Page 53 of 659 FirstFirst ... 34346474849505152535455565758596063103153553 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Could do with replacing both Matip and Lovren to be fair, the former coz he’s always injured and the latter coz he’s Lovren.

Liverpool are the first Premier League champions to spend less than £10million on transfers in the season they won the league for nine years, having shelled out just £8.6million during their title-winning campaign.

The Reds wrapped up the 2019/20 title - their 19th league success overall but a first in the Premier League era - when Chelsea beat their closest challengers Manchester City at Stamford Bridge last Thursday.

That led to wild celebrations among the squad, who were gathered together to watch the game back on Merseyside.

Among their number was the Japanese attacking midfielder Takumi Minamino, who the Reds spent £7.25million on in January, and the young defender Sepp van den Berg, who was signed from Dutch side PEC Zwolle for £1.35million last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Could do with replacing both Matip and Lovren to be fair, the former coz he’s always injured and the latter coz he’s Lovren.
    Yep. Cant rely on either. We need another very, very good CB. Gomez is good but I wouldn't be confident in him marshalling a back 4 on his own. Need another leader in there.

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    See #516
    Oh I need to go to speck savers
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Two great seasons in a row....champions of europe.......Champions of the world.....no notable transfers last year or this....I still cant get my head round why we pulled out of Werner? IF he really was the player we wanted that price tag won't come round too often......with our recent success how comes chelsea were able to screw us again?.....

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Two great seasons in a row....champions of europe.......Champions of the world.....no notable transfers last year or this....I still cant get my head round why we pulled out of Werner? IF he really was the player we wanted that price tag won't come round too often......with our recent success how comes chelsea were able to screw us again?.....
    1. Covid-19.

2. Chelsea have more cash than us due to the Hazard/Morata money and a transfer ban and high-earners like Willian leaving, combined with having to "roll the dice" because their position as a Top Four team is under question (thus risks are a calculated gamble) and they're an Oil club that haven't always obeyed FFP and might fiddle the books to accommodate us, versus our model of being sustainable.

We have improved on the pitch (and are on course for a record points haul) without spending much of late - it makes sense to keep the powder dry (and affords youth an opportunity to break through) until the financial picture is more clear. The acquisition of Werner is unlikely to massively increase our points total and thus not spending that £50m now may help us later when a better use of the money could possibly occur.

I want Werner too, don't get me wrong - and I totally am on board (in "normal" circumstances) of adding when in a position of strength. I do believe we will add to our squad, just might not be this window. But it will come.

We're shrewd operators. Remember that Salah wasn't Klopp's first-choice and that it worked out alright - I can foresee a similar situation unfolding with Werner.

Besides, Chelsea having a striker as good as Werner means they might take more points off City/Spurs/United next season. Upside to everything.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Some clubs will gamble on sticking and some will twist..........FSG don't gamble.

I don't even see the Werner transfer as that much of a gamble like some and can only think we're not getting the full picture of what really happened. Covid or no Covid, if Klopp really wanted him I can't see FSG looking him in the eye and saying no.

AFCON getting pushed to 2022 certainly helps but we're still talking about quality cover for the front 3 for the 3rd year in a row.......it will bite us in the arse sooner or later.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

We will need another centre back for sure. Matip is out until at least August..Hes not 100% reliable with his fitness record.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Why Matip? He's probably not on too much money and is a decent defender. At times he's looked as good as van Dijk. Good age, experienced, doesn't play for his national team iirc. Think he's an ideal play with whom to rotate VVD and Franco Joeresi.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Any chance we could go in with a low bid for Hazard? Don't think he's having the best of times at Real.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non