Thread: Summer transfer thread

Thank fuck we ended up with Mane and not Gotze

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    Thank fuck we ended up with Mane and not Gotze
    Indeed.

Sadio was the beginning of the great things.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Paying a lot of money in wages is the usual requirement for any club wishing to be consistently successful, as has been shown by the direct correlation between a club's wage bill and how successful they are. We are the 4th most valuable brand in world football, and at least the fifth richest.

In terms of the stands and our training ground, they are not sunk costs. They have/will increase the value and revenue of our club, something that will greatly benefit our owners as and when they decide to sell up. They have also used loans (via FSG subsidiaries - posing questions about who exactly is benefiting from the interest payments) to pay for those things. They have not financed these things from their own pockets, nor have they done these things out of the goodness of their hearts.
    Which we are doing. Which is good.

Incoming funds help our transfer budget / paying of staff - and yes, should we sell up (and possibly get owners that FSG-critics prefer) benefits us. Which is good.

But we have them - the top players, the new Stand, the top Manager, the top analytics staff, the top nutritionists - and the money (which has come from good business) to attain these things was spent to attain these things. Which is good. Why does it matter if it's from the "goodness of their Hearts" or not? Almost no businessperson is in it for a greater cause.

We have a sustainable model, aren't run by the Saudis or the Chinese Government and we are happy to walk away from negative things - we've allegedly just split with Chaokh as a sponsor once we learned there's Animal Cruelty involved.

What would it take to make you like them more? A "from their own pockets" major transfer? Something else?
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    You do wonder if we're funding Red sox more, or what sometimes.
    Maybe not funding them ....but America seems to be on a knife edge at the moment.....They may be able to afford more than they are saying in the UK Business.....but imagine the shit storm if they had to tighten their belts on that side of the water but made any significant investments on this side?

There is a genuine threat of insolvency for all clubs, including the Dubai funded ones. The economy of Dubai is fucked if things don’t change fast. Even the oil dominant states like Qatar face major problems - has anyone been keeping an eye on the oil price lately?
    Having an idea in your head about how much we should spend in the transfer market - I’m imagining we think it’s somewhere between 100 and 150 million pounds - Is childish. Making sure the club is financially secure has become a pressing concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    With all due respect Noods, what exactly would you have them do if Alisson gets injured? Have Neuer or Buffon as backup? Ok, actually thinking about that it does sound awesome, but it's not realistic and the expected number of points such a huge outlay would win us each season is minuscule. Adrian is one of the best reserve goalies in the league - it's laughable to suggest we should have someone even better warming the bench every week. You should also bear in mind that outlays don't only come from player fees. As posted in an earlier thread, our wage bill for the last year iirc was on par with United and City's. That's the price of success, of course, but it's worth noting that it's among the highest in the game. And apparently wages are a far better predictor of on field success than transfer fees.

I also strongly disagree Salah's injury lost us the game in Kiev. It was Karius's brain farts that did that. Real were clearly the better, more experienced team. Sure we weren't as good without him, but any team would be worse for losing one of their best players. And Real were still the better and more experienced team with him on the pitch. However, I do completely agree we should have strengthened up top with Werner to make that with/without Mo gap a bit smaller. Apparently we'd agreed terms with him and he was keen to come, but we didn't want to spend 50m before assessing the financial situation (note that this does not mean "this summer" but rather "this early in the summer"). From what I read RBL told him he needed to go "now" and so he left.

A similar argument can be made about the game vs Chelsea in 2014. Chelsea had barely crossed the halfway line before Gerrard's slip. Need I remind you a draw would have still left the league in our hands? We were completely fine even without Hendo - all was well, then Gerrard slipped and it went south from there. Does Hendo being on the pitch magically give Stevie's boots more traction?

I do agree we should add more depth, but how many points per year do you think Lewis would win us that Tzatziki wouldn't? Jamal's a good player but I see no reason why the Greek should be any worse. And he's cheaper. Surely we don't want to be spending 20m on Downing or 35 on Carroll just because they're British again, no? Sid makes a good point that being prudent on the market lets you invest when sorely needed - like say with VVD and Alisson.

Edit: I do agree the cups are cool... but we all know they don't really matter financially.
    In all fairness, Karius's brain farts only happened after he was smashed by their captain, if you recall.
    The cnut got away with two episodes of violence against our players in that game.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    With all due respect Noods, what exactly would you have them do if Alisson gets injured? Have Neuer or Buffon as backup? Ok, actually thinking about that it does sound awesome, but it's not realistic and the expected number of points such a huge outlay would win us each season is minuscule. Adrian is one of the best reserve goalies in the league - it's laughable to suggest we should have someone even better warming the bench every week. You should also bear in mind that outlays don't only come from player fees. As posted in an earlier thread, our wage bill for the last year iirc was on par with United and City's. That's the price of success, of course, but it's worth noting that it's among the highest in the game. And apparently wages are a far better predictor of on field success than transfer fees.

I also strongly disagree Salah's injury lost us the game in Kiev. It was Karius's brain farts that did that. Real were clearly the better, more experienced team. Sure we weren't as good without him, but any team would be worse for losing one of their best players. And Real were still the better and more experienced team with him on the pitch. However, I do completely agree we should have strengthened up top with Werner to make that with/without Mo gap a bit smaller. Apparently we'd agreed terms with him and he was keen to come, but we didn't want to spend 50m before assessing the financial situation (note that this does not mean "this summer" but rather "this early in the summer"). From what I read RBL told him he needed to go "now" and so he left.

A similar argument can be made about the game vs Chelsea in 2014. Chelsea had barely crossed the halfway line before Gerrard's slip. Need I remind you a draw would have still left the league in our hands? We were completely fine even without Hendo - all was well, then Gerrard slipped and it went south from there.

Does Hendo being on the pitch magically give Stevie's boots more traction?
    No, but it would have meant Stevie would have been further forward, and someone else would have been in that position - Hendo possibly.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    No, but it would have meant Stevie would have been further forward, and someone else would have been in that position - Hendo possibly.
    Stevie was praised for his work as a deep-lying playmaker that season, so I would be pretty sceptical as to that possibility.

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4016/main/2014/04/21/4766042/why-steven-gerrard-has-been-the-epls-top-player-in-2013-14
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Stevie had been playing as a DLP all season. Hendo was used either side of him to do his running for him iirc. It was only later that Hendo started playing the DM position.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Which we are doing. Which is good.

Incoming funds help our transfer budget / paying of staff - and yes, should we sell up (and possibly get owners that FSG-critics prefer) benefits us. Which is good.

But we have them - the top players, the new Stand, the top Manager, the top analytics staff, the top nutritionists - and the money (which has come from good business) to attain these things was spent to attain these things. Which is good. Why does it matter if it's from the "goodness of their Hearts" or not? Almost no businessperson is in it for a greater cause.

We have a sustainable model, aren't run by the Saudis or the Chinese Government and we are happy to walk away from negative things - we've allegedly just split with Chaokh as a sponsor once we learned there's Animal Cruelty involved.

What would it take to make you like them more? A "from their own pockets" major transfer? Something else?
    It makes sense in a business perspective for them to maintain the club as a title winner.
    We have seen the impact of leaving things stagnate at spurs and manu.

Why would it be from their own pockets ?
    Hasnt the club generated enough profits and grown significantly in terms of value for the club to be able to add a player worthy of a shirt.