Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Think it's one of 2 things.

1. Us putting Wijnaldum under a bit of pressure to commit his future by putting a link out there.

2. Bringing in another incredibly experienced footballer that will benefit the youngsters, is excellent in his role, is possibly statistically under-valued by his club and has a reputation as being the man who helps foreign talent integrate when it comes to the dressing room. Alcantara may be a "too good to ignore" player (our data analysts and Klopp will know the answer there) and it's very possible that he excels in metrics that could give us an edge in our continued evolution. He certainly progresses a ball insanely well and offers up chances on a plate by taking multiple opposition players out of a team - which could make the difference for us in Champion's League ties.
    I hope Gini signs up for a new deal and we bring Thiago in as well. We've had issues ever since Jurgen arrived with an imbalance or the type of midfielders in our squad, they both made important contributions on occasion that will never be forgotten, but Lallana and Shaqiri really don't have the pressing game, dynamism and athleticism to go with the creativity they can offer at times to be good options for the team if a player had a tweak or knock or needs a rest.

We need a couple more who can play fantastic switch balls as that ball is very important to us and we only have 3 players who can play them as well as we need them to be played in the entire squad and 2 of them are defenders , and who also have the necessary dynamism, athleticism, physicality and pressing game needed to play in the LFC midfield

Said on another thread that Bacon face wouldn't get anywhere near our midfield, he simply does not do nearly enough without the ball to help their collective press when they lose it, and while he is brilliant without the ball at finding space to receive it and try to create, he's well below the standard required in his ability of what he does without the ball when the opposition have it
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Thiago AND Wijnaldum would indeed be boss.

Frees up Milner a bit for a little rotation, including with Robertson (I know people want a true full-back as back-up, but Milner is a fine option in some games too) and an extra body would free up Fabinho a little for some appearances at centre-back, which in turn opens doors for people like Ox or Keita and so on.

It'd also be good to have a fresh face pushing our first-choice midfielders to prevent complacency and it's a little bit of succession planning should Milner leave at some point.

Not to mention an extra body that is a proven/quality player may be necessary in terms of depth if the 5-subs rule stays - as much as I back our youngsters, the 5-subs rule definitely benefits sides with real depth.

I know I'll trust the club with whatever business we do and am excited to see what a couple of the players we already have can produce - Keita seems to be being played into fitness (and if 5-subs rule stays may just be a 65-minute player) and we will, in time, see what Minamino brings - the poor lad came from another League, with limited English, to a new house, new club, new system and then Covid happens to disrupt everything. It's lovely when players hit the ground running but given the unique circumstances surrounding the timing of his arrival, Minamino, if we're to be as "fair" as possible, arguably merits more patience being shown than almost any arrival we have ever had.

Where are Napoli getting all that moola from?

Napoli have agreed an initial 60m euro (£54.6m) fee with French club Lille for Nigeria striker Victor Osimhen, 21. (Guardian)

Looks like Koulibaly will be on his way. 70 million to man-city
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

@Sid, I really hope that 5 subs rule isnt a mainstay.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    @Sid, I really hope that 5 subs rule isnt a mainstay.
    Same! But the club may have to plan "just in case" and/or know something we don't, though that would only be one factor when weighing up a signing, not the whole story.

Napoli spending big there, which suggests Koulibaly is going - a tad annoying as he strengthens a European rival (and a League rival of City is the destination) but we still have Van Dijk and Alisson.

Surely any new rule on the amount of substitutions a team can make has to be voted on? If that is the case I can't see it being voted in as it only benefits the big/rich teams, namely Oil FC.

Jeez of course the Koulibaly money. I forgot about him, d’oh ... drink has been taken.

Perhaps it's having my kids over for the first time in ages, or the beers drunk, but I'd quite like to see Millie move on to Leeds while he's still got something to give. Love the guy loads, but he's been restricted so much more this season, and we all know that his heart will be with the Leeds team.

I still think Milner has a lot to offer in midfield. He's the perfect player to have when Hendo needs resting or is out injured