Page 83 of 659 FirstFirst ... 337376777879808182838485868788899093133183583 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Or perhaps reminding people that he could potentially have an extra year left is a ploy to get us a little more money?

Please?
    If that is the plan then it's a stupid foolish plan on multiple levels.

Nobody's going to be enticed to pay above the odds for a shaky (at best) brain-fart inclined defender on the wrong side of the age mound and tail end of his career, especially in this post-COVID transfer market with most clubs getting squeezed for cash with no fans at stadiums and no gate revenue.

The best we could have hoped for is to lob him off to some other club - even at a minimal loss - assuming he didn't run out his contract, get something little in return and get his wages off our books and allow the club to re-invest perhaps even in a younger (read : cheaper) and possibly more promising option while moving the likes of Hoever up the ranks to provide the competition that Gomez so badly seems to need.

I guess the argument they're going to make is that he has,...."invaluable experience"....but personally I'm not really sure if it balances out the frequent brain-farts on the field and verbal diarrhea episodes off of it whenever someone in the press shoves a microphone in front of his face.

With Matip injured and continuing to have a questionable health reliability, and Gomez still struggling to make that position truly his and make his case as being Virgil's no. 1 partner, Klopp will be forced to play Lovren more often than any of us would like, and that is simply never a good time.

I'm really concerned with the direction this club is going in this transfer window with some of these decisions.
    We're going to struggle to defend our title next season much less make a credible CL title challenge.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

We need rid of Lovren and to sign another top class experienced CB to play alongside Virgil, Matip has the quality and ability but is too injury prone, both Lovren and Gomez are accidents waiting to happen, Gomez has been targeted as our weak link successfully too many times this season for it to be ignored if we are to make a credible defence of and retain our Premier League title and mount another serious challenge for the Champions League

I've spent years here trying to bestow the virtues and mentality needed to land No19, to land No20 No7 and more you HAVE to always work hard to improve and invest in the right players to improve while improving on any weak links and chinks in your armour at the same time

We needed another top class forward who can play right across the line, Werner was that player, we let him go

We still need for certain types of games and more creative midfielder who can also fit in with our tempo hard work and pressing, Fabian Ruiz IS that player, he's this summers Fernandes, only he's better than Fernandes and can also offer the desired quality and competition and LCM, RCM, LFWD and RFWD so bringing him in would also go a long way to making up for missing out on Werner AND it absolutely would improve us. Lallana's gone, Shaqiri will be going, Wilson, Grujic, so we can absolutely stretch ourselves to land him and we desperately need to

We urgently need a new top class CB or to discover a miracle way to keep Matip free of injury as he is the only one of our CB's who is good enough to partner Virgil, Lovren's an accident waiting to happen and Gomez has been targeted as our weakest link successfully in too many games this season for that issue to be ignored

You DO NOT keep winning by standing still

Out: Origi, Lovren, Lallana, Shaqiri, Wilson, Grujic

In: Fabian Ruiz and a top centre back

Into the quad more frequently to play more: Brewster, Jones, Williams, Minamino

That will have to do with some restraint required as a result of COVID, we have to be brutally honest and continue to improve, all the outs just aren't good enough and never have been and never will be
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

You are looking at £100m at least for Ruiz and a top CB, in short its not happening.

@Nineteenx

Indeed you don't keep winning by standing still. This is even more pertinent today what with Man **ity getting let off. It's amazing that some can't/don't want to see this and are content for us to rest on our laurels.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    You are looking at £100m at least for Ruiz and a top CB, in short its not happening.
    We'll get a lot more than that for the five outs we will get fees for and make a saving in wages too
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    We'll get a lot more than that for the five outs we will get fees for and make a saving in wages too
    I hope you are right but im not so sure especially with the wages Lovren and Shaqiri are on.

I agree we need to sign new players and Werner is someone I was going on about for a year.

If we arent going to pay £50m for a player we were clearly after as confirmed by the journos linked to the club I just dont see us signing anyone of note but that might not be a bad thing if we can unearth an unknown gem.

Yes lots of lovely savings that won't be used to beef up our squad. Party time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Yes lots of lovely savings that won't be used to beef up our squad. Party time!!!
    I see what you are saying but Klopp is already hinted it’s what we are going to do and he uses the words “internal solutions” we know what that means.

If people think we will shift Lovren/Shaqiri easily they are on another planet.

Some murmurings that Chelsea are preparing a Monster £90m bid for Oblak.

Nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Some murmurings that Chelsea are preparing a Monster £90m bid for Oblak.

Nuts.
    Why is it nuts...?