Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 145 of 288 FirstFirst ... 4595135138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152155195245 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 2880

Thread: Summer transfer thread

  1. #1441
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    City of Self Doubt
    Posts
    15,548
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    It makes sense in a business perspective for them to maintain the club as a title winner.
    We have seen the impact of leaving things stagnate at spurs and manu.

    Why would it be from their own pockets ?
    Hasnt the club generated enough profits and grown significantly in terms of value for the club to be able to add a player worthy of a shirt.
    Have the club failed to do so? We were crying out for a new left back and we just got one.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

  2. #1442
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,902
    I cant see them taking money from our achievements to fund their other franchises. there would be hell to pay..They are not funding us when it comes to the covid 19 issue. which means what ever we lose it comes off being able to buy players at a huge price
    Leader of all..master of none..

  3. #1443
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    15,117
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    It makes sense in a business perspective for them to maintain the club as a title winner.
    We have seen the impact of leaving things stagnate at spurs and manu.
    True. But -

    1. We finished 17 points ahead of our nearest challengers and 33 points ahead of 3rd spot, so massive upgrades are desirable, but not yet immediately imperative.

    2. Klopp is better than Solskjaer or Mourinho. I'd rate him higher than Guardiola too as he doesn't need to spend 400m on defenders to make his side better, but I appreciate some will disagree.

    3. If squads were trading cards, we've just swapped a 31-year old, 4th-choice centre-back with depreciating value for a 24-year old back-up left back who likely hasn't peaked yet, whilst reducing the wage bill (Tsimikas thought to be on 50k a week to Lovren's 100k a week, which is an upgrade on the squad, which is precisely what we want.

    4. Chemistry between pre-existing players in terms of movement patterns should be even better in 20/21 as we have kept the squad together, whilst younger players have had an extra season of development, which is another incremental upgrade.

    So unless there is a disaster, we are well-placed to challenge again - we also have an edge over our closest rivals (City) in terms of pre-season prep / fixture congestion issues as we aren't seeing out the unusual Champion's League campaign.

    I'm really comfortable with the situation.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

  4. #1444
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    18,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Have the club failed to do so? We were crying out for a new left back and we just got one.
    I'd suggest the club has failed to do so since summer 2018, though ive not got much to say on this new leftback.

    Going off transfermarkt we overpaid for him, but that can be the price of Klopp getting his man.
    Imo Williams, Ki-Hoever and Lewis were decent youth players, lewis a bit hamstrung with injuries, coupled with our midfield options and 3 resilient defenders... left back wasnt a big worry for me. A welcome addition to the squad nonetheless.

    With Lovrens sale fee, his, lallana and clynes wages gone, I'd expect the club is better off financially with this new left backs addition.

    For the season 19/20 our cl exit will have lost us some money, few home gate receipts lost due to covid, offset by our extra games, domestic cup runs, Charity shield, super cup and wcc title.

    We turned a profit in our transfer dealings so id expect a strong profit to have been generated in 19/20 and probably our second highest ever profit in a year.

    Aims for the coming season would be pretty obvious, retain our PL title and seek to regain our CL title. Not much change from our recent seasons - the big 2.

    So when i asked sid about why would it be from their own pockets ? I asked as from my perspective there is money in or at the club to spend and improvements to be made.

  5. #1445
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    City of Self Doubt
    Posts
    15,548
    Since summer 2018? Fuck Adrian and Minamino I guess... Both very useful and shrewd additions to the squad imo.

    From this I gather that you consider anyone not bought in as a supposed starter not worthy of the shirt - which one of our starters would you have replaced?

    There are arguably three areas we should have strengthened this summer - FW, CM and LB. We've fixed one, let's see how the rest works out. I get that shiny new signings are fun and all but they're not always the solution, especially if you're not looking for starters.


    I think it's most pressing to sign a fourth top attacker - someone who can genuinely challenge the three amigos for minutes. Werner would have been ideal, but we missed out since we weren't willing to commit the funds in the COVID-19 situation.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

  6. #1446
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    18,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    True. But -

    1. We finished 17 points ahead of our nearest challengers and 33 points ahead of 3rd spot, so massive upgrades are desirable, but not yet immediately imperative.

    2. Klopp is better than Solskjaer or Mourinho. I'd rate him higher than Guardiola too as he doesn't need to spend 400m on defenders to make his side better, but I appreciate some will disagree.

    3. If squads were trading cards, we've just swapped a 31-year old, 4th-choice centre-back with depreciating value for a 24-year old back-up left back who likely hasn't peaked yet, whilst reducing the wage bill (Tsimikas thought to be on 50k a week to Lovren's 100k a week, which is an upgrade on the squad, which is precisely what we want.

    4. Chemistry between pre-existing players in terms of movement patterns should be even better in 20/21 as we have kept the squad together, whilst younger players have had an extra season of development, which is another incremental upgrade.

    So unless there is a disaster, we are well-placed to challenge again - we also have an edge over our closest rivals (City) in terms of pre-season prep / fixture congestion issues as we aren't seeing out the unusual Champion's League campaign.

    I'm really comfortable with the situation.
    1) Yawns
    City and Chelsea have posted 90+ points totals in recent seasons. A few additions of note can have great returns. Our summer 2018 a testament to that fact.
    Think its rather complacent to view it as you do and it also ignores our losing our cl title. As Milner pointed out our form post the return wasnt exactly as hot as prior to that and other teams can have a summer 2018 in 2020.

