Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Im suggesting the club hasnt even spent its generated income and has posted a fair few significant profits with my own expectation/guess for the season just closed.
    So to noods as well, why are we talking about digging into their own pockets at all ? Just give Jurgen the clubs cash to invest in the lifeblood of any club, players.

If brewster comes good, great. If we bought another top attacker and had our current front 3 and a new attacker (Say Mkopface) with brewster (godmode)
    Whose gonna complain ?
    We'd merely have 2 top younger forwards on the books and reap the rewards.

Im not anti-fsg, posted a glowing thread about them before we won trophies and summer 2018.

I am rather against the narrative of poor little lidlpool when we are pl, sc, wcc and cl winners with a new nike game changing deal commencing.
    Isn't it better to go about it low key.
    Rather than be all flashy or loads of money attitude show like at Chelsea or Man City.

We are a humble rich club. Trying to go about business discreetly.

Other than pay of the odds for an 'English ' full back with only relegation experience. We go for a full back half the price with international and European champions league experience.

This Liverpool targets key areas now. After klopp building the foundation. The squad. The u23s and now the u18s. The stadium. The new training facilities.

Who cares about net spend. In fact we are in such a healthy position compared to Arse Spuds Chelsea Citeh and Manu that it must frighten them.

Spending silly money on wages see Ozil Aubameyang Sanchez and the likes or crazy transfer prices.

Seriously our first eleven how many do we need to change ? 1 or 2 maybe without pointing any fingers we know who. But maybe my idea is different to yours.

The squad; of course a bench of mbappe Bernardo Ruiz Would be nice even if they would want to start every game.

Of course to fall into the complacency act of not changing anything or total loyalty blindness another error.

However Klopp at 50++ yo just has too much experience to rip it up now or be blind to not know where he needs reinforcements.

So let's down play our money our wages our finances to get the best deal for the club.
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”

I'm in two minds about FSG's spending and living within our means.

On the one hand, it's how it should be done by and large, especially in the current climate with regards to sustainability. However on the other hand, they bought this club as an investment, not to make money year on year, but simply to grow their £300m. If they had sold in February of this year they could have expected to sell for around £2billion.

Not a bad mark up, so to expect them to fork out £50m here, £80m there, shouldn't really be the 'kindness of their hearts' sort of a gesture; more recognition of the investment that they have grown.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    There is a genuine threat of insolvency for all clubs, including the Dubai funded ones. The economy of Dubai is fucked if things don’t change fast. Even the oil dominant states like Qatar face major problems - has anyone been keeping an eye on the oil price lately?
    Having an idea in your head about how much we should spend in the transfer market - I’m imagining we think it’s somewhere between 100 and 150 million pounds - Is childish. Making sure the club is financially secure has become a pressing concern.
    Totally agree
    Is it Algeria that need a barrel at $145 to breakeven ... ?

Wow. The oil money fast disappearing ; anothercreason why they have invested in tangible assets.

Kaveh Solhekol, that slimy little weasel off sky is saying "Thiago would love to play for Liverpool but we arent looking to strengthen midfield ".
    I've yet to see a story that guy has got right. Absolutely full of shit. He was the one who as soon as the lockdown began was saying the majority of prem clubs wanted to end the season. Turns out none of them did.

[QUOTE=Balinkay;2642314]Yes, exactly. If we could have got Timo Werner for 50m or his twin ... Biermo Werner who's identical in every meaningful way, but 0.04 kmh slower in a straight line for 40m, I'd have gone for Biermo.

And yes, he'd not be a starter right away, but he'd get more minutes as he could play anywhere up top and would be likely to directly add goals. We've had reserve forwards come on and do very little - he'd be a direct upgrade on that. He'd directly get us more points.

Lewis can play one position and that's it. A position where Robbo's been ever present over the past two years basically.
    Furthermore, Werner is a far better commercial package and he'd likely allow us to part with one of the front three, should one of them decide to leave. Who exactly do you think would try to buy Robbo?

Also why exactly do you think Lewis is better than Sirtaki? Why is it such a worry for you that we missed out on some dude from relegated Norwich with one PL season under his belt. And I don't remember this much of a fuss being kicked up when we failed to land Götze but got some unknown from Saints for a huge fee. Having multiple targets is prudent. Whichever one offers the best value for money (more complicated formula, of course), you get that one. When you have one, you pay over the odds, as we did with VVD.

Was Werner plan B for Afcon ?

[QUOTE=Insidious;2642301]Ah I see.

76, 75, 97, 99 - I think we are fairly safe on the Top Four front, especially with the combination of our medical department and youth players breaking through. Should one of the front three get injured there is a choice (depending on who stays of course) of one of Origi, Minamino, Brewster, Elliot, Shaqiri. Would I like an even better option? Naturally. But justifying the agent fees, wages etc of someone who will hardly play and throws an obstacle in the path of Brewster or Elliot is tricky.

Midfield (depending on who stays/arrives) we have options of Henderson, Fabinho, Ox, Keita, Wijnaldum, Milner, Curtis Jones, possibly Grujic, possibly Wilson, possibly Alcantara.

Defence (again, depending on who stays/arrives) Left-back we have Robertson and seemingly Tsimikas, Milner at a push, right-back we have Trent and Williams, centre-back we have Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip, Hoever, Van Der Berg, a possible arrival, Fabinho at a push, even Wijnaldum played there once.

Goalkeeper we have Alisson and Adrian.

