Page 70 of 248 FirstFirst ... 206063646566676869707172737475767780120170 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and the impact on football

[QUOTE=Nineteenx;2626259]https://en.as.com/en/2020/03/16/football/1584356821_624528.html

Regarding the determination of league winners, UEFA president, Aleksander Čeferin, has already confirmed he is in favour of choosing the team that was leader of each championship at the time that each league was respectively suspended.

However, many believe such a measure will not be necessary due to the likely postponement of Euro 2020, which would free up dates to conclude the league fixtures in the summer. But that of course will depend on whether the coronavirus crisis has eased off enough by then to resume matches.

If not, UEFA would determine the qualifying teams for the next editions of the Champions League and the Europa League by taking into account the league standings at the moment that leagues were respectively suspended.

The European governing body would not get involved in determining criteria for relegated and promoted clubs, allowing the respective leagues to choose their own format. However, it would advise using the same criteria for determining the league champion.

Ha ha hah No taking on the Premier League for the filthy and no stitch ups by the Premier League, in the event that league's cannot be finished UEFA will be recognising Champions as the team leading at time of suspension and UEFA will be recognising and allocating positions for Champions League and Europa League qualification based on the standings at the time each league was suspended, taking it out of the Premier League's hands, so no null and voiding, common sense from UEFA at least

Oh and Arsenal's and UAE FC's attempts to have the league cancelled and reasons for it up in a cloud of

The best probably would be to finish this season at 30 june 2020 and whatever the league standings are is final .
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”

Harsh to declare final standings if a team was a few points behind with games in hand due to cups or bullshit TV schedules.

Difficult but you have to draw the line somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Harsh to declare final standings if a team was a few points behind with games in hand due to cups or bullshit TV schedules.
    The season might not be finished anyway, who knows when we're going to be able to start again, I don't see it being on April 5th, if it were to start then we need to get back in training as I think UAE FC are this week and if we beat them it's done anyway

I think all league's are going to have to work hard to try and ensure all teams have played the same number of games after any restart in case anything happens meaning we have to stop playing again
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 18th March 2020 at 02:00 AM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    South Korea seem to have some grip on it and its probably due to them testing 20k people a day. The UK are testing 1500 a day.
    Good point this
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    The season might not be finished anyway, who knows when we're going to be able to start again, I don't see it being on April 5th

I think all league's are going to have to work hard to try and ensure all teams have played the same number of games after any restart in case anything happens meaning we have to stop playing again
    After the opening thread where everyone thought it was madness.

We now have an almost unprecedented situation.

God knows the future.

We are 8billion people on the planet
    Planet Earth which is dirty polluted and dying.

The planet is 4billion years old v civilisation as we know it about 4000 years old.

I put my money on the planet winning this one.

For me mankind has come to the planet like a raucous bunch of teenage students at a house party.

Gate crashed it.

Trashed the place.

And now is paying for the consequences.

Football as much as it is loved is part of this civilisation.

We all pay the consequences for the planet.

Somewhere it is said that the swedes would like a certain quality of life. If they all get it , the resources needed they will need 3 planets to produce such a level.

There are about 10 million people in Sweden.

You could always just calculate a full season based on each teams average points per game at the point where the season was halted.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    You could always just calculate a full season based on each teams average points per game at the point where the season was halted.
    No need for that, there won't be a cancellation of any of the league's whatever happens

UEFA's president wants to see all sides that are top of their divisions at the point no more games can be played crowned Champions if their leagues are unable to be completed

Why the league's can't be cancelled is that UEFA, not the Premier League for example, are going to decide which teams qualify for next season's European competitions based on where they finished this season, the season either being completed or on teams positions when no more play was possible

Only any relegation or promotion is going to be decided by each national league
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Until I hear from the premier league what their plans are this title is not in the bag in fact i'm worried we are going to get screwed over.

My only crumb is we are so far clear its a straight forward decision and the championship want to carry on playing would they bother if they were told no promotion/relegation.

All this void stuff is annoying as people are saying a team 25 points clear arent champions and a team who have performed badly at the bottom will get rewarded not only by staying up but getting huge tv money as well.

All this BS of there would be a question mark by our name I couldnt care less we derserve it 100% and everyone knows it.

I try to be as fair as I can would other fans of other teams really be ok if it was their team ? Of course not and also look at the damage this will do to the lower league sides they might not get big crowds or have great players but I respect them all football is a sport for everyone not a select few leagues.

I certainly dont see how it gets finished in the regulation way. They will most certainly be behind closed doors if they are played at all.
    Might get a few games played and the virus might spike again which leads to another shut down.
    BBC reported yesterday that this might be how things go. Stop start to beat the virus as the public will not be shut down for a prolonged spell before you hit problems like unrest where there are simply not enough cops to cope.
    Basically all the things this horrod govt have cut over the years with their austerity could come back to bite them very hard.
    The one saving grace (I hope) is in the theory that children are seem to be going unaffected or very little anyway and theres a theory that they may not even be playing a part in spreading it. Its ignorant stupid adults not adhering to guidelines.