Page 192 of 659 FirstFirst ... 92142182185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199202242292 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Ah, sorry about that mate, thought it would make it more clear what I was referring to. Will try to refrain from it in future if it makes communication more difficult for you.

It appeared that you were suggesting that we - as a club go after players who are in the bracket of "One of the best" "out there" "time and time again"

No, it doesn't. What I said is basically A -> B, if I am allowed to use some modal logic.

A: He's [...] a priority for us
    B: We'd [...] be ready to pay

I.e. if he's a big priority, then we'd be willing to pay over the odds. No mention of quality. Just of how important he would be to us. E.g. VVD would have been massively important so we paid an absurd amount of money for him at the time. Same with Alisson. Actually maybe more so.

You did mention only two players in the squad that fit your criteria, but I might be tempted to argue that even they don't. VVD perhaps gets closest, but even with him it's not absolutely certain. But we're splitting hairs.

I hope this clears it up.
    It does - But then we are just talking players in general really...

Like I said, some luck is always involved, but the bolded bit isn't quite right, is it?

If Hull had an inkling he'd have sold for a lot more. Or maybe they did, but were in no position to keep him for other reasons. Who knows? If someone else capable and willing to match us had an inkling he'd have sold for more as there'd have been a bidding war. But not "anyone".

The fact we got him on the cheap means we played our cards right and identified value where others failed to do so... or we lucked out. Based on how often we've seemed to get transfers right for the past three-four years, I'd bet on the former.

As I said, a bit of luck is usually required.

So we're lucky that we made a better decision than them? By that logic Joshua is lucky every time he wins, because the opponent is worse than him. Or Jokovic is lucky since all the other players didn't think or weren't capable of playing the right shot.

What does that have to do with anything? Did you expect an 18-year-old to come in and be one of the best defenders in the league? He was clearly one for the future. A future that could have come a lot earlier, had he not missed 1238967 months of football due to ACL injuries. And he was quite good at left back where he first played for Rodgers. Then he started getting injured.

Only if you think being better at your job than others is luck. There's probably an element of it, but I would not classify it that way.

You won't see me arguing that Klopp's been absolutely instrumental to our recent success. He'll be hard to replace. FSG are quite ... ahem ... lucky ... to have him. But they are the ones who hired him. You kind of make your own ...ahem.. luck... at times.

I also hope we sign one or two good quality players, that much we agree on.
    Your points seem to pretty much back up my argument despite you trying to counter argue.
    If Pep bids 50m for VvD 3 years ago hes a city player. Without question. He hesitated, that was lucky for us and he'll kick himself forever more for it.
    As for your AJ comparison, luck comes into it big time in boxing. That's how Whyte got sparked last week. One lucky punch, job done for Pov.
    It doesn't mean anyone/club is not good at what they do.
    All I'm saying is FSG have had some immense goodfortune alongside their good business sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Get a life Sid.... blimey - off to my sons football training but will try and read this over the next week.. Argh
    Wonder if we can afford him?

Would he take a "play to get paid" deal?

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Your points seem to pretty much back up my argument despite you trying to counter argue.
    If Pep bids 50m for VvD 3 years ago hes a city player. Without question. He hesitated, that was lucky for us and he'll kick himself forever more for it.
    As for your AJ comparison, luck comes into it big time in boxing. That's how Whyte got sparked last week. One lucky punch, job done for Pov.
    It doesn't mean anyone/club is not good at what they do.
    All I'm saying is FSG have had some immense goodfortune alongside their good business sense.
    Of course they have. But you seem to be implying that them being better at their jobs than others is... a bad thing? By calling it luck. It's not really luck. It's being good at your job.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 3rd September 2020 at 06:32 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Not exactly - more like players the club has decided are worth pushing the boat out at the given moment. For example, I wouldn't expect us to go for Oblak, since we don't really need a new goalie - he'd cost 100m and would add maybe a point a season.

That doesn't mean that we don't think he's one of the best in the world.

But we would go for someone like player X and pay slightly over the odds since he'll add five points a season for 20m. That what it looks like to me anyway.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Decent video on the money topic:

Wages are important, people!

TL;DR; we should have a bit of cash, but nothing significant.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Was Klopp's downfall at Dortmund because the owners failed to back him after selling star players ?
    I think I remember reading somewhere, and before Klopp joined us, that the team got burned out with the sheer effort required to maintain that level of performance.

So basically the club by not investing in the squad is now worth a huge fortune which will leave FSG incredibly wealthy when they sell but will likely leave the new owners absolutely potless to invest in the team.

Excellent

Investing in the squad doesn't just mean buying players, miller. It means keeping the ones you have and paying them top dollar. Which we seem to be doing.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Investing in the squad doesn't just mean buying players, miller. It means keeping the ones you have and paying them top dollar. Which we seem to be doing.
    Klopp rarely buys top players if at all. They need to be of a certain type. Perhaps lacking in top skills but necessary to be natural athletes and able to run all day. They must compensate for that lack of top skills with massive contribution to a super team effort week in week out.