Page 51 of 659 FirstFirst ... 4144454647484950515253545556575861101151551 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Actually think Arthur will go on to be top notch player. Barca are in the early stages of massive decline imo.
    Agreed and agreed!

Barcelona squad ages and their mounting debt are a crazy recipe.

I don't understand bringing Pjanic in when so many players are 31-and-up. They need to be looking at the 22-26 age bracket.

You can only presume they're banking on winning as much as possible while Messi is still there in the hope that will generate sponsorship opportunities and sales of older players to Chinese clubs. I don't understand how they choose to operate at all.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Sky have pooed pooed our interest in Koulibaly. Says we are not in the market for him due to our strict transfer policy not allowing us to go over 60m for a 29 year old. Does say we could be after a CB if Lovren leaves.
    FSG out!

If we couldn't afford £48m for a 24 year old forward, then you'd presume we aren't spending more on a 29 year old defender.

...anyway, isn't he also a left sided centre back?
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

[QUOTE=reddownunder;2634923]I have a feeling Barça will fall off a cliff once Messi's powers diminish[/QUOTE

Yup, me too. With him, Busquets and Pique gone there'll be noone left from that generation. They'll be fooked I hope.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Interesting interview with Klopp regarding transfers, or the lack of. He sounds like he’s very happy with what he’s got, and is likely to look towards the younger players to strengthen the squad. I personally think it’s a mistake not to strengthen from a position of power. With Milner in his 50s now, we really do need some cover for left back.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-transfer-news-18509374
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    If we couldn't afford £48m for a 24 year old forward, then you'd presume we aren't spending more on a 29 year old defender.

...anyway, isn't he also a left sided centre back?
    Agree. I just liked the idea of him signing as unlikely as it is. Not sure what side he plays on.

Really Cantwell ?
    He runs a lot , but so does Mo Farah.

I don't know the football analysis on Cantwell but watching him he is a soft touch and gives the ball away cheaply.

Reminds me of a poor man's Ray Houghton.

Let's see how it goes from him.

I do not see where we can improve the 1st XI without stating the obvious £100m players which won't happen in the next few years.

Clearly Kloppo doesnt trust the young guns to play at LB.

But Williams , Elliot , Jones are likely to feature.

Much as I'd love us to have the capacity to do so, even ignoring the impact Covid-19 has had on finances, we have conceded 21 goals in the League.

That's unlikely to end up being more than 25-26 over the 38-game period you would think, unless City have a blinder against us.

I don't think we're suddenly going to be able to bring that number below, say, 20 goals conceded for the season, perhaps even with Koulibaly. Would be interesting to Google for a bit on which teams have had the most water-tight records in our League and in others. We're certainly closer rather than further.

I still think pulling away in more matches is probably a bigger priority really. 14 of those wins done by a single-goal margin remember.

Even the Atletico tie I look at and think "yes, it's easy to blame Adrian" but had we scored a goal in the first leg we could have done things differently, or indeed had we got our second goal before the end of normal time in the second leg, we would be through. Difficult against arguably the best defensive side in World football, but we are meant to be one of the best attacking sides ourselves - we should have been able to find a way.

Hopefully there is a bargain or two to be had out there, or money to be gathered from a Lovren sale (I'm sure Fabinho could plug a gap if we got stuck) or a Shaqiri sale, or indeed the 30% of any Luis Alberto sale.

Had Covid-19 not happened we would be in an even stronger position, but I will certainly take being League winners with a squad that can challenge for the League and Champion's League next season.

It’s not just about goals conceded numbers though, Sid. When we look unstable at the back, the attack loses its shape and it’s belief. I think he may have looked at the team and thought there are two weaknesses (ignoring squad depth issues)
    1) we could be more solid at the back and Van Dijk can’t be expected to save us from all attacks.
    2) a midfielder with Rolls Royce control and distribution would improve our efficacy. Thiago at Bayern might be such a player but I’m not sure.

You would only get 3/4 good years out of Koulibaly .if he gets a long term injury that's time taken out of his contract + theres no sell on price. I don't see the sense is coughing up 60+ million for a 29 year old.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century