to go full blown and recover, would stop it spreading further, unfortunately, the UK Gov won't do that as they think it will be too damaging to the economy, but will probably do more damage to the economy by not doing it
    Yes they are being myopic.
    We need to go cold turkey

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    It's not airborne, you cant get it walking past someone in a supermarket (unless they literally sneeze in your mouth). Not to mention the practical implications......where do you buy food from?

They haven't even done that in China, it's not possible, there'd be riots.
    I wouldn't take it for granted it's not airborne, they don't really know a lot about it yet, they're not even asking people to give blood samples so they can test for people who are immune to it, which some people obviously are

Edit: Yes latest research shows it can survive in the air for as long as three hours in aerosols and may also be passed this way, that should always have been obvious, if people are on a cruise ship, confined to their cabin and haven't had contact with quarantined people who were infected, how on earth else does anyone think they got it?
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 14th March 2020 at 03:51 AM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Taking everything into consideration. I cant honestly see how the FA would deny us the league title. Not with the position we are in and the facts its been 30 years since we won the league. It would take some bent FA decisions for that to happen.
    Am sure something will arranged. It seems totally unfair otherwise.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Celtic "should be champions" if the Scottish Premiership season cannot be completed, says manager Neil Lennon.
    If any team has a massive lead that under 'the grounds of probability' no other team could assail and they are well over 3 quarters of the way through the season, of course that team should be crowned Champions

In Italy where there is only 1 point between 1st and 2nd with just over 2 thirds of the season played, I can totally understand a play off between 1st and 2nd in those circumstances, I don't think enough games have been played in Serie A to adjudge Juventus would win that league under 'the grounds of probability'

There could be a situation where theres a cut of time like mid June and teams have to get their fixtures played. even if its 3 games a week. They will have to just like or lump it. We see that in the lower leagues when theres been postponements for weather.
    They sometimes have 4 games in 8 at the end of the season. we just need a month to 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    If any team has a massive lead that under 'the grounds of probability' no other team could assail and they are well over 3 quarters of the way through the season, of course that team should be crowned Champions

In Italy where there is only 1 point between 1st and 2nd with just over 2 thirds of the season played, I can totally understand a play off between 1st and 2nd in those circumstances, I don't think enough games have been played in Serie A to adjudge Juventus would win that league under 'the grounds of probability'
    If there were to be a play off between us and Man-city, we should start with a 19 goal advantage.(saying they win that game in hand)

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    If there were to be a play off between us and Man-city, we should start with a 19 goal advantage.(saying they win that game in hand)
    That won't happen, and we would never ever accept it, there are absolutely no valid grounds for it, you can't ask a team with a minimum of 22 points lead to play off with a team that far behind them, 9 games left and our points total gives us effectively 7 wins and one draw more than them. You can only justify a play off if it's like the Italian league, only just over 2 thirds of the season played and just one point separating the top 2

The premise for becoming League Champions has always been that over the amount of games in a season, you have proven more consistent against all the different styles, tactics, strengths and weaknesses of the opposition teams and played through tough periods with players missing and had to rest players because of other commitments and managed to come out on top

I'm very fair minded, if any other team were in our position, even either filthy team, I would hand on heart say the Premier League has to give it them, there's no way any other team is going to catch them, in our situation there is only one that possibly could, but on the balance of probability, they'd win 8 of their remaining 10 games at best, which wouldn't even be enough to even reach our current points total

I wasn't being serious any way am off back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Taking everything into consideration. I cant honestly see how the FA would deny us the league title. Not with the position we are in and the facts its been 30 years since we won the league. It would take some bent FA decisions for that to happen.
    Am sure something will arranged. It seems totally unfair otherwise.
    You can't award anybody anything in a competition that hasn't been completed. It doesn't matter how many points clear we are, however unlikely it may be, there is still the mathematical possibility we won't win it. Horses fall at the final hurdle when being furlongs clear, F1 drivers can crash despite being miles in front, things happen in sport. Not to mention we are on a bad run, still have city and the bitters to play. It isn’t beyond the realms of possibility to turn into a total collapse. It’s happened before. It will happen again.
    And think of the legal ramifications if they were to just hand us the title. The teams facing relegation / promotion, those going for CL places... It would be a total cluster fuck.
    Prepare yourself for the disappointment, it's happening.

Most of the rags are reporting that if no more games are played this season we will still be awarded the title

There are also reports that plans are afoot that the top 2 Championship clubs will be promoted and no teams will be relegated and the EFL cup will be scrapped next season and 5 sides will be relegated next season
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 14th March 2020 at 04:59 AM.