Page 41 of 248 FirstFirst ... 313435363738394041424344454647485191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    The only fair way is to complete all the leagues if it takes till September and scrap all cups next season so you can catch up.

Null and void suits some but then what happens if the same next season ?, fans in all leagues are paying money and lots of it to watch glorified friendlies.

It will cause more damage long term to the game but football does have the tendancy to make stupid decisions.
    But what about the transfer window? And some players' contracts ending at end of June?

Is it just me or does this feel like no matter how it pans out....the shine has somehow been rubbed off? if it were to be just given to us what does that mean for any celebration?

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Is it just me or does this feel like no matter how it pans out....the shine has somehow been rubbed off? if it were to be just given to us what does that mean for any celebration?
    A little yes but its something we'll all ive with I guess.
    They would have some form of celebration without doubt. That's if we end up winning it.

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Yep. I don't want to be handed the title, I want us to win it fair and square, in the right way, playing everyone home and away, 38 games. anything else would be a hollow victory.

Even before the virus we've been so far out in front for so long that waiting for a parade in May would have been a strange anti climax. We'll just have to go for more of a down to the wire nail biter next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesugw View Post
    But what about the transfer window? And some players' contracts ending at end of June?
    That is something they will have to work out amongst themselves.

Its not an easy question to answer as the same could happen next season as well who knows my opinion stands we need to complete the season for the good of everyone not just us.

You might be right they might void everything but my thinking is at somepoint life will go on as normal as it can people will do what they can for so long but how long can you realistically expect things to be how they are now ?

Lots of people will start losing jobs as businesses crumble that is much more scary than a football match/league.

Most teams have 9 matches left. 30th June seems to be the cut-off point (on account of various players' contracts). If the season were to resume by the end of April, then I think it's do-able. Problem is, if they re-start and then in early May another player or manager gets it, then it will be suspended again.
    I hope and pray that if the season can't be finished, then we would be awarded the league. But I fear that won't be the case. Why? because I think it could open up a legal can of worms. Say,we're awarded the league without the league finishing, wouldn't Leeds argue that, likewise, they should be awarded the top spot and qualification to the Premiership. Wouldn't WBA? But then wouldn't Norwich, Villa et al say "Well you can't have our place, because we might have survived if the season had been completed'. This argument would be used throughout all the divisions.
    I can't see how you can award us the league and say everything else is null and void. There'd be huge legal ramaifcations. It makes me nauseous to say this but isn't declaring the whole season null and void the only 'fair' and consistent thing to do?
    Because we are 25 points clear, we have only dropped 4 pts. The likelihood of us not accruing another 6 points is about as likely as the population all getting the virus. We are in different circumstances. That's why we should be declared champions if it's not concluded.
    We wont though as it doesn't work like that.
    It's a massive can of worms to void the season that has far more repercussions than the league want. By some accounts (Simon Stone from BBC says a conclusion is very much the preferred outcome and a void season would be the last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post

Its not an easy question to answer as the same could happen next season as well who knows my opinion stands we need to complete the season for the good of everyone not just us.
    Very true, actually. I think they're expecting a second peak of this virus in the autumn. God knows, as you say there is the need as a society for things to go back to normal. And football can play a big part in that.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Because we are 25 points clear, we have only dropped 4 pts. The likelihood of us not accruing another 6 points is about as likely as the population all getting the virus. We are in different circumstances. That's why we should be declared champions if it's not concluded.
    We wont though as it doesn't work like that.
    It's a massive can of worms to void the season that has far more repercussions than the league want. By some accounts (Simon Stone from BBC says a conclusion is very much the preferred outcome and a void season would be the last resort.
    Agree that we're in a totally different situation to any other club in England or indeed Europe. Common sense would say that we're awarded the title and everything else is frozen. But as someone said above, when do the people who run football use their common sense?

Very true, actually. I think they're expecting a second peak of this virus in the autumn. God knows, as you say there is the need as a society for things to go back to normal. And football can play a big part in that.
    Totally. This is something we will have to live through, maybe for years until a vaccine is made.
    Is life going to be on hold until its eradicated? Not realistic, it would be like walking dead.

Good to see you are onboard James !