Majority of our players (likes of Shaqiri and Matip not so much) we have excellent injury records, complimented by our improved strategy when it comes to reduced pressing and better game management, excellent dieticians, excellent medical staff.

= a very healthy position

Experience and maturity

Mentality monsters

@dicko

Don't think that was his only role, but I'm sure we'd considered that.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post

1) where is the money/profit going in your opinion ?
    2) why are people so averse to another summer of ambition with further rewards to be gotten ?
    1. Good question - I think there will be cash that is "ear-marked" for things. One example of this is player contracts that expire in-and-around 2023 - Wijnaldum, Salah, Mane, Van Dijk, Firmino, Fabinho, Keita, Hendo, Ox all have contracts that expire around then (I may need to go back and check specifics but let's assume, until I'm otherwise corrected, that that info is right) - we have to factor in the wages that these guys will be earning (with wages likely to increase) as well as the possibility of bonuses (let's pretend a contract has a 20% bonus for a League win and that FSG have to assume we win to cover bases for the most "expensive" scenario) and as well as these wages, there's the fees to the agents which are large to say the least when such things are negotiated, particularly if a contract is going to be a "one last pay-day" type contract. Bear in mind we are doing this in an environment where we have no real grasp of revenue streams (when will fans be allowed back in, will all television stations honour contracts as financially hit folks cancel subscriptions, will sponsors be paying out to their fullest or trying to reduce pay-out deals) or how much loss might occur from as-yet-unknowns such as voiding of tournaments. We'll have money ear-marked for more things with Kirkby, money ear-marked for further stadium expansion, money ear-marked for further sponsorship deals to make up for those we have lost (Western Union are no longer a sponsor for example) and catering for wage increases from those who are pushing for first-team positions - not to mention the agent fees for THOSE negotiations as well. As a general rule agent fee / player wage / staff wage costs go up and up and up in a competitive market, where we are faced with revenue streams potentially stagnating or decreasing, plus stadium/Kirkby costs to factor in - which includes non-playing staff too - our wages are something like £310m a year all-in and that will only go up.

So that plays a part.

2. I'm not averse to spending - but I think spending needs to be justified. 97 points, 99 points. Let's say we bought Mbappe for £200m and finished on 100 points - was the £200m (not to mention the wages we would have to pay for the duration of a contract) "worth" getting one more point? I'd say not. Our current "level" if you will is that we are capable of challenging for the Premier League, with every chance of winning it - and capable of challenging for the Champion's League, with every chance of winning it. Realistically, without "sportswashing" that is as high a level as you can achieve - I would rather we sit on what money we have and purchase when the level shows signs of going down relative to what's around us. Chelsea will be better, yes. United will be better, yes. But will they close the gap enough in 20/21 to threaten our position as a League and European-Cup challenging team? It's a resounding no from me - I could be proven wrong of course, but I think both sides need AT LEAST another season - so why not "keep the powder dry" until 21/22 so we can spend when we actually "NEED" to, to increase the gap again?

That's my two cents. As long as we are able to challenge, massive spending isn't required. Where spending should come in is when you need to make a gap over a rival bigger (we finished 33 points ahead of United!!!!) or you need to close a gap on a rival (we finished 17 points ahead of City). People can point to our Atletico tie and say "ah, but if we had spent and we had better players....." but Cup football doesn't work that way - look at our side in 04/05 compared to the Juventus, Chelsea or AC Milan sides we defeated. Look at Di Matteo's run with Chelsea which included beating excellent Barcelona and Bayern Munich sides.

The other time to spend is when the side needs refreshed and for me, in an era where elite players can shine for longer than before, that isn't yet necessary. In 2 seasons time I could foresee the sale of one of the front three, but we certainly don't need to tear up the side and start over just yet - we can squeeze a LOT more juice from this team yet!

Just to add to this as well (as different points are getting strewn throughout different posts by multiple users all loosely discussing the same conversational thread) I'm aware you aren't anti-FSG, but there is some FSG-scepticism around from some of our fanbase, which is an opinion they're of course entitled to, much as you and I disagree with their stance.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

So if wij has 1 year left, and if we won't meet his demands / or sell him this window

Thiago is in the same boat..I think?

Unless anyone comes in for him first, of course, maybe it'll happen in a year?

Still need to replace Milner at some point, or well have a future replacement ready

But I guess we have enough midfield options for now with Henderson,Wij,Fabinho,Ox,Jones,Keita..

Not really sure how milner will get on pitch unless fabinho is playing CB due to injury's , at his age you'd want to be playing, especially as we have a new LB

Then again some of our midfielders do get injured often.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 12th August 2020 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    So if wij has 1 year left, and if we won't meet his demands / or sell him this window

Thiago is in the same boat..I think?

Unless anyone comes in for him first, of course, maybe it'll happen in a year?

Still need to replace Milner at some point, or well have a future replacement ready

But I guess we have enough midfield options for now with Henderson,Wij,Fabinho,Ox,Jones,Keita..

Not really sure how milner will get on pitch unless fabinho is playing CB due to injury's , at his age you'd want to be playing, especially as we have a new LB

Then again some of our midfielders do get injured often.
    I'd play Milner whenever Henderson isn't available.

My first choice midfield is:

Keita Fabinho Henderson

2nd choice

Ox Wijnaldum Milner

Jones seems versatile so I can see him getting some minutes in the front 3 and whenever the senior players are out