Page 10 of 659 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516172060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Was it an evolution of our system or an evolution of our play?

If he brings Fabinho in for a game against say a top Champions league opponent, he's doing it because we can't afford the fluidity, we need a more fixed defensive figure in front of defence. Finding ways of getting our current players more creative/fluid is what he is doing. If he had an identifiable system he'd say something like 'I play with a defensive holding defender - that's Fabinho, and Henderson can fill in for him.
    The point of the fluidity is it helps evolve and develop all the players as well as the system, the increased efficiency in our press and counter press that it brought meant that teams were barely ever getting a look at our defence and there was always a player at No6.

This gives the players assuming the No6 position more experience of playing there in their reading of the game and awareness from that position and their pressing, counter pressing, passing and creativity, so the players evolve and the system with it.

It isn't yet developed like that with Fabinho as a part of it, however, at the moment it suits us to have more rigid positions and responsibilities in some games against the very toughest Champions League and Premier League opponents. In many of these games Hendo will play RCM more rigidly and assist Trent in dealing with players considered a huge threat on our right. Gini will play LCM a lot more rigidly and protect an area which an opposition's sides more creative midfielder might like to occupy and get space in. Fabinho will usually play his advanced destroyer role centrally in this set up, working with Bobby to stop the opposition centre mids getting on the ball and trying to create and release their forwards and more advanced creative midfielder(s).

This set up works very well for us in such games and is very obviously a clear system with clear defined tactics, the element we need to evolve and develop in this system is both Hendo and Gini and either CB being more aware of also protecting 'the hole' between LCM and RCM that Fabinho's high destroyer role creates as it is an area teams look to release players making forward outside in diagonal runs in.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

In actual transfer news, Chelsea agree deal to sign Ziyech from Ajax for €40m.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    The point of the fluidity is it helps evolve and develop all the players as well as the system, the increased efficiency in our press and counter press that it brought meant that teams were barely ever getting a look at our defence and there was always a player at No6.

This gives the players assuming the No6 position more experience of playing there in their reading of the game and awareness from that position and their pressing, counter pressing, passing and creativity, so the players evolve and the system with it.
    I think this also underlines the evolutionary potential of adding Fabian Ruiz, he is a very talented player who can operate and has experience in big leagues and Champions League as a No8 as Hendo and Gini operate, as an attacking No8 as Keita and Oxlade operate or as a DM, which lends incredible evolution to the rotation of positions of the midfield three.

He is a player who I think would operate primarily in the LCM slot, but will be comfortable and top quality assuming any of the 3 positions as our midfield rotates/interchanges during games.

At LCM I think he will provide a lot more creativity and options and people will quickly forget we ever had Coutinho or that KDB even exists. He is naturally left footed which immediately gives us greater balance. This gives him the ability which we lack at No8 LCM at present to switch play left to right to Salah, Trent or Hendo, it also gives us the ability in our midfield three to switch play right to left and left to right at will, which with our full backs and our forwards movement would obviously be an evolutionary step and create even more solutions for winning games and greater fluidity.

He possesses great vision and a fantastic range of passes, through balls, balls through the channels, balls to release Mane of Robbo in space down the flank, switches, balls to release players from deeper positions and high quality balls over defences from an advanced No8 position and he is also a great crosser of the ball, so it gives us another option for crosses different types of crosses from that area which we currently don't have.

He also has the strength and ability to hold onto the ball and link play in very tight areas we look for in all our midfielders and he is very adept at linking with players, as our midfield links with Mane and Robbo and being the player to go through the channel between RB and RCB himself and is a very good finisher. He is also very good at shooting from distance, which being naturally left footed and with our patterns of play meaning the channel between the oppositions RB and RCB is almost always open, obviously opens up numerous more opportunities.

He will also frequently come in quickly from LCM after making a pass to assume the No10 position, from which his through balls, dinked balls lifted just over defenders and finishing from distance with either foot are exemplary.

People compared him to Keita earlier in the thread, but he's a different kind of player who will offer different things to Naby. He can play as an attacking No8 on either side, but his style is different to Naby's. I'd see him predominantly employed as a more creative force who offers us what Gini does in pressing, counter pressing and holding onto to the play and using it intelligently in very tight areas, him being highly experienced and competent at either No8, No6 or as an attacking No8 either side gives us incredible options also.

Alas, much as I rate him, he's also a player Barca are very keen on, he's Spanish and his national coach is Luis Enrique, so were we interested in him, it might be difficult to acquire him. We have been linked with him and I really hope it's a link we follow through on as I believe he would be an evolutionary player for us and at just 23, he could be with us for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    Good signing for them, looks like Willian might well be off then, I wouldn't rate him as highly as Willian in Premier League terms, but I do think he could well go on to be a better Premier League player than Willian has been because he'll offer more creativity and goals, I think they'll lose a bit in Willians extra pace and his defensive work and hard running though

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    Looks like a cracking player. I'd have liked us to have been in for him but he probably wouldn't oust any of the current attackers.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Looks like a cracking player. I'd have liked us to have been in for him but he probably wouldn't oust any of the current attackers.
    But it lends the question, where's Willian going? I'd happily take him for a couple of seasons

Yeah has played well for a few years now at Ajax ....one factor with him is he could be missing in Jan for the African nations as well.

I think we’ll get Werner and i’d be very happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Yeah has played well for a few years now at Ajax ....one factor with him is he could be missing in Jan for the African nations as well.

I think we’ll get Werner and i’d be very happy with that.
    +1

Don't like Chelsea, but that looks like a good fit that will bolster their Top Four chances and anything that keeps United or Mourinho's Tottenham away from Champion's League Football that bit longer works for me.

If we go for another wide player in the summer. I hope we don't end up losing Salah in the next year or 2. Hes a superb talent..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century