    2) i think Klopp is the best around, but its a moot point citing his not needing to spend money. He absolutely needed to spend money to get in players Alisson and VVD wr signings. Its a function of the game/inflation but most of lfcs record signings have occured under Klopp. He will also have to contend with others spending.

    3) yeah its a fair point, i only wonder how many games he'll get. If youre not playing its hard to increase your MV.

    4) Brewter on loan, Jones Cameos and Williams too probably the best in this regard. Its a big step up to our first team regular level all the same.
    Our patterns of play can also be predictability of play, success brings a target.
    A neccesary increase is assumptive. A basic, perhaps insignificant, trend analysis shows a slight decline for bobby and mo, a slight increase for sadio in terms of goals&assists.
    We had a better goal difference, goals scored and conceded record in 18/19 too. Goals conceded could be put down to Ali being out but Adrian fared well.

    I like how you can spin our relinquishing of our cl title into a positive.
    But city have a big squad to afford recovery and get through some warm ups.

    A fine line between comfort and complacency in sport with potentially devastating consequences.

    Im expecting more proactive measures this summer to build on our hitherto success and ensure more of it.

  7. #1447
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    15,117
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    So when i asked sid about why would it be from their own pockets ? I asked as from my perspective there is money in or at the club to spend and improvements to be made.
    I think you got that from a post where I had asked Noods about what it would take for him to come around on FSG, in reference to him highlighting that FSG hadn't spend "from their own pockets" and I laid out some stuff as to why I felt that didn't matter
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

  8. #1448
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    15,117
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Think its rather complacent to view it as you do and it also ignores our losing our cl title.

    I like how you can spin our relinquishing of our cl title into a positive.
    Just to address this, I was really disappointed we didn't progress past Atletico. There is no desire to "spin it as a positive" - there is a positive to be found in the context of our 20/21 season in that we will have had a better pre-season than City and will avoid fixture congestion, certainly. But that doesn't make me happy that we went out whatsoever - it was very bad in the context of our 19/20 season.

    Hope that clarifies a little. Statistically we were all over Atletico and the eye test would say the same, but a lack of clinical finishing in the first leg cost us and/or a couple of Adrian errors within a 26-minute window in the second leg through the misfortune of Alisson being unavailable. I genuinely don't think anything in the transfer market would have addressed this - we just didn't do enough in "moments" of both ties, which happens in Football.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

  9. #1449
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    18,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Since summer 2018? Fuck Adrian and Minamino I guess... Both very useful and shrewd additions to the squad imo.

    From this I gather that you consider anyone not bought in as a supposed starter not worthy of the shirt - which one of our starters would you have replaced?

    There are arguably three areas we should have strengthened this summer - FW, CM and LB. We've fixed one, let's see how the rest works out. I get that shiny new signings are fun and all but they're not always the solution, especially if you're not looking for starters.


    I think it's most pressing to sign a fourth top attacker - someone who can genuinely challenge the three amigos for minutes. Werner would have been ideal, but we missed out since we weren't willing to commit the funds in the COVID-19 situation.
    Adrian has played his part admirably, a good backup keeper who youd expect in normal circumstances to only play in domestic cups, id suggest Karius had a good run too before his mental breakdown.
    Minamino hasnt done much yet but he looks to be finding his feet and a position in the team for now. Think origi is more effective as of now.

    Not quite, the question posed to sid was around the owners digging into their pockets perspective. I cant see how this claim is warranted to date or in further summer additions. The club doesnt seem to be taking money out of their pockets by any conceivable measure.
    The transfers have paid for themselves/the clubs income, profits have been noteworthy and the return in terms of value on their asset/the clubs value steep.
    As steveo points out they were shrewd investors.
    Think youre confusing your impressions with your interjection into a conversation whilst not attending to the question posed perhaps.
    I do think there is a significant differnece between the impacts of VVD & Alisson to Adrian & Tako.

    Imo the Fwd is the most pressing need. The lb a welcome addition and on cm only if gini is off imo.

    Personally think we need a forward who can come into our front 3 rather seemlessly and one who could play in a 4231 with the 3 behind. Weve yet to see the best of Keita over a prolonged period in a midfield 3 and ultimatley imo a 42X/31 would be more effective with a 4th attacker in circumstances and covering for injury.

    Its a big ask of Brewster, to come in for Mo/Bobby/Sadio and also to lead the line with them behind him.

    At the top level of club football its all about winning games and scoring goals. Thats why a fwd would be our most pressing acquisition.
    If brewster comes good too all the better. Maybe Klopp will take a punt on him.

    I take a lot of the clubs public utterances on transfers with a bucket of salt.

  10. #1450
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    15,117
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Not quite, the question posed to sid was around the owners digging into their pockets perspective. I cant see how this claim is warranted to date or in further summer additions. The club doesnt seem to be taking money out of their pockets by any conceivable measure.

    The transfers have paid for themselves.

    At the top level of club football its all about winning games and scoring goals. Thats why a fwd would be our most pressing acquisition.
    If brewster comes good too all the better. Maybe Klopp will take a punt on him.
    Noods was saying the club haven't dug into their pockets, not me. I can see that the club have spent generated income rather than "their own" money and I am fine with it.

    If Brewster comes good and saves us millions on a transfer, anti-FSG folks will say "bah, bloody FSG, not spending again" rather than giving credit that money wasn't spent and we allowed a player to develop - they can't win!
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Similar Threads

  1. Winter transfer thread
    By Balinkay in forum Football Forum
    Replies: 821
    Last Post: 8th February 2020, 06:34 